WTB: 2002 CB919 motor. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Ian

WTB: 2002 CB919 motor.

My 02 CB919 has developed a bottom end knock. I am looking for a used motor to replace mine. Just seeing if anyone has a spare motor kicking around, or knows of a place or yard to find one. I have searched locally with no luck.

I live in eastern canada, but have family in Maryland/Delaware area to help with the shipping.

Cheers,
Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
The Cripple

hey ian. i have a salvaged 919 i can sell to you for $1000 (what i paid insurance company for). engine has 26k miles on it and still ran good. had an issue with the tranny and had dealership repair it (receipts for repairs). hit a truck when he pulled a u-turn (broadsided him) and went down. very minor dent in gas tank, rear cowling is broken (have replacement), and givi crash bars (took most of the beating. other than that, all stock. if you're interested, let me know.

theres also a few engines on ebay if you want just the engine : ) good luck.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Ian

pm sent.

Still looking, so keep the offers coming.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
My 02 CB919 has developed a bottom end knock. I am looking for a used motor to replace mine. Just seeing if anyone has a spare motor kicking around, or knows of a place or yard to find one. I have searched locally with no luck.

I live in eastern canada, but have family in Maryland/Delaware area to help with the shipping.

Cheers,
Ian
Look for touring919
Send him a PM.
Ask him if he still has his engine in the garage.
You'd need his internals fitted into your cases.
You'd need new crank main bearings to match his crank to your case UNLESS by some lucky break you have the same case bearing bore codes as his engine.
My guess is that you could be the engine assembled from the block deck down, as the head had been removed for inspection.
He did some nice posts re check clearances he did at the cam/followers. I believe the engine was well cared for and in excellent internal condition.
touring 919 is one of a few that learned the bitter lesson of mounting a frame slider to the 919 engine bolt where Satos said to put them.
I've bought other parts from him off the 919, he's straight and very good to deal with.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Ian

I sent him a PM, thanks for the tip.

I started stripping the bike down tonight. Hoping to pull the motor, and split the cases to see whats going on.....pics of the damage will follow.

Ian

post #6 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I sent him a PM, thanks for the tip.

I started stripping the bike down tonight. Hoping to pull the motor, and split the cases to see whats going on.....pics of the damage will follow.

Ian
I'm more than curious as to what you find inside.
The classic problem for hammer like knocking is a bad rod big end.
That should be a highly unusual failure unless the engine has been abused, oil included.
How much history on the bike do you have ?
When did the sound start ?
What exactly is it that you hear ?
Has it got worse with time ?

Anyway, looking forward to the pics.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Ian

It is a salvage bike i picked up as a winter project. It has very little cosmetic damage, but had a hole punched in the oil pan. I expected there to be problems with the engine, but the deal was to good to pass up. Bike only has 4000km and I know the original owner, he dropped it a slow speeds (crusher dust on a corner) it slid into a curb/ditch. Bike was dressed in bags for touring so the tip over switch did not go off and she ran dry of oil.

Since i got it i put a pan on it, and fired it up. I am pretty sure its the #3 big end, it sounds like typical rod knock (small dwarf with hammer trapped inside the case).

I will update with pics of what i find.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 05:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
It is a salvage bike i picked up as a winter project. It has very little cosmetic damage, but had a hole punched in the oil pan. I expected there to be problems with the engine, but the deal was to good to pass up. Bike only has 4000km and I know the original owner, he dropped it a slow speeds (crusher dust on a corner) it slid into a curb/ditch. Bike was dressed in bags for touring so the tip over switch did not go off and she ran dry of oil.

Since i got it i put a pan on it, and fired it up. I am pretty sure its the #3 big end, it sounds like typical rod knock (small gremlin with hammer trapped inside the case).

I fixed that statement for you.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 AM
McTavish

Quote:

Since i got it i put a pan on it, and fired it up. I am pretty sure its the #3 big end, it sounds like typical rod knock (small dwarf with hammer trapped inside the case).

Good luck with it all, and hopefully it's not too bad inside. On the basis of what you've said above, I'd expect all the plain bearing inserts to be suspect, even if only one has wadded up. The ball bearings in the transmission should not be an issue.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
I fixed that statement for you.
I will edit it if i can figure out how.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Still looking for a good used engine? If anyone knows where to find one let me know.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Why not?

have you cracked the case open yet? if so what did you find?
Ebay might have what you are looking for. there were some on there not to long ago that i looked at.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

did you find an engine yet?
there is a guy here in Newbrunswick with a wrecked 919, 2006. I am trying to buy it from him. If it goes through, i will sell you the engine. i am not sure of the status yet as the owner was not home but I did talk to his roommate today. this is all pending of course.
PM me if you want.

Arte et Marte
post #14 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 02:34 PM
McTavish

Quote:

Cheers,
Ian
You are still battling that issue ?

Another angle of attack, might be to look for an engine OK internally but with a busted off engine mounting tab, a few do exist. Touring919 had one for a while.
Shove those guts into your lower case set, but you'll likely have to put new casing bearing inserts into the case set to match the other crank to your case bore particulars. True, it makes the engine you buy more of a crap shoot, but you might be able to find one real cheap because of a busted engine mounting tab. You really do have my sympathy over the unending struggle you have had with your engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode