Your experiences re: craigslist - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Your experiences re: craigslist

Bought? Sold? How long listed? Was the seller/ buyer a pita ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

for the most part my experiences have been really good, both buying and selling. the worst part about selling is the constant barrage of emails that just say "do you still have it?" and when you reply yes you never hear anything else from them.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #3 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 07:13 PM
CG

In my experience, selling any used vehicle is a PITA. But you can minimize it. Never tell them where you live until they commit to a time. Some still don't show but you get fewer no-shows.

When buying, I see a lot of scams on CL. They always look almost too good to be true but worth contacting. The the vehicle is always out of state even though the ad said it was local. And there's always a sob story.

Must be some sort of scam ring.

post #4 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Cornicen

I have had good luck but I suggest not using the CL email setup or listing any email. Scammers will wear you out. It is best to just list your phone number at the bottom of your description.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Princeps Prior

I've had my best luck selling bikes through the forums (so far....have bought and sold 16+).....most of the people who contact you will be legit --- especially if they have a high post count.

When I'm looking for a particular bike --- I'll log on to that forum and look for a while. Others do the same..... (ex. R1forums.com, TLplanet.com, SupermotoJunkie.com, hayabusa.org)

-------- I've sold stuff through Craigslist..... I agree --- don't pass your address around.....and be skeptical of EVERYTHING! Only accept cash OR be at the guys bank if he pays with a cashiers check.

so ---- with that said..... I'm now a member of WristTwisters.com ----> I have a 919 now!

post #6 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I'm the new fish listing a bicycle. We'll see.

post #7 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Tirone

I've had really good experiences with CL so far and I've sold a LOT of stuff on there.

cars, trucks, bikes, atv, snowmobiles, and lots of other smaller stuff.

For me, it's simple. I list my items acuratley and if they want to see more, they can come over, if they like it they buy. I don't haggle. If they are undecided, or iffy, they can drive back home and think about it while I show it to the next guy who shows up. Can't get much easier in my opinion.

I was surprised at the one thing I didn't expect to get from Craigslist...a motorcycle buddy. It's interesting how we met, kinda clicked and now he has turned out to be a pretty neat friend.

Good luck with the sale of your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider
Remember, a bike is like a woman. she'll appreciate your touch as long as she feels you want to take care of her.
2008 VStar 1100 Custom "Phat Nasty"
post #8 of 30 Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks Rez. So far no hits. I may be priced a bit high/ scaring buyers away. But I never rode the thing.

post #9 of 30 Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
for the most part my experiences have been really good, both buying and selling. the worst part about selling is the constant barrage of emails that just say "do you still have it?" and when you reply yes you never hear anything else from them.

+1, a couple emails, maybe a phone call, then never hear from them again, no common courtesy...

post #10 of 30 Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Immune

I've had good luck selling stuff on CL, but you always get the low-ballers that are kind of annoying... Stuff usually goes in a few days or a week depending on price...

I'd be careful posting a phone number though - from what I've heard there is always the possibility of someone doing a reverse look-up on the number to find the associated address and then they know where to go find a specific item they might want to steal... I like to build an email relationship with someone through a few email correspondences before giving them an email or address to come visit.

post #11 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Optio

Sold a few bikes and cars on CL. Don't bother to reply to the morons who email you asking your rock bottom price. In fact, never throw out a number until the buyer does. You've already listed your asking price. If they think it's too high, then they should make an offer. Otherwise, you're bidding against yourself, which is never a good idea. If the buyer isn't willing to make an offer, they're not a serious buyer and don't deserve your time.

I've only had one guy who was a pain. Sold him a bike that had been down once at a fair price. Everything that was a functional part -- headlight, brake levers, exhaust -- had been fixed or replaced. A couple cosmetic things I didn't bother with. I showed him everything and was up front about it all. He takes it to the dealer for a service, and they start telling him they would've sold it to him for way less than he paid me. (Which was bull. I've visited that dealer a bunch when I was shopping for the bike and they never had any good deals.) Starts emailing me about how I ripped him off. Whatever, dude. You agreed on the price and I'm not giving you any money back. What a pain!

post #12 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 06:53 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have bought and sold two motorcycles on Craig’s List and so far my experience has been great. I think it is because I mainly use my work e-mail address to correspond with people. When people see I am responding or writing to them from a government e-mail address they seem to treat me a lot better. I have far less no shows and when they show up first thing they do is show me the money so I show them the keys. I have had people walk away from a sale but in the end I get it sold in a week or two from posting. Make sure you have a lot of photos and be real honest when talking about the bike in your e-mail correspondence. In Colorado we do have a full disclosure law but really it states if you ask about it then I have to tell you otherwise I can keep my mouth shut. Find out if your state or city has the same law in place and if so DO NOT LIE about anything otherwise it will come back to hurt you.

Good luck with your sale. If you need help I can sell it for you at a 3% fee.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #13 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Noob

Some people who sell on Craigslist just don't get it. I started looking for my 919 in early May of this year. I found one nearby, an 07 with low miles and in good condition. I went to see it within a few days of it being posted. I called the guy later and made him an offer. He was asking $4500 and I offered $4300 cash (that's less than 5% off). He griped and moaned, telling me that the bike was worth exactly his asking price. He called me back later and said that he had someone else coming to buy the bike that weekend (scare tactic?). I told him to call me if he doesn't buy it. Five days later he calls me, but still refuses to take a dollar less than his asking price. After this frustration, I found another bike. It was a 2 hour drive away, but the seller was motivated and friendly. When I got the bike home I had my friend take a picture of me standing next to the bike, which I then emailed to the original guy telling him I'm not in the market any more, and asking if he liked my new bike (which looked like a clone of his). Two months have passed and his bike is still listed on Craigslist... I guess he's still not flexible on the price.
Mike M.

post #14 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I can now say my first experience was good. Listed the bicycle on thursday. Sold on sunday to another bikie for 98% of asking price. Now the wife is motivated to sell stuff too. BONUS!

post #15 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemo View Post
Some people who sell on Craigslist just don't get it. I started looking for my 919 in early May of this year. I found one nearby, an 07 with low miles and in good condition. I went to see it within a few days of it being posted. I called the guy later and made him an offer. He was asking $4500 and I offered $4300 cash (that's less than 5% off). He griped and moaned, telling me that the bike was worth exactly his asking price. He called me back later and said that he had someone else coming to buy the bike that weekend (scare tactic?). I told him to call me if he doesn't buy it. Five days later he calls me, but still refuses to take a dollar less than his asking price. After this frustration, I found another bike. It was a 2 hour drive away, but the seller was motivated and friendly. When I got the bike home I had my friend take a picture of me standing next to the bike, which I then emailed to the original guy telling him I'm not in the market any more, and asking if he liked my new bike (which looked like a clone of his). Two months have passed and his bike is still listed on Craigslist... I guess he's still not flexible on the price.
Mike M.

I primarily see this with the inexperienced younger sellers. Thye can't seem to grasp the seriousness of the horrible economy and how little people really NEED a motorcycle versus lifes necessities. They see a KBB price and absolutely will not budge and end up keeping em or taking less than they were offered initially. Sometimes the first offer is the best and only offer you're gonna get. There's a couple of FZ1's local to me with low miles that I made good cash offers on and the sellers did the same thing yours did. Well, they still have em for sale and it's been a couple months since. If it's not selling at the asking price...guess what? You're too high on the price for the current economic situation . Bikes here in the midwest are cheap anyway so when mid Summer rolls around the prices drop even further and by the Fall....you're gonna have to give it away or end up keeping it until the following Spring. It's cyclicle. New bikes are cheap..how much does a seller think a used one is worth?

post #16 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Tirone

I've always had good experiences, both buying and selling on CL. However, caution is the word of the day. Matter of fact, I just received this email about a dune buggy I saw on my local CL that I asked about.

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for being interested in buying my VW dune buggy Manx style.
It is in EXCELLENT condition; the body and paint are great, no scratches and no dents; the interior is clean; it has never been involved in an accident; comes with all the documents needed for registration and clear title.
My final price on it is US $3,990. It is priced to sell fast !
My husband died one month ago and I decided to move closer to my parents(they are very old) in Canada and the buggy is here with me. As I am unable to travel in the near future and having no one to help me with the sale I decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay. Also because the buggy will be shipped from Canada to US I prefer to work with a third party in order to keep the both of us safe in this deal. I will be assured you will buy the buggy and you will be assured that you will receive it! Basically the money will be sent to them and they will keep the money until you receive the buggy and only after you inspect and drive it they will forward the money to me.

If you have other questions feel free to email.
Thank you!

I think I'm going to see how far I can play this out.

post #17 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Mofo View Post
I've always had good experiences, both buying and selling on CL. However, caution is the word of the day. Matter of fact, I just received this email about a dune buggy I saw on my local CL that I asked about.

I think I'm going to see how far I can play this out.

I can't believe that some people actually fall for that. Have fun with it.

post #18 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Only if it's really a Meyers might it be worth playing the line. even then.

post #19 of 30 Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

One suggestion I have is make sure you research how much the item you are selling is worth. About 7-8 years ago, my wife bought me a solid pine 6 gun cabinet from Walmart for about $50. It's nothing special so when I bought my gun vault I listed the cabinet on CL for $20. The 14 emails in the first 2 hours told me I WAAAAAY under-priced it. Someone actually thought I meant $200. Turns out Walmart sells them for around $100 now. Ooops.

You can always lower a "too-high" price. Good luck raising a "too-low" price.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #20 of 30 Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Optio

I've had folks try to raise a CL price on me all the time. My son's xbox crapped out and I called a guy who had a used one on CL for $75. Called him and got the scoop. When I said I wanted to come take a look, he asked what he'd listed it for. Huh? I said $75, and he said, "Well, I really don't want to sell it for that. I'll take $100 though." Whatever. I'll call you back if I can't find anything else. At least this time I didn't have to drive all the way to his house to find out he was an idiot.

post #21 of 30 Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Gets censored

Ive had good and bad, the good more so bought and sold maybe 20 bikes and a few jeeps. Hell I bought a 9er just to pilfer all the goodies for mine and sold it for 400 more than I paid, got A pcIII, some stands, a corbin, some givi bags and 400 smackers... sweet!

I also drove to BFE for a bike we agree was gonna sell for 2700 gave him the cash rode it and called it a deal and he asked for the rest of the money??? That pissed me off.

post #22 of 30 Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Old thread, new comment. I love Craigslist, have bought and sold dozens of bikes and cages using it, as well as hired several employees. I used to enjoy perusing the adult section for my daily entertainment, but it's gone now. That just leaves the amateurs in the casual encounters section to provide the laughs.

post #23 of 30 Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Just sold a martial arts torture rack/ leg stretcher on the list. The ad was up for 4 hours before some guy emailed looking for the exact item. How obscure is that! If you do it right, it's a great tool.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #24 of 30 Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Sold my RC51, purchased my 919, forks, stainless lines, corbin seat. All good transactions. One thing I usually try to avoid is having the transaction done at my house. If I do, I usually have everything ready to go outside, so no need to go into the garage or house to have a look. I'll meet people at coffee shops, mall parking lots, and public places if I'm buying.

post #25 of 30 Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

^ with the rate of recent murders with CL I would say meet in a Police Station Parking lot.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #26 of 30 Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 AM
smileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Sold my RC51, purchased my 919, forks, stainless lines, corbin seat. All good transactions. One thing I usually try to avoid is having the transaction done at my house. If I do, I usually have everything ready to go outside, so no need to go into the garage or house to have a look. I'll meet people at coffee shops, mall parking lots, and public places if I'm buying.
Amen, I quickly learned to meet people somewhere else.

I sold a old Honda 3 wheeler and the "people" that showed up to buy it were, well, suspect.

They tried to get into my garage and backyard and it was a PIA to tell them all I had for sale was that 3 wheeler they bought and let's toss it in the back of your rusted out pickup with the nice black primer paint and get your arses on down the road -

post #27 of 30 Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Milites Gregarius

I bought my current bike from Craigslist and it was a great experience. Follow one simple rule and 99% of the scams will be eliminated.

Only deal face to face! Don't ever pay for something on craigslist that you can't touch first. There are tons of scams on there but if you can touch it you are probably safe to buy it.

IMO lots of good stuff gets sold on bike specific forums. But, the really great deals usually don't happen there. I got my bike for 75% of what it was worth. I've only seen one deal that good on the bike forum and if you didn't see it in the first hour you were out of luck.

post #28 of 30 Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have only had good experiences with CL - both buying and selling.

One major thing to take into consideration though, is what categories are you looking in?
I've gotten some really great deals on items from the "materials" and "farm+garden" categories for home projects. But I am really turned off by buying things like iPods & other personal electronic devices & such... you know, things that could be easily stolen & resold for a quick buck.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ1200 View Post
I sold a old Honda 3 wheeler and the "people" that showed up to buy it were, well, suspect. They tried to get into my garage and backyard and it was a PIA to tell them all I had for sale was that 3 wheeler they bought and let's toss it in the back of your rusted out pickup with the nice black primer paint and get your arses on down the road -

I love craigslist and whenever I meet up with somebody, I always wear my $2 official looking police hat and carry my gun with me. It scares the shit out of em. One time I met a couple guys from Cincinnati halfway in between there and Indy and the bike was supposed to look and run showroom new. Well, it looked good but ran like crap (gummed up carbs) and I informed em I couldn't pay that for a bad running bike and the younger punk got verbally abusive and actually started coming towards me...until I lifted my shirt and asked him if there was a problem? I told em I wasn't the one who was trying to pull something and they could either knock $350 off for the carb cleaning that they already knew it needed or take it back home...didn't matter to me. I rode it home for $350 bucks less. God bless firearms.

post #30 of 30 Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM
The Cripple

be careful 1fastrex, that can and most likely will be considered "threatening" and would very easily land your ass in jail. for all we know, you could of threatened them to drop their price $350 for you to buy or "else"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode