WTB PGM-FI UNIT - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

WTB PGM-FI UNIT

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a PGM-FI Unit for my 919. Part #38770-MCZ-A32. My dad was installing some additional LED brake lights for me and accidentally drilled a hole in the fuel injection unit thinking it was the bottom of the tail unit.

Does anyone have one or know if it's something that can be repaired??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

wow, this is the second time I see this being done. It was all over MC forums.

Anyway, you should keep your eye on ebay. It's something that you don't see for sale too often unless bike is being parted out.

You can always try the dealer but it won't be cheap, around $700 to as much as $1037. No, unfortunately it can't be repaired if it looks like swiss cheese

post #3 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Le So Cal Troll

well... hold up.

Take a pic of the unit... its slightly possible that you might of gotten lucky and it was on the edge of the unit and didnt hit something too hard to repair.

Other than that... good luck, like stated you rarely see those, and new they are crazy expensive.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Needs training wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
well... hold up.

Take a pic of the unit... its slightly possible that you might of gotten lucky and it was on the edge of the unit and didnt hit something too hard to repair.

Other than that... good luck, like stated you rarely see those, and new they are crazy expensive.
EXTREMELY hard to get the unit open to access the board. How do I know? I made the same mistake!

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...4-a-28663.html

post #5 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I gotta ask, how the heck do people manage to do this???

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #6 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Needs training wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
I gotta ask, how the heck do people manage to do this???
The thing is at the furthest point back on the tail. Not a normal spot for any ECU. Plus it's just black plastic and looks like the top of the undertail plastics. The really bad ones are the guys who put their plates under their seats in front of their rear wheel. On most sport bikes that's where the ECU is from what I've seen. Not a problem with the 919 since the ECU is so damn far back! Stupid! Live and learn.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
That's where the voltage regulator/rectifier is on the 919.

Also... why would you NOT take the tail off to do this? If you did, you'd clearly be able to see the box there and the wires leading into it might maybe trip an alarm bell or two before you approached it with the Black and Decker...

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #8 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcrew02 View Post
The thing is at the furthest point back on the tail. Not a normal spot for any ECU. Plus it's just black plastic and looks like the top of the undertail plastics. The really bad ones are the guys who put their plates under their seats in front of their rear wheel. On most sport bikes that's where the ECU is from what I've seen. Not a problem with the 919 since the ECU is so damn far back! Stupid! Live and learn.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
It's something that you don't see for sale too often unless bike is being parted out.

You can always try the dealer but it won't be cheap, around $700 to as much as $1037. No, unfortunately it can't be repaired if it looks like swiss cheese
I was afraid of that. $615 is the cheapest I've seen so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
My bike is still at my parent's house (1 hour away) as I didn't want to attempt to ride it. It did start however, but the fuel injection light on the dash stayed on. When I gave the throttle a twist, it stumbled a bit then rev'ed up just fine. I didn't want to risk further damaging the bike so I shut it off and rolled it back in the garage.

The hole was drilled from the top. Facing the bike from the left side, it is on the close side of the frame just to the right of the part number sticker. It's a pretty small hole, hard to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcrew02 View Post
I made the same mistake!
It really sucks not being able to ride as it's suppose to be a super nice week. Good find with getting your replacement for ~$300. How difficult was it to do the swap? Do you have to tear down the tail pretty far to get to it?

post #10 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

It's easy to get to.

1. Take the seat off.
2. Two 10mm bolts underneath rubber caps that hold the rear cowl on, as well as two plastic push-in clips at the front of the cowl, one on each side.
3. Remove the wires connected to the taillight and set the cowl aside.
4. Two bolts on the side of the rear tray (look at the back of the tray, just inside if the exhaust exit points). Take those out.
5. Under the fender, above the hugger, are two more small bolts that hold the bottom of the tray to the frame, take those out.

The whole rear of the tray should move a good 10" at this point, more than plenty of room to play with the ECU and wiring harness.

Oh, and call around to some salvage yards or check ebay. The ECU is one of those units that if it's still in one piece and hasn't gotten wet, it probably still works.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
It's easy to get to. .......
That doesn't sound too bad. Well the bullet has been bitten and a replacement ordered, it should be here Friday. It's unhealthy to go too long without riding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode