WTB: Handguards (Acerbis, Barkbusters, or Zeta) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

WTB: Handguards (Acerbis, Barkbusters, or Zeta)

I'm looking to get some handguards, figured I'd try here before buying new to save a few bucks. If anyone has one collecting dust or want to get rid of...

I'm looking at the Acerbis Dual Road (bar-end mounted), but anything that is universal and will fit the 9er I'll take an interest on (Barkbuster Storm or Zeta Impact for example)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I love my Storms, 41 degrees yesterday and I was wearing my regular gloves, fingertips still get a little cold but they did with my big Held winter gloves too.
The Storms were quite a bit cheaper than the Acerbis too.

Dan
post #3 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

It looks like the Storms offer a bit more protection than the Dual Roads as well, but I like the look and sleekness of the Acerbis Dual Roads....

MCSS has the Dual Roads for $111 shipped, not bad

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller

post #4 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
It looks like the Storms offer a bit more protection than the Dual Roads as well, but I like the look and sleekness of the Acerbis Dual Roads....

MCSS has the Dual Roads for $111 shipped, not bad
I have the dual roads and they help a little with the wind, but I still have heated gloves for when it gets below 40 F. They do look good tho.

post #5 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 06:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

They do look better than my Storms...

post #6 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I rode 2 days ago in 38* weather coming home from the gym (15-20 min ride). With the wind chills, my Olympia insulated gloves with an extra glove liner had my fingers numb when I pulled into the driveway.

Heated gloves might be the next step if the guards don't do it.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #7 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

With heated grips and guards I can ride in the upper 30's with my summer gloves.

post #8 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I bet Hippo Hands work good

post #9 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Those are way slick and look easy to install. I might have considered them if I'd seen them before I . . . . .

I just put on a set of big honking Moose Racing hand guards for about half the money. So, with that in mind, I like 'em just fine.

Moose Racing Aluminum Handguards - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

Moose Racing Large Competition Handguard Protector - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

I did have to get longer bolts for the inner mounts to clear the cables.
post #10 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM
hooligan on the 919

Anyone know if its possible to run handguards with bar-end mirrors? i've been wanting to do the handguard thing for a while now but really love having a bar-end mirror.

post #11 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-man View Post
Anyone know if its possible to run handguards with bar-end mirrors? i've been wanting to do the handguard thing for a while now but really love having a bar-end mirror.
yup, barkbusters storm S1

post #12 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I know the Barkbusters Storm S1 should work with bar-ends. Those just clamp onto the handlebars and leave the ends alone.

MM: Handlebar muffs! Just what I need at half the price (of guards). Looks like twisted throttle carries Oxford, with heat pad holders already built in.

*edit: PVster beat me to the punch

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #13 of 31 Old 11-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I know the Barkbusters Storm S1 should work with bar-ends. Those just clamp onto the handlebars and leave the ends alone.

MM: Handlebar muffs! Just what I need at half the price (of guards). Looks like twisted throttle carries Oxford, with heat pad holders already built in.

I would bet those would work pretty good. Worth a shot.

post #14 of 31 Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Seen em on police cruisers around here. They're not as long as the hippo ones, which is a good thing.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #15 of 31 Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Optio

PM sent. I'm finding it harder and harder to get motivated to ride in the cold. Becoming a warm-weather guy in my old age.

post #16 of 31 Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

PM back

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #17 of 31 Old 11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Barkbuster Storm S-1...installed today, work great. No wind on hands makes gloves work better.

post #18 of 31 Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Well.....got the Oxford muffs in and tried putting them on. No go: the mirror mounts get in the way. Which is funny because I bought new mirrors to switch out of the bar-ends so I can use the muffs. The only way the setup would work would be to make a minor cut into each muff to make space for the mirrors. Which isn't a big deal, but I have Jay313s Barkbuster Storms coming in the mail. So I'll just go that route. The handlebar muffs were huge too, a sight for sore eyes.

(Was going to do a comparison between the two as far as taking the cold off the hands) I can tell that the oxfords would do a better job, considering they would have excellent coverage and the material they used were HEAVY DUTY. Plus they also had a built-in pocket in the inside for hand warmers. Gonna return them tomorrow to Twisted Throttle, but if you don't mind having huge oven mit looking things and doing a little mod, this thing won't disappoint.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #19 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 AM
The Cripple

wow you lucky SOB andrew.... i've been begging for a set of barkbusters for 2 years now....

anyone got a set they want to get rid of?

post #20 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Steve

Two Words... heated gloves!

My hippo hands have been collecting dust since I switched to electric gear. Wish I'd made the switch a long time ago.

post #21 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Two Words... heated gloves!

My hippo hands have been collecting dust since I switched to electric gear. Wish I'd made the switch a long time ago.
Are there good ones that still allows you to have dexterity at a reasonable price? I had some battery powered ones years back but working the hand controls was a pain.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #22 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
wow you lucky SOB andrew.... i've been begging for a set of barkbusters for 2 years now....

anyone got a set they want to get rid of?
I sure lucked out! I almost didn't take them because I ordered the Oxfords the same day. Glad I did.... I'm sure someone has them on a shelf

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #23 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Optio

Someone like me, who's getting too old and lazy to ride in the cold anymore. Lol

post #24 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 05:17 PM
The Cripple

guess i'll make it official then. anyone else got a set of barkduster storms laying around? i could use a set of hand guards!

post #25 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

I'll bet Twisted Throttle does...

post #26 of 31 Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
I'll bet Twisted Throttle does...
yeah, FOR FULL PRICE!

post #27 of 31 Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Steve

Quote:
Are there good ones that still allows you to have dexterity at a reasonable price? I had some battery powered ones years back but working the hand controls was a pain.
I paid $160 on ebay for brand new tourmaster synergy gloves. They come with everything you need unlike some others that make you buy the controller separate. The nice thing about electric gloves is they are not thick and bulky. They feel like regular gauntlet gloves.They have no effect on your dexterity and keep your fingers nice n warm whatever the temp.You just run the wires down the sleeves of your jacket, plug in the gloves to the pigtail from the battery and you're good to go. I've tried everything else but nothing compares to heated gloves. You don't even think about your hands anymore, even in 20 degree weather.

post #28 of 31 Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Left of Centre

I'm currently using a set of Zeta Impacts to cut the air flow to my hands. They aren't as robust as some pictured here (only one mounting point on the bar) but then they are pretty cheap- I got NOS for $35.

I have also used some unheated handmuffs in cold weather- I had a long ride home (400mi) in winter when I first got my bike and didn't know how cold it was going to get, so took along some muffs, again $35 worth I think.

They were quite effective, but at speed tended to collapse back against your hands - maybe other types have more rigidity, but these ones felt like they needed some kind of strut inside them to hold them away from your hands and levers.

I still keep them in one of my bags in case I get caught in a deluge....mounting used to be tricky around the mirrors, but I have gone for the piercing to mount the mirror through.

post #29 of 31 Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Mayday: I might wait til summer time to get a set of the new Columbia gloves that just came out. They're battery powered, but they're very pricey right now. I think with the guards and my current gloves, I'll be good for another hour or two. (Which is all I need)

K1W1: I did read on some of the reviews of people having issues with muffs caving at high speeds (75+) and actually pushing the brake lever enough to make the motorcycle feel sluggish!! You could always use a handguard rail to keep it off the levers I guess.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #30 of 31 Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Optio

By the way, I just remembered that my stock levers wouldn't work with the Storm hand guards. I bought some ASV shorty levers. Just keep that in mind whenever you're looking at hand guards.

post #31 of 31 Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Good point Jay, and if the price of ASV/Pazzo/CRG levers put you off, there's always the Chinese knock-off option. Not as nice, but just as functional

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode