**SOLD** 2004 919 Slightly Banged Up - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

**SOLD** 2004 919 Slightly Banged Up

I have a 2004 919 that is bone stock, backed into by a lady and banged up a bit. Mechanically it is completely sound runs great and nothing major is bent.

All the damage is on the left of the bike. The fuel tank, rear fairing are where the most damage occurred. Other than those there are also minor scrapes on the exhaust protectors, grab bar, mirror, fender, head light chrome ring, and the handlebar weight broke off.

Because of the cost of the parts the lady's insurance company totaled it out. I'm looking to get rid of it for other financial obligations now, and in it's current condition I think someone would find it a very good deal.

I have a soft offer of $2000 and a firm offer of $1400, but I'd really like to make $2500 on it to pay the loan off.

I've only been an official member for a short time, but I've already had an a great experience here, so if someone is going to get a deal on this bike I'd like give you guys a shot at it.

It's really kind of depressing, I didn't think I'd have such a hard time putting the bike up for sell, but it's really sunk in now that I've had someone come look at it. Hopefully someone can bring her back to her original glory.

Of course I'm open to offers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21873539.jpg (34.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 21873560.jpg (23.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 21873585.jpg (41.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 21873602.jpg (13.6 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 21873607.jpg (30.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 21873615.jpg (23.7 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 21873624.jpg (42.0 KB, 77 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Oh forgot about the new stuff:

It has a brand new set of Michelin Power 2CT tires, still showing the mold flashing as well as a new RK Racing O-Ring chain installed at the end of last season.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
CG

How many miles on that puppy? Do you have a clear title for it in your name (no lien)?

If so, I think you could easily get $2500 on craigs list. If you were closer, I might buy it.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

She has 12000 miles of 98% freeway riding, I've been using her as a 60-mile a day commuter for the last few years. The engine is smooth as the day I bought it, in fact Motocycho rode it the day I put the new tires on and he commented how it pulled like new.

Yes, I have an unencumbered title, though since the bike was technically totaled by the insurance company it is branded as salvaged.

Thanks for the input on price, it seemed like a fair price but I'm glad to have the second opinion.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

$800, and I'll come pick it up.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Imaginifer

You might mention in your original post that the bike has been totaled. Among other things, most insurance companies won't fully insure the bike now.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
I think you could easily get $2500 on craigs list.

Not with a salvaged title...

post #8 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

He mentioned the insurance totaled it in his origional post, but I agree with a salvage title, it is going to be a hard sell at that price.

You might consider parting it out?

I assume (which is the first act of failure) That you bought the bike back from the insurance company?

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #9 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastrex View Post
Not with a salvaged title...
Like I said, "with a clean title". Salvaged != clean. That "soft" offer of $2K might be a good deal.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Insurance companies will still cover a salvaged vehicle, but they will only cover it for the value of a salvaged vehicle (which is what someone would be paying for it).

I'm not sure what the big deal is with a salvaged title. With a car, where the parts-cost to value ratio is relatively low, a salvaged title usually means a bent frame or worse. On a motorcycle, where to replace the tank alone can be as much as 1/3rd the value of the bike at retail prices (which it is in my case), it doesn't mean a whole lot.

There was absolutely no significant damage to the bike, just a large amount of superficial scratching. When the dealership estimated the repairs they had listed every part that was not perfect and then every nut and bolt that attached those parts. So, to be honest, I probably could have worked with the insurance company to not have had the bike totaled but it worked out better for me financially this way.

I dropped the asking price to $2000 a few days ago and I've gotten about 3 people lined up to come check it out this week. If it doesn't sell for $2K then I'll ride the wheels off of it myself, it's worth more than that to me.

Thanks for the input guys,

Josh

post #11 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
CG

In some states, you cannot tag a vehicle with a salvage title. Hence the hit on the value. Otherwise, salvage title has little meaning.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Interesting Utah DMV – Salvage Vehicles/Branded Titles

Utah law allows for removing of the branding under certain circumstances (pre and post repair inspection, repair time limitations). Perhaps I should have done that, I think it would have easily qualified. But the $1500 to bring it back to mint probably wouldn't bring $3500 that I'd need it to anyway.

Also the salvage brand can be converted to "rebuilt/restored" with an after-repair inspection.

Either way it doesn't matter, it was bought with cash by the first guy that came to look at it.

I really appreciate input that you guys have offered. Hopefully I'll be back as a bike-owning member in the not too distant future.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Gets censored

Glad you sold it, It always amazes me how little damage it takes to booger up a title.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
In some states, you cannot tag a vehicle with a salvage title. Hence the hit on the value. Otherwise, salvage title has little meaning.

Guys like you and me know that but try telling that to a potential buyer that has little or no knowledge of bikes and can't even work on his own...and there's alot of those guys out there. You can see their eyes glaze over when you tell em the title is anything other than clean and clear. I've been selling vehicles for over 30 years and I can tell you it happens EVERY time....that's why you gotta sell salvage or rebuilt vehicles so cheap. The best bike I ever had was a Kawasaki ZRX that was supposedly a flood bike and it had every imagineable extra on it...I paid $1400 for it because of the title. That bike ran better than any other bike I ever owned and looked like new. I didn't care if they dug it out of the English Channel...I got a smokin deal on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode