Thinking about selling my baby.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 37 Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about selling my baby....

I am thinking about selling my ride. I really don't want to but I feel that I have run out of options. I purchased this bike about 4 months ago from a guy in Pembroke Pines, Fl. He told me there was no problem with the title on the bike but he left it in New Orleans. I said no prob I will request a title from the state once I send them a Bill of Sale. Well come to find out there is a lein on the bike and now I am stuck with a bike I can't title. It has made me lose my trust in people all together. His father even said it was no prob. (That is what led me to believe we were good.) Now here lies the problem. I have to either sale the bike with a bill of sale saying it is for parts or a race bike. It is a 2006 Ninja zx6r. I wasn't looking for a race bike I wanted a daily driver. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions I will like to recieve them. If I do sale it I will be asking $3500.00. That will help me break even.
Thanks
Danny
(ninjasridehard)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

That's a tough lesson learnt, Danny.
You could always buy a frame w/title and do the old swap-a-roo.
Or disassemble that bi*ch, ebay everything, and make a few bucks.

post #3 of 37 Old 06-27-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
That's a tough lesson learnt, Danny.
You could always buy a frame w/title and do the old swap-a-roo.
Or disassemble that bi*ch, ebay everything, and make a few bucks.
Would like to but can't find a frame at a decent price.

post #4 of 37 Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM
919>food>beer

I'm not sure how much it'd cost but you can get a bond on the title

post #5 of 37 Old 06-27-2009, 09:06 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Always start with the simplest solution first.

Throw it on the market as-is and tell the truth. Be prepared to just break even or take a few dollars loss and hope for the best. It's not a guaranteed win but you'd be silly not to give it a try.

post #6 of 37 Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Send Barton after the previous owner.

Spoiler:
post #7 of 37 Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Legalize it please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #8 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 01:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:

put it on craigslist its free. just tell the truth or look for a frame.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #9 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i like the Barton idea, hes a gosh danged pitbull

post #10 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
What's he going to do? Be the "fluffer boy" for the previous owner?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #11 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Have you been to the DMV and talked to them yet? In CO the have a "Dealer Investigators' office that handles stuff like this. When traded my 919 in on my 954, at a local small dealer, I hadnt received my title after a few weeks, couldnt get an answer, finally went over there to find out he had closed shop, and skipped town with the money for all his recent sales. The DMV gave me the # for the Dealer investigator, contacted him, went through the process, in the end it took just over a year, was a pain in the azz, but I got my title no $$ out of pocket. I dont know if they handle private sales the same, but it seems you should check it out if you can.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #12 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Woah! Sure sounds like the prior owner sold it without negotiating in good faith with his lender! I'd loose faith too and would have attempted to return it!

post #13 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Woah! Sure sounds like the prior owner sold it without negotiating in good faith with his lender! I'd loose faith too and would have attempted to return it!
I tried to contact him once I found out about the lien. It was about a month before I figured it out. When I purchased the bike it wasn't running. I got it running and I took it to the title agency.Then found out about it. It is a damn shame because the bike runs so good.

post #14 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjasridehard View Post
I tried to contact him once I found out about the lien. It was about a month before I figured it out. When I purchased the bike it wasn't running. I got it running and I took it to the title agency.Then found out about it. It is a damn shame because the bike runs so good.
You should take him to small claims. Since he essentially sold you a stolen bike! What a crook!

post #15 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 07:10 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I wonder if you can apply for a Mechanic's Lien? I used to do that with abandoned cars at the dealership, don't know how it works in your state but worth checking into. Best of luck man, I hate to hear of people getting ripped off by unscrupulous sellers, reflects badly on the rest of us honest folk.

post #16 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I wonder if you can apply for a Mechanic's Lien? I used to do that with abandoned cars at the dealership, don't know how it works in your state but worth checking into. Best of luck man, I hate to hear of people getting ripped off by unscrupulous sellers, reflects badly on the rest of us honest folk.
I don`t think it would matter if he could since he is already at the end of the lien line. He would just get a leftover percentage of the actual cash value of the bike. If there is a leftover.
+1 on small claims court, and maybe contact the police to see what they say.

post #17 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Or, you could sell it to me for $1000. I'll make it a track bike. That is a perfect bike for Loudon and Poconos.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #18 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Nah I`ll buy it for 500.

post #19 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 07:35 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I don`t think it would matter if he could since he is already at the end of the lien line. He would just get a leftover percentage of the actual cash value of the bike. If there is a leftover.
+1 on small claims court, and maybe contact the police to see what they say.
Well a mechanic's lien is a way to get the title. Sheriff inspects the vehicle, you apply for the lien, have to pretend to have an auction and place an ad somewhere notifying the public, then after a certain amount of time it's yours for fees owed. At least that's how it works here.

It sounds like the other only other option at this point is legal action against the seller. Filing in small claims court isn't expensive, but if you want to have an attorney go after him you'll rack up some bills. Worth making a couple of calls to ask advice though, I'm sure you have some legal recourse.

post #20 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Well a mechanic's lien is a way to get the title. Sheriff inspects the vehicle, you apply for the lien, have to pretend to have an auction and place an ad somewhere notifying the public, then after a certain amount of time it's yours for fees owed. At least that's how it works here.
Doesn`t matter if someone is ahead of him date wise with another lien.

post #21 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Doesn`t matter if someone is ahead of him date wise with another lien.
Well that's true, I guess I don't understand if there's a bank somewhere that actually has a lien on this bike? Like you gave the guy money but he never paid off the loan and got the title? If that's the case your only choice is legal action, the bike probably legally belongs to the bank.

post #22 of 37 Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well that's true, I guess I don't understand if there's a bank somewhere that actually has a lien on this bike? Like you gave the guy money but he never paid off the loan and got the title? If that's the case your only choice is legal action, the bike probably legally belongs to the bank.
...sold a bike that wasn't his, but the lender's. What confuses me is the lien name is always printed FIRST on title. So money was transferred without seeing title?! I remember going to DMV after my last payment (only financed vehicle 15yr ago!) and was relieved to remove the bank name. This issue weakens the case. It's destined to become a track bike!

post #23 of 37 Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

or the banks

post #24 of 37 Old 06-29-2009, 07:15 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Any time I've purchased a vehicle, I do the transfer and the money exchange at the same time at the court house. The court house always asks if there is a lien, then looks at the title to double check. If you say no lien, but the title shows it, they call the bank to verify that the debt is taken care of. After that, they ask if you are going to have a new lien on the vehicle and then order you a new title with or without a lien (depending on if you borrowed to buy).

How can you buy something with a lien on it? So does that mean that if the bank wants to come get it, they can take it from you or do they go after the original debtor?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #25 of 37 Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Just a thought...

Had an additional thought. Could you call the bank and try to settle the lien? Tell them what happened, ask what is owed, then ask them to settle with you so you can pay it off at a greatly reduced price?

If you had to pay another $1000 to get the title, you could probably get your money back by selling a street legal, clear title bike.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #26 of 37 Old 06-30-2009, 02:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Why not just pay the lein and get everything squared away?

Then sue the guy who sold you the bike.

post #27 of 37 Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Just a thought...

Had an additional thought. Could you call the bank and try to settle the lien? Tell them what happened, ask what is owed, then ask them to settle with you so you can pay it off at a greatly reduced price?

If you had to pay another $1000 to get the title, you could probably get your money back by selling a street legal, clear title bike.
Already tried that road. Due to me not being the original person with the lein, I can't get anyone to tell me who has the lein or how much it is. I am working with guys to try to get a mechanics lein placed on the bike. The problem with this is that for a while whoever does the mechanic lein on the bike I better trust because will own my bike and it will be in their shop with the keys. But the two guys that are helping I have known for years. So lets see what happens. (P.S. The bike is titled in Bartons neck of the woods.)

post #28 of 37 Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Already tried that road. Due to me not being the original person with the lein, I can't get anyone to tell me who has the lein or how much it is. I am working with guys to try to get a mechanics lein placed on the bike. The problem with this is that for a while whoever does the mechanic lein on the bike I better trust because will own my bike and it will be in their shop with the keys. But the two guys that are helping I have known for years. So lets see what happens. (P.S. The bike is titled in Bartons neck of the woods.)

Thats stragne , seems to me like that if the person has a lien, they would want to be pid for wit hwne its alltemped to be registered - How can you pay it if you dont know who has it ?
I'm going through a smilar thing, I bought a nice ZX7-R ( my much beloved 1992 model ) with a clear title, so, I go to the local DMV office and they tell me they give my a plate or title because the lien holder hasnt signed off on it. So , to get it taken care of I have to send the lien holder 3 certifed letters , asking for them to sign off of the tile via affadadid - Onlt problem, the lein holder is no longer in busniess in the US and thier office has been closed for 10 years. So, IM just waiting on getting the returned letters back so I can take them to the DMV to get my title - Stupid crap this is !

post #29 of 37 Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Thats stragne , seems to me like that if the person has a lien, they would want to be pid for wit hwne its alltemped to be registered - How can you pay it if you dont know who has it ?
I'm going through a smilar thing, I bought a nice ZX7-R ( my much beloved 1992 model ) with a clear title, so, I go to the local DMV office and they tell me they give my a plate or title because the lien holder hasnt signed off on it. So , to get it taken care of I have to send the lien holder 3 certifed letters , asking for them to sign off of the tile via affadadid - Onlt problem, the lein holder is no longer in busniess in the US and thier office has been closed for 10 years. So, IM just waiting on getting the returned letters back so I can take them to the DMV to get my title - Stupid crap this is !
That sounds like a great idea if I could find the bank with the lein. There has to be a way to find out. How do mechanics find out when they post their lein on a vehicle?

post #30 of 37 Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Know what...it.I am just going to get a frame and make it mine for real. They run for about 1300.00 to 1500.00 with a clean title and a bill of sale.

post #31 of 37 Old 07-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Know what...it.I am just going to get a frame and make it mine for real. They run for about 1300.00 to 1500.00 with a clean title and a bill of sale.
bout time you came to your senses.... i will help you put them together...

cost... some of your mom in laws cooking i hear you brag on and that i smell when you are heating up your lunch...

i don't see how you don't weigh 300 pounds... that womans cooking smells awesome...

post #32 of 37 Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Well I want to thank everybody for there help. I just the bike today. Could not turn down the offer. So I am on the hunt for a new toy. Just as I decided to swap frames some guy offered me a good price. So now I am looking for a bike with a clean title. I just can't do this sh*t twice.

post #33 of 37 Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Congrats man. Glad you get to make a clean start. Good luck finding a new ride.

post #34 of 37 Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Congrats man. Glad you get to make a clean start. Good luck finding a new ride.
I am on the hunt!!! So if anybody has a sport bike for sale let me know....

post #35 of 37 Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Sweeeeet. Bike shopping rocks. Have fun!

post #36 of 37 Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

At least you were able to sell it and come out either even or ahead. I got ripped off for $2,800 when I was sold a stolen bike in ATL. It was stolen from Jacksonville, FL.....I've yet to see a penny of my money back and the dude I'm sure is walking free........it sucks to know they towed away the bike you paid your hard earned cash at $10 an hour for because some douche bag is rippin off bikes and selling them with "bill of sale." Never again.

2003 Honda RC51
post #37 of 37 Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Good luck with your next bike!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode