Power Commander III Serial for Honda 919 - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Power Commander III Serial for Honda 919

I recently purchased a 2007 919 that had a serial version PCIII installed. It did not come with a cable to connect to a computer.

Best I can tell the previous owner never had it mapped correctly and was using the buttons to adjust.

It does work as the bike was running rough/cutting out at times at low/mid rpms and especially sometimes when taking off from a stop. I used the button controls to increase the low/mid rpm fueling. It made a definite difference as it stopped the choppiness and cutting out but was not as refined and as good of performance as it has now with a good map.

I have not had it connected by cable to a computer though.

I bought a PCIII-USB to replace this unit and had it mapped and the accelerator pump enabled/set and so I no longer need the serial unit.

I am new to this but the software and installation instructions for this unit are available on the Dynojet website.

It appears that there are some maps available if you ask/search around. The guy that did my map only creates them for PC3USB and PC5.

You can buy a USB to 9 pin serial cable from Best Buy, I did and returned it when I decided to go the other route.

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...ProdType=PCIII

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dl=206&yr=1343

Selling for $60 shipped in the CONUS by USPS flat rate box.
Payment through PayPal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1534699234208.jpg (127.3 KB, 10 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Tirone

Garage
Did the serial-to-USB cable you had for this work/communicate well? I know (from experience) that some serial chipsets are incompatible.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
Did the serial-to-USB cable you had for this work/communicate well? I know (from experience) that some serial chipsets are incompatible.
I am not sure on that.
Didn't realize some cables may not be compatible.
Good info for someone interested in purchasing.

I bought the cable thinking I would try to find a map for my bike.
However, after I started digging into the details (first bike in 18 years and new to fuel injection) I decided to go a different route.
My laptop is a Mac and needed to borrow my in-laws computer to use software, etc.
I decided to buy the PC3-USB unit and returned the cable before investing any time/energy in this unit.

As a side note-plug. If anyone is looking for a map for a PCIII-USB or PC-V, and can't find one they like and want a cheaper alternative than paying for Dyno time/custom map, this is a great alternative.
$75 for a map (based on mods, elevation and temperature), accelerator pump settings and detailed instructions on how to calibrate the throttle.
http://jeffomaps.com/

Jeffo was extremely helpful from start to finish. Great customer service, takes the time to call you and have phone conversations. Really great guy, can't ride anymore due to hip surgery, but says he lives vicariously through his customers.

And while I am new to this, I can tell/feel how good this map is.
I rode with the old PC3, with the old PC3 fueling manually adjusted way up, the PC3USB with a stock map, and then with the Jeffo map. It is a completely different ride now.
Throttle now is extremely smooth and responsive, including deceleration.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2018, 07:34 PM
McTavish

Re USB x Serial Port Adaptors re old PC3s.
PC3 being the design that preceded the PCIIIusb, needing PC3 software, and using maps in .map format.
If one is using a USB x Serial Port computer output adaptor in order to patch up to an old serial port PC3, some such adaptors are highly problematic for the PC software, to the point that DynoJet issued a caution on the matter years ago, along with a recommendation.
At the time, DynoJet recommended a Belkin F5U257 Data Transfer Cable Adaptor, which is a Male X Male type adaptor. I was able to source one back in 2011, but I have no clue as to what is presently available, let alone if that particular one is still available.Further, the correct adaptor alone will not solve the problem, as the correct driver has to first be successfully installed before the adaptor will work properly.

Others have successfully used other adaptors, but I have no records as to what else has been used that worked.
XXWoodmanXX likes this.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Sold.

Thanks all for the helpful info on this model of Power Commander.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode