I started off with a 2003 Honda 919 with around 12,--- miles on her and wanted to go with a front end swap to make it look more aggressive as well as give it a sort of cafe racer feel. Also with all the functionality that a modern motorcycle has to offer.
After disassembling the front end of my stock 919 I wanted to go with the 954 set up. I didn't really see a lot of differences with the Rc-51 and the 954 except a little bit of different measurements. But that didn't stop the build. I bought...
954 Brakes and front lines
954 Triple Tree
954 Front Fender
Woodcraft Clip-ons 50mm
Aztec 8 headlight mount with turn signals
All factory mounting hardware for the fender, brakes, rotors.
The 954 stem was to short and was missing around 3/4 of an inch so I went to a machine shop and they pressed out the previous stock 954 stem and made a new stem from aluminum. I decided to keep the stem solid to give it stability unlike the 919 and 954 which the 919 is steel and the 954 aluminum but both are hollow. I used all the stock stem parts and bearings out of the 954 triple tree. I used all the stock 919 throttle, clutch, I just had to do a lot of maneuvering to get everything to fit.
Problems: I ran into some problems when putting in the new stem. I am not done with the bike yet because I need to install a new bottom dust cover for the triple tree. When I was trying to get out the old 954 stem I ended up bending the stock 954 dust cover and tried to bend it back to get it to fit. When I got done with the build I noticed I was not able to turn left, only when I applied a lot of force was I able to turn left. I noticed a lot of rubbing at the lower part of the triple and noticed that the bent bottom dust cover was the root of the problem.
Lifting the bike was a little bit of an issue because I didn't have a roof to keep it under when I was doing all the work. I ended up buying ratchet straps and lifted it up off the ground off the back of my deck. I might have noticed the rubbing issue if I was able to lift if off the ground from under the frame instead of lifting it up right under the stem. Then I would have been able to check the movement of the handlebars
Getting all the cords for the throttle and clutch were a little hard to get all in place but with a little bit of tinkering it all came together.
The gauge cluster isn't attached yet and I am thinking of just zip tying it to the upper triple I just don't want it to look ghetto. It doesn't have mounts on the upper triple to secure it to so you have to be a little creative and try to work something out.
I wasn't able to use my steel braided brake lines from G and G because they were to long so I used the stock 954 lines so with the brakes and stock lines I think everything will work out nicely
I was going to buy handlebar risers but decided to go with clip-ons because the (in my mind look better). The body position is really aggressive and you are leaning a great deal. I like the look and feel but until I replace that bent dust cover on the lower triple will I get a really good feel for the bike. After I get the new dust cover on I will be sure to tell how the bike rides. Gooooood times