Old Headphones? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Old Headphones?

Anyone have any old headphones laying around they're willing to donate to my helmet project? I'm not having any luck creating what I want - still getting more road and wind noise than I can live with.

I'm looking for the old style that completely covers your ears. Something like this
thin profile but still covers the entire ear.

They don't have to be pretty because odds are I'll be cutting them up. If you check an old box you have in the attic and come across a pair you don't need I'll happily pay shipping. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

yup... they're going in the trash morrow.
pm me an address & they're yours.

post #3 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

sweet! pm sent. Thanks a whole bunch!

post #4 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I have a few laying around as well if you want them?

post #5 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'd think it would be more comfortable and WAY easier to work with if you just had something small like what I use: Link

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I would also like to pimp the e2c for this purpose. Pretty hard to beat its combination of comfort, sound, and price.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #7 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The e2c's are nice, but a bit impractical for Jet's application. He is talking about a hard seal to the helmet inner surface. You would have to insert/remove the e2c's everytime the helmet came off.

post #8 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
The e2c's are nice, but a bit impractical for Jet's application. He is talking about a hard seal to the helmet inner surface. You would have to insert/remove the e2c's everytime the helmet came off.
You'd have to stick your fingers in your helmet and push those big headphones out to get your fat head in there each time too. And if you didn't have to pull those big things apart to get in, then that also means that there won't be a tight seal around your head. Plus they make your head sweaty.

I got the Shure E2 headphones on sale and then stacked 2 coupons with it, got them for $62, down from $120 that's not bad... so it's definitely affordable for this project. My 3 cents.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #9 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I'd think it would be more comfortable and WAY easier to work with if you just had something small like what I use: Link
Appreciate the input, but with this helmet it just wont muffle enough background noise while still allowing me to hear the speaker. It's a delicate balance to kill the noise enough to be comfortable plus easily hear it. By insisting I use this particular helmet I know I'm complicating my life but it's a very comfortable helmet that makes commuting and long distance far more comfortable.

post #10 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Appreciate the input, but with this helmet it just wont muffle enough background noise while still allowing me to hear the speaker. It's a delicate balance to kill the noise enough to be comfortable plus easily hear it. By insisting I use this particular helmet I know I'm complicating my life but it's a very comfortable helmet that makes commuting and long distance far more comfortable.
Then you havent' used Shure headphones. They are the definition of perfect. Kills wind noise while giving you precision audio. On the highway, I hardly have to turn the mp3 player up to hear the song(and only the song[you can hear about 10% background noise]) Around town I can't hear my bike running but I can hear trucks and stuff around me. They are earplugs with perfect audio, plus you can't even feel them. Magical.

But OK.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #11 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Then you havent' used Shure headphones. They are the definition of perfect. Kills wind noise while giving you precision audio. On the highway, I hardly have to turn the mp3 player up to hear the song(and only the song[you can hear about 10% background noise]) Around town I can't hear my bike running but I can hear trucks and stuff around me. They are earplugs with perfect audio, plus you can't even feel them. Magical.

But OK.
Uh...everything he said +1

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #12 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

those are strong endorsements. For the money I'll try to make the other idea work first but entertain me for a second.

Those are for both ears right? Bud earphones never seem to fit me very well, always falling out but might be that the ones I've tried are junk. These actually kill the wind/road noise?
I'd have to cut the wires and solder everything back together but if I can't make it work any other way I'll definitely consider these.

post #13 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
those are strong endorsements. For the money I'll try to make the other idea work first but entertain me for a second.

Those are for both ears right? Bud earphones never seem to fit me very well, always falling out but might be that the ones I've tried are junk. These actually kill the wind/road noise?
I'd have to cut the wires and solder everything back together but if I can't make it work any other way I'll definitely consider these.
ha, yes, both ears. These are some of the best headphones money can buy. They wouldn't be $120 if they fell out and didn't actually block noise out as they claim. These come with 9 different sets of plugs, different sizes and compounds, so that it fits your ear perfectly.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #14 of 20 Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Not sure if you are still considering this but I ran across this deal just now, had to share it being that they have never been on sale for this little.

Link

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #15 of 20 Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

The big ones will stay in if you wrap the helmet in tinfoil.

post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
The big ones will stay in if you wrap the helmet in tinfoil.
I hear that keeps aliens and the government from picking up your brainwaves, too.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
I hear that keeps aliens and the government from picking up your brainwaves, too.
I think "skynet" can still jack your head though... Tough decesion.

post #18 of 20 Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM

I've tried a few different methods of mounting headphones in helmets, and nothing comes even close to the comfort, sound quality and price of the e2c's. For the amount of time you would spend rigging up something that sounds halfway decent, you may as well just bite the bullet and get the shure's.

post #19 of 20 Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

I use the Shure E4C Sound Isolating Earphones. Its a much better solution to the whole headphone gig. Its hooked up to a 60gig ipod. Works well.
My .02 cents...

post #20 of 20 Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
I use the Shure E4C Sound Isolating Earphones. Its a much better solution to the whole headphone gig. Its hooked up to a 60gig ipod. Works well.
My .02 cents...
I should ask.

I'm assuming you tried the Shure E2's before buying the E4's? I haven't even seen someone sell the E4's outside of the internet so I can't try them. Are they that much better?

-King of Old Thread Revival

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Plastics | 2002 919 »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode