6 spoke wheels - Wrist Twisters

Old 01-13-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

6 spoke wheels

Anyone here working To part ways with there 6 spoke wheels.?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM
WERA481

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitesnake View Post
Anyone here working To part ways with there 6 spoke wheels.?

What wheels are you referring to?

Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkraft View Post
What wheels are you referring to?
Whether or not he is fully conversant on the swap, what he is referring to is getting a set of the classic 6 spoke swap wheels, namely an F3 front and a 900RR rear.
The F3 front needs some adaptor pieces.
The 900RR rear is true straight bolt in BUT if one wants to also use the smaller OD 900RR disc, then a 900RR rear brake caliper and slave cylinder are also required.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Whether or not he is fully conversant on the swap, what he is referring to is getting a set of the classic 6 spoke swap wheels, namely an F3 front and a 900RR rear.
The 900RR rear is true straight bolt in BUT if one wants to also use the smaller OD 900RR disc, then a 900RR rear brake caliper and slave cylinder are also required.
I don't think the 900RR rear brake setup is a direct fit. If so I took the long route, moved the block on the swing arm 1/2 lower and used a VTR rear brake bracket. I also used all the stock 919 brake components but installed new pads. All in all a complete waste of time and money for a slightly "racier" rear brake. LOL!

I have a set of front wheel spacers left. I'll take $40 shipped in the USA.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:59 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray.beard View Post
I don't think the 900RR rear brake setup is a direct fit. If so I took the long route, moved the block on the swing arm 1/2 lower and used a VTR rear brake bracket. I also used all the stock 919 brake components but installed new pads. All in all a complete waste of time and money for a slightly "racier" rear brake. LOL!

I have a set of front wheel spacers left. I'll take $40 shipped in the USA.
Thanks for piping up on this.
I can't say for sure, I was going purely by memory of old posts of some years ago.
"Someone" said 900 RR caliper on 900RR bracket with 900 RR rotor was straight bolt up.
I know for sure from personal experience that a 900RR rotor bolts up to the 919 hub, but the rotor is smaller, and will not work with the 919 caliper and bracket.
I guess if someone wants to use a 900 rear rotor on a 919, they will have to check very carefully and be ready for some weld fabrication work.

Good on you for all the adapting you did!
Regardless of how you felt afterwards.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM
WERA481

Quote:

So 1999 and earlier were the six spoke rear wheel, and no longer available from Honda correct?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Thanks for piping up on this.
I can't say for sure, I was going purely by memory of old posts of some years ago.
"Someone" said 900 RR caliper on 900RR bracket with 900 RR rotor was straight bolt up.
I know for sure from personal experience that a 900RR rotor bolts up to the 919 hub, but the rotor is smaller, and will not work with the 919 caliper and bracket.
I guess if someone wants to use a 900 rear rotor on a 919, they will have to check very carefully and be ready for some weld fabrication work.

Good on you for all the adapting you did!
Regardless of how you felt afterwards.
I'm happy with the result but I'm the first to admit it made no improvement other than the smaller rotor looks "cooler" in my mind.

I went the VTR bracket route as that's what I read would work. Unfortunately it didn't work and I had 2 options, modify the bracket (notice the black marker on the brake bracket) or move the block on the swing arm. My welder would not modify the bracket as he felt it could be a liability so he moved the block on the swing arm.

I think almost every Honda uses the same rear caliper, only variation would be the color. The bracket simply places the caliper at the correct location based on the diameter of the brake rotor. I'm not sure why Honda doesn't place the block at the same place on every swingarm. That would have made this was super simple, 900RR/VTR rear rotor and VTR rear bracket.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkraft View Post
So 1999 and earlier were the six spoke rear wheel, and no longer available from Honda correct?
Not sure on the exact years but that sounds about right. My rear wheel has a 94 date code and is an Enkei. When in doubt I check partzilla.com. The part numbers should be very close from year to year with the color code making the part numbers slightly different.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Not sure on the exact years but that sounds about right. My rear wheel has a 94 date code and is an Enkei. When in doubt I check partzilla.com. The part numbers should be very close from year to year with the color code making the part numbers slightly different.
OK, now things are starting to gel for me.
Thanks for the added comments.

I did some fishing about in the EBC catalogue.
Going by that:
1-the VTR(1000F) (aka Firestorm internationally and Super Hawk in Nor' Am') used the same rotor as all the 900RRs did.
2-ditto re brake pad and therefore the brake pad and backing plate patterns are also common.
3-all 919s used the same brake pad and therefore brake pad and backing plate patterns as the VTRs & 900RRs.
4-the EBC data is suggestive that the rear calipers are common for VTRs, 900RRs and 919s. (as you were saying)

Next, allow that the 919 uses a larger OK rotor.
It's straightforward that the bracket would have to be different for the 919, in order to properly position the pads in the caliper on the larger rotor - regardless of whether the locating block was common or not.

Now I'm wondering if a 900RR bracket with the 919 caliper might all match up to a 900RR rotor on a 919.
If the VTR' and 900RR bracket P/Ns are common, then the answer is no.
But if they are different, maybe the 900RR bracket is a bolt on solution.

I was surprised to see the commonality of rear brake pad pattern across the VTRs, 900RRs and 919s.
My guess is that it's because it's the rear brake and not the front.
I say that on the basis of comparing the F4i front brakes to the 919s.
Their respective rotor ODs and sweep are the same, but their caliper pistoning and pad patterns are significantly different.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
OK, now things are starting to gel for me.
Thanks for the added comments.

I did some fishing about in the EBC catalogue.
Going by that:
1-the VTR(1000F) (aka Firestorm internationally and Super Hawk in Nor' Am') used the same rotor as all the 900RRs did.
2-ditto re brake pad and therefore the brake pad and backing plate patterns are also common.
3-all 919s used the same brake pad and therefore brake pad and backing plate patterns as the VTRs & 900RRs.
4-the EBC data is suggestive that the rear calipers are common for VTRs, 900RRs and 919s. (as you were saying)

Next, allow that the 919 uses a larger OK rotor.
It's straightforward that the bracket would have to be different for the 919, in order to properly position the pads in the caliper on the larger rotor - regardless of whether the locating block was common or not.

Now I'm wondering if a 900RR bracket with the 919 caliper might all match up to a 900RR rotor on a 919.
If the VTR' and 900RR bracket P/Ns are common, then the answer is no.
But if they are different, maybe the 900RR bracket is a bolt on solution.

I was surprised to see the commonality of rear brake pad pattern across the VTRs, 900RRs and 919s.
My guess is that it's because it's the rear brake and not the front.
I say that on the basis of comparing the F4i front brakes to the 919s.
Their respective rotor ODs and sweep are the same, but their caliper pistoning and pad patterns are significantly different.
Looking at the 900 RR swing arm and brake bracket on partzilla.com the swing arm has the female and the brake caliper bracket has the male which makes that bracket non compatible with the VTR and 919.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:04 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

op gone

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
Old 01-17-2019, 08:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Looking at the 900 RR swing arm and brake bracket on partzilla.com the swing arm has the female and the brake caliper bracket has the male which makes that bracket non compatible with the VTR and 919.
Good info for long term knowledge, following is my suggested consolidation of the info.
900RR/VTR (smaller OD) rear disc conversion requires a VTR brake bracket and weld type modification to swing arm bracket locating pad.
919 caliper can be reused.
919 pads are common with 900RR/VTR so pad selection can be made on the basis of any of the three models.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ill buy a set of those front shims if you have them. Just need To search ebay for wheels

Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitesnake View Post
Ill buy a set of those front shims if you have them. Just need To search ebay for wheels
Let me bring them in from the garage tomorrow. Once I have them in hand, I saw them last week, I'll send you a message.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I still have my set available. A few people have asked, but no one's ponied up the money yet. Dropped the price to $600 plus shipping. I don't want to have to take it all apart if I can afford not to.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...q3s-74306.html

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
Old 01-29-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Sent pm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in