PS3 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

PS3

Gents... Friday I am buying a PS3...

But what should I get... is there not 3 models of this thing? 40/60/80 gig?

Any other options I dont know about yet?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM
pew pew pew

yes, and each come with different options other than the HD size. some come with wireless controllers, some dont. some come with HDMI outputs some dont. there are other things also. im not sure which comes with which but i would do some serious homework before dishing out all that hard earned cash.

post #3 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Hmmmmm excellent...

Any more info?

I'll be wanting the wireless controllers unless I hear they are junk?

And definately HDMI....

I LOVE Tig Bitties!

post #4 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

midwest, WAIT for the NEW 60G version with the lower power chip shrink that also supports SACD HIFI sound and backwards compatible with PS2 games. It's dumb they differentiated their market! When uSFT writes games for PS3 I'll get one.

post #5 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Talk to me... Im all EARS

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

May we ask why you decided to go with the PS3 and not the 360? and please don't tell that you based your purchase on the blue-ray hype... they are giving away the blueray dvd's now a days.

If for Online play, plenty of people crying about the PS3 nightmare with certain games but, what the hell do I know if I still play like normal people do... with the PC

--------------- 0 ------------------- 0 -----------

http://www.motolube.net/images/WT-MLI%20Banner%20468x60.gif

You know Spies... buncha Biitchy little girls!
post #6 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
May we ask why you decided to go with the PS3 and not the 360? and please don't tell that you based your purchase on the blue-ray hype... they are giving away the blueray dvd's now a days.

If for Online play, plenty of people crying about the PS3 nightmare with certain games but, what the hell do I know if I still play like normal people do... with the PC
Well I like the Sony... and it IS the best BluRay player on the market!

DVD's may be given away... but the players arent.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #7 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
midwest, WAIT for the NEW 60G version with the lower power chip shrink that also supports SACD HIFI sound and backwards compatible with PS2 games. It's dumb they differentiated their market! When uSFT writes games for PS3 I'll get one.
When is this due out?

I have 2 boys with all A's on the report cards... they may not want to be so patient!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #8 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
When is this due out?

I have 2 boys with all A's on the report cards... they may not want to be so patient!
unsure....watch the rumor mill...

Congrats! How about some bikes instead?

post #9 of 36 Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
Well I like the Sony... and it IS the best BluRay player on the market!
Only if you buy an expensive digital amp would you notice the difference. 360 will integrate BR this Fall. How about getting a 360pro (already lower power!) at BestBuy with their upgrade warranty, then (eventually) you get it all!

post #10 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Get the 60 or 80. The 40 is stripped down. I believe the 40 now comes with an HDMI port but is not backwards compatible with PS2 games and has a wired controller. The 60 and 80 have that stuff.

As far as actual gaming the 360 wins hands down... nice to have the Blu-Ray right now, though.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #11 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Most of the stuff you are hearing is correct. They offer both a 40 and 80 gig as of now. The 40 is a stripped down version of the 80 which does offer backwards capability to play ps2 games. They all come with one wireless controller. The 80 also offers more memory ports. 4 usb ports vs 2 + 3 different style memory card ports, ie SD etc. Do not beleive the hype that the 360 is better for online play. They need to pay for online play and require a wired connection. The PS3 is free to play and has wireless connectivity plus supports Bluetooth. One thing to watch for is the release of the Dualshock 3 controllers.

post #12 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

dont have one but have seen a video that shows them playing a ps2 game on a ps3 and the quality sucked when compared to playing it on the ps2, I have heard the same when talking to the game stop guys as well, unsure of models though. Just something to consider thinking about if your looking to replace or trade the ps2 in, i was considering trading my ps2 in for it but not worth it.

good luck

post #13 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Does this mean that your bike purchase is being pushed back again?
post #14 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

There is some emulator software that has to be installed on the ps3 as well so this maybe why some people have this problem i don't know just spreading bad/good info in hopes some of the real gamers here can correct these findings, cause i want one too.

[youtube]IoCD9TwLrVs[/youtube]

post #15 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

midwest, how old are the boys? 7 and 9?

My got the girls XBox a few years back, but there weren't enough games they liked. About a year and a half ago, I got them Wii. They love it! The interactiveness is great for the 5 year old as well as the 11 year old and all there friends. Surprisingly, the younger ones can and have beaten the older girls in many of the games. I picked them up the Nerf sport pack yesterday. It has a golf club, tennis racket, and bat to swing instead of just the controller. Pretty neat!

Just a thought ... now back to your regularly scheduled program. I'm pretty much clueless on PS3's.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #16 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
There is some emulator software that has to be installed on the ps3 as well so this maybe why some people have this problem i don't know just spreading bad/good info in hopes some of the real gamers here can correct these findings, cause i want one too.
AJ, That's a great comparison exposing the player's weakness!
I'm staying with 360 for many reasons.

post #17 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Optio

The only one's offered now are the 40 and 80 gig models, 60 is no longer available.

40 gig model has a little newer CPU 45nm I believe? Will run a little cooler as it doesn't require as much power. It has wireless wi-fi and has two usb ports in the front, rather than 4. 80 has a card reader, but is that really important?

I intially was going to go with the 80, but opted for the 40 to save a few bucks and I got it on Black Friday with an extra game and movie for the same price. Graphics are great, but I'm still waiting for MGS4 and the new Gran Turismo.

Works great as a Blu-ray player though. Keep it in a well ventalated area, or what I did was rig up a 120mm fan and plugged it into the USB port to keep the air flowing behind it.

post #18 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
The only one's offered now are the 40 and 80 gig models, 60 is no longer available.

40 gig model has a little newer CPU 45nm I believe? Will run a little cooler as it doesn't require as much power. It has wireless wi-fi and has two usb ports in the front, rather than 4. 80 has a card reader, but is that really important?

I intially was going to go with the 80, but opted for the 40 to save a few bucks and I got it on Black Friday with an extra game and movie for the same price. Graphics are great, but I'm still waiting for MGS4 and the new Gran Turismo.

Works great as a Blu-ray player though. Keep it in a well ventalated area, or what I did was rig up a 120mm fan and plugged it into the USB port to keep the air flowing behind it.
Interesting... these bad boys run THAT hot?

And the current offerings are for SURE only the 40 and 80 gig units? Who above was stating a new 60 gig unit was on the way? Not true??

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #19 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
midwest, how old are the boys? 7 and 9?

My got the girls XBox a few years back, but there weren't enough games they liked. About a year and a half ago, I got them Wii. They love it! The interactiveness is great for the 5 year old as well as the 11 year old and all there friends. Surprisingly, the younger ones can and have beaten the older girls in many of the games. I picked them up the Nerf sport pack yesterday. It has a golf club, tennis racket, and bat to swing instead of just the controller. Pretty neat!

Just a thought ... now back to your regularly scheduled program. I'm pretty much clueless on PS3's.
Dave yepp... 7 and soon to be 9 in July. I hear what your saying... the Wii would be a great choice... BUT I am worried abotu 2 things. Them out growing it and them launching the hand held things around the house while playing.

They both are asking for a certain game first as well - maybe I need to have a dicussion with them tonight and see if the Wii has this Star Wars game...

I havent bought one of these things in SO long I feel out of the loop! I just want my Intellivision back!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #20 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

You have to set the ps3 to up sample the ps2 games they look the same as playing on a ps2 then.The wireless function is nice and easy to connect to you home network. The wireless controllers work well and are not crappy at all.The ps3 does run hot and that is something you need to be aware of when placing it. There are some stories out about then burning when left in stand by I don't know if that's true or not I've left mine that way for months at a time and no problems. GT high Def is going to be the bomb. the free demo is nice I can't wait to see it when it comes out.

post #21 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Optio

I'm not sure about the new 60 gig model or not? Haven't really looked into it since I bought mine.

They were intially released with 20 and 60 gig models and if you can find a NIB 60 (good luck) it'd probably be the way to go at this time. 40's will not play PS2 games though if that's a consideration.

And yes, they do get warm/hot, not as hot as X360's which have a tendency to burn themselves up. But you can't go sticking them into some tiny little space like the old game systems. My extra little fan just pushes the hot air away that's ventilated out of the back of the system and just that extra little touch keeps the whole thing barely warm.

I'm not a big fan of the wireless controllers, but they do work well. Batteries seem to last forever. I just think they're to light and playing Madden you'll occassionally jump the gun if you move your hands, as it's also a motion scensing controller to a limited extent.

Wii's are fun, but are more group orientated. I'm in my early 30's and had a blast with some friends a few weeks ago playing Wii sports. Tried playing
COD3 and hated the controls for action games.

post #22 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Good stuff.... keep it coming fellas...

Especially if you are in the know about the PS# models coming or available currently.

I dont think they will be willing to wait.... but I can ask and test thier patience. If we dont buy that on Friday it will be a basketball hoop for the driveway!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #23 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Go with the basketball hoop summer is coming get the PS3 in the fall.

post #24 of 36 Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

The NEW 80G has SACD/PS2 support with lower power chip.

post #25 of 36 Old 04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Optio

Did you end up getting one?

post #26 of 36 Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

No not yet... they have a new SKU coming out June 12th.... I have it on the Calendar... suppose to be the cats a$$....

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #27 of 36 Old 04-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Gran Tourismo 5 Prolouge, hits the shelves today!

post #28 of 36 Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Bam-Ba-Lam...!

Incorrect, it comes out tomorrow! I was fooled too. I had two very frustrating trips to the store. Tomorrow for sure. Preorders ship today, but you can not actually HAVE it today. I am totally psyched!

post #29 of 36 Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
I am totally psyched!
+1

post #30 of 36 Old 04-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I was duped! For sure today.

post #31 of 36 Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

fILL U SIN ONCE YOU GET TO PLAY IT!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #32 of 36 Old 04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Got my copy at lunch. I will give a review once I get some track time in.

post #33 of 36 Old 04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

I've had my 60gb since launch, and I love it. I'm no console fanboy, but the PS3 rocks. It was frusterating in the beginning because good games were slow to come out, but this year is off the hook for PS3 games. GT5, Metal Gear , etc. etc. I just picked up a PSP as well...that's one sweet little machine. The way it integrates with your PS3 is pretty awesome.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #34 of 36 Old 04-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Optio

I picked up a PS3 last year for basically the sole purpose of taking hunting with me.

I get comfortable and either start playing a game or watching a movie until I see the first movement and than put it away.

More time you sit on a stand = the greater chance you have of seeing that buck you've been waiting for.

www.pspiso.com is/was a great site. It goes down once in a while, but LOTS of free downloads. Games/movies/whatever on there.

I'll have to pick up GT5 today or tomorrow when I'm able

post #35 of 36 Old 04-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

prologue version a pre-version release of the real GT5 to come out later

wisco919

So is it great or what??

post #36 of 36 Old 04-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

It is pretty sweet, graphics and physics, run on a 1080p set it is very realistic. It is unfortunatley quite limited in the track and car departments. Only 6 tracks, which run forward and reverse, and some alter the courses, ie Daytona is an oval and a roadcourse. I would guess, 60 cars with no ability to tune. You can purchase tuned versions of many of the cars though.

My overall thaughts is that the game is awesome. I did not play get to play online but the career play was flawless and the physics are pretty spot on. I am hoping that with time there will be added downloadable content. If you are a true GT enthusiest it is worth while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode