FS - OHLINS F3 Shock - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SilverJS

post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

FS - OHLINS F3 Shock (Bolt-In for 919....mostly)

As I've hinted at in my build thread linked below, I'm thinking of selling my F3 Ohlins rear shock, and am looking for help from the community in determining an adequate price. The F3 shocks bolt right in to the 919's - mostly. =)

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ml#post1277906

For those of you who haven't been following, during the course of my build, I found an F3 Ohlins shock that I had Windmill Motorsports here in Ontario completely rebuild, and also add a hydraulic preload adjuster. I also had them add in a remote reservoir hose length that matched the OEM 919's. I've got two springs for it - 160 nm and 180 nm.

I've had this thing in my garage for a year and a half now, and I haven't yet installed it - because I haven't had the time. Full disclosure (which you'd get by reading the last parts of the thread anyway) : There will be some shock mounting point grinding required to make this shock fit - the reservoir hose banjo bolt gets in the way. It has been done before by a member of the forum (mntnceguy). The shock literally bolts right in in every way, except for that.

I'm thinking of selling because I will be getting even busier (work is getting busier, and we have a second child on the way). I guess I'm ready at this point to just get the pre-engineered solution (the Dan Kyle 919 Ohlins) and enjoy it. The grinding is minor, but for some reason, that sits as a huge stumbling block for me. I don't have the right tools, and I have less and less of an inclination to spend the time to do it - but I think that it would probably be child's play for a lot of people on this forum. I guess I just want the bike to be good to go when I have time to ride - not spend time grinding and dialing it in and such.

Another reason for doing this now is that I'm currently in the States, starting the third month of a 3-month training course. I'll be going home (anytime now!) for the birth of my second child, for about a week, then I come back to the States and finish the course. That basically means two things :

1. I don't have the very latest pictures of the shock - only those seen in the thread, as I don't have the shock with me;
2. More importantly, I can bring it back with me when I fly back, meaning no import fees or anything if someone stateside buys it. I'd just ship it from here.

I have included a picture that I had taken just before my first install attempt, when I found out I'd have to grind. I also included pictures of the shock (also from the thread) when I had it mounted, so you can see what needs to be done.

So, to reiterate : what do you guys think is a reasonable price? I'm not looking to gouge anybody, and you'll find me to be a motivated seller, I believe. I just don't want to be totally had as well. If I can't get a halfway decent price for it, I'll probably just end up paying Windmill to fit it properly.

Again, in the interests of full disclosure : I spent 300$ CAD to purchase the shock, spent at least that amount again in having it rebuilt and all that, and also purchased a brand-new spring for it (the 160nm).

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1804 (3).jpg (172.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1811.jpg (180.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1813.jpg (191.6 KB, 18 views)
CB 919 likes this.

2006 Honda 919
2003 Honda RC51 (sold)
1989 Yamaha FZR400 w/ stock, YZF600, and 661cc engines (661 = YZF600 bottom end, FZR600 top end) (sold)
1986 Yamaha TZR250 (sold)
1989 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Oh - just realized I forgot something. The shock currently has no spring on it. I had sent it to Windmill to have the spring removed, so that I could, at mntnceguy's suggestion (that's what he had done), compress that back end all the way to full squat when grinding, to be sure I was removing only the necessary material and no more (and no less!!).

2006 Honda 919
2003 Honda RC51 (sold)
1989 Yamaha FZR400 w/ stock, YZF600, and 661cc engines (661 = YZF600 bottom end, FZR600 top end) (sold)
1989 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2017, 04:27 PM
The Dead Head

Garage
A good price is more than I can afford! I wish I could make you a good offer

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

You won't know if it's good or not until you make it. =) PM if you're more comfortable.

2006 Honda 919
2003 Honda RC51 (sold)
1989 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2017, 11:33 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I didn't read the whole build thread, but I'm trying to sum this up. This shock was designed for the F3 and would be shorter than the 919 shock?

In other words the stock F3 shock doesn't work in the 919 even with grinding right? So someone had to extend something to make it fit?

If you did a side by side and spec by spec compare of the Ohlins 919 and F3 they would differ in length, remote res, and what else?

post #6 of 11 Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I didn't read the whole build thread, but I'm trying to sum this up. This shock was designed for the F3 and would be shorter than the 919 shock?

In other words the stock F3 shock doesn't work in the 919 even with grinding right? So someone had to extend something to make it fit?

If you did a side by side and spec by spec compare of the Ohlins 919 and F3 they would differ in length, remote res, and what else?
Negligible differences in length - and, the F3 one is actually longer, by a smidge. If I recall, the 919 one is 287mm eye-to-eye, while the F3 is 292. You might be thinking the F3 is shorter due to the widespread belief (which is correct, in a way) that the F3 shock typically results in a lower ride height - that's because the stock F3 shock, when used as is (without any corrective work), is way, way undersprung for a 919 due to the 919 using an unlinked suspension vice the F3's linked setup. If putting an F3 shock, without making any changes to the shock, in a 919, the shock will compress way too much, resulting in a lower ride height.

However, my Ohlins shock has already had all the revalve work done for a 919-caliber spring, and is pretty much ready to be put on.

As for whether a stock F3 shock fits into the 919 - I would very much assume so, given the Ohlins one does. I'm not sure where the stock F3 remote reservoir banjo bolt is, though.

As for your last question - the F3 Ohlins typically does NOT have a hydraulic remote preload adjuster, but mine has one retrofitted (Windmill had one laying around). My shock's remote reservoir looks to be a tad bigger than the Ohlins 919's, but I can't be sure from the pictures. My shock's original remote reservoir hose length was just crazy long, as I recall, and it needed to be replaced anyway, so we went with one that was about the same length as the stock 919 one's from the shock to the end of the reservoir. (My hose is actually 1" or so longer to account for the different placement of the banjo bolt from the stock shock.)

Hope this answers our questions.

2006 Honda 919
2003 Honda RC51 (sold)
1989 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)
post #7 of 11 Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJS View Post
Negligible differences in length - and, the F3 one is actually longer, by a smidge. If I recall, the 919 one is 287mm eye-to-eye, while the F3 is 292. You might be thinking the F3 is shorter due to the widespread belief (which is correct, in a way) that the F3 shock typically results in a lower ride height - that's because the stock F3 shock, when used as is (without any corrective work), is way, way undersprung for a 919 due to the 919 using an unlinked suspension vice the F3's linked setup. If putting an F3 shock, without making any changes to the shock, in a 919, the shock will compress way too much, resulting in a lower ride height.

However, my Ohlins shock has already had all the revalve work done for a 919-caliber spring, and is pretty much ready to be put on.

As for whether a stock F3 shock fits into the 919 - I would very much assume so, given the Ohlins one does. I'm not sure where the stock F3 remote reservoir banjo bolt is, though.

As for your last question - the F3 Ohlins typically does NOT have a hydraulic remote preload adjuster, but mine has one retrofitted (Windmill had one laying around). My shock's remote reservoir looks to be a tad bigger than the Ohlins 919's, but I can't be sure from the pictures. My shock's original remote reservoir hose length was just crazy long, as I recall, and it needed to be replaced anyway, so we went with one that was about the same length as the stock 919 one's from the shock to the end of the reservoir. (My hose is actually 1" or so longer to account for the different placement of the banjo bolt from the stock shock.)

Hope this answers our questions.
Given that, I would guess the price should be about what a reg Ohlins for a 919 would be less whatever the value/cost/... of trimming the mount to clear.

At this point, the shock won't work with an F3 without re-valving back original. Someone would expect a discount on this because they could just get the Ohlins you are getting. Maybe try a $150 discount from a new one?

Two last questions:
1) what was the cost of having all this work done? It sounds like you might be into that shock more than it would have cost to just get the 919 shock from the start.

2) how would this shock be different from taking a used F3 and having them do the work you've done?

My thinking is that if a 919 Ohlins is about $900 new, maybe what 700 used? <wild guess> and if the F3 used and reworked is $300 ish... this might put yours in between those two. Some might put it the same as a used re-valved F3 shock even though it should be at least a fresh re-valved F3.
Kinda depends on if there is any difference between the reworked F3 and the Ohlins.

Edit: sorry, just saw your 1st post, it looks like your about $600 into this. $300 for a use F3 shock seems a bit steep, I thought someone was selling a ready to go setup for $350 ish.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Given that, I would guess the price should be about what a reg Ohlins for a 919 would be less whatever the value/cost/... of trimming the mount to clear.

At this point, the shock won't work with an F3 without re-valving back original. Someone would expect a discount on this because they could just get the Ohlins you are getting. Maybe try a $150 discount from a new one?

Two last questions:
1) what was the cost of having all this work done? It sounds like you might be into that shock more than it would have cost to just get the 919 shock from the start.

2) how would this shock be different from taking a used F3 and having them do the work you've done?

My thinking is that if a 919 Ohlins is about $900 new, maybe what 700 used? <wild guess> and if the F3 used and reworked is $300 ish... this might put yours in between those two. Some might put it the same as a used re-valved F3 shock even though it should be at least a fresh re-valved F3.
Kinda depends on if there is any difference between the reworked F3 and the Ohlins.

Edit: sorry, just saw your 1st post, it looks like your about $600 into this. $300 for a use F3 shock seems a bit steep, I thought someone was selling a ready to go setup for $350 ish.
OK, thanks for the reply.

You answered your question 1 yourself; I'll have to ask you to elaborate on Q2, as I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Who's "them"? And essentially, that's exactly what I did - get a used Ohlins F3, get it revalved to work with the 919 suspension mechanics, and now here we are. All internals are brand-new, and Windmill told me they used the HO201 (Ohlins for 919) specs as a baseline to revalve this shock, and pretty much copied them.

(BTW, some of the wording in your post leads me to believe you might think this is just a generic stock OEM F3 shock - you do realize it's an Ohlins item, right? Pretty sure you do, but just want to confirm)

What's this "F3 used and reworked" for 300$ or 350$ that you're talking about? I'm not sure I'm tracking...

Thanks!

2006 Honda 919
2003 Honda RC51 (sold)
1989 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJS View Post
OK, thanks for the reply.

You answered your question 1 yourself; I'll have to ask you to elaborate on Q2, as I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Who's "them"? And essentially, that's exactly what I did - get a used Ohlins F3, get it revalved to work with the 919 suspension mechanics, and now here we are. All internals are brand-new, and Windmill told me they used the HO201 (Ohlins for 919) specs as a baseline to revalve this shock, and pretty much copied them.

(BTW, some of the wording in your post leads me to believe you might think this is just a generic stock OEM F3 shock - you do realize it's an Ohlins item, right? Pretty sure you do, but just want to confirm)

What's this "F3 used and reworked" for 300$ or 350$ that you're talking about? I'm not sure I'm tracking...

Thanks!
I think you cleared things up, it's basically an Ohlins 919 shock except for the slight mod that is needed. For some reason I was thinking of another shock that someone posted a while back, sorry.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
I think you cleared things up, it's basically an Ohlins 919 shock except for the slight mod that is needed. For some reason I was thinking of another shock that someone posted a while back, sorry.
Precisely right.

2006 Honda 919
2003 Honda RC51 (sold)
1989 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)
post #11 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Damn.. I'd be all over this if I could stick it into an F2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode