mountain bikers - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

mountain bikers

i am in need of some parts... i need a rear cassette for my mountain bike.. the bike is a 21 speed the one i have on there is wore out on the smaller dia sprockets and i just put a new chain today and it "jumps"....

i also could use a new rear derailleur is someone has one they don't need anymore... the ones on there are shimano...

maybe one of you guys that build bikes could help a brother out......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I might have something in the "box of leftover stuff" in the garage, I'll root around out there and see if I can come up with something
You might also check the rear derailleur hanger, if they're even slightly out of true, the chain will jump or pop in the lower gears when you're really torquing the pedals

Dan
post #3 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
I might have something in the "box of leftover stuff" in the garage, I'll root around out there and see if I can come up with something
You might also check the rear derailleur hanger, if they're even slightly out of true, the chain will jump or pop in the lower gears when you're really torquing the pedals
the guy at the bike shop told me the same thing... if you have one of those layin around it would help... *(i bought this bike for $150 ~3 years ago) it is a "iron horse" aluminum framed 26" mb i have put ~200 more into it *(90$ today for chain front crank assembly and brake pads)... its a nice bike... disk brakes etc... but i don't wanna put any more big money into it... i just wanna patch it one more time then when it dies the next time i will buy a new one.... *(saving now for above said new one)...

i really need to get into good shape again... i am strong as a ox but i don't have the stamina like i did pre 40... i rode 5 miles today and thought i was gonna die....lol.... on flat ground/city streets....

post #4 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
i rode 5 miles today and thought i was gonna die....lol.... on flat ground/city streets....
If you do mostly city commutes you may want to spring for some non-knobby tires. Makes all the difference in the world on streets. If you don't ride them down to the threads, you can transfer them to the next bike.

post #5 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
If you do mostly city commutes you may want to spring for some non-knobby tires. Makes all the difference in the world on streets. If you don't ride them down to the threads, you can transfer them to the next bike.
thanks for the advice... i will see if i can find some cheapies....

the tires i have are kinda smooth in the middle with knobs on the outter...

mary bought them at walmart for me....

post #6 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Ride Like You Stole It

let's ride...
let me know when your bike is ready...

post #7 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by websch View Post
let's ride...
let me know when your bike is ready...
deal.... i'll pm you my # and our new address... *(not too far from the old one..)...

post #8 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

There is a decent motobecane on Ebay. Brand new old stock stuff. For 600 bones you would be rolling with 27spd with a mountain mix of components including an XTR der and a SID fork. Those two parts alone are worth the price of the bike.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #9 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 05:54 PM
CG

With a new chain you really want a new cassette and probably a new small front and maybe a new middle front. The chain and sprockets sort of wear together and you'll have some problems replacing any one piece without the others. I have lots of worn out sprockets but they won't help you with a new chain.

Trust me. I've been into mountain bikes for ~20 years. Have you checked Nashbar? They often have decent store brand stuff for older bikes for cheap prices.

post #10 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
There is a decent motobecane on Ebay. Brand new old stock stuff. For 600 bones you would be rolling with 27spd with a mountain mix of components including an XTR der and a SID fork. Those two parts alone are worth the price of the bike.
for 600bones...lol... i don't need the high end stuff ... honestly i won't be hitting trails like you and jet and ridge and the other serious guys...

mine will just be used to run around the neighborhood....

post #11 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i went and counted.. the rear sprocket has 8 rings.... soooo that makes it a 24 spd??

post #12 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 PM
CG

Quote:
i went and counted.. the rear sprocket has 8 rings.... soooo that makes it a 24 spd??
Correct!

post #13 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Sike

Quote:
two hands, oops, not enough, take off shoes and socks, still not enough, pull down pants (that didn't help), Mary, put up your hands (and this time it isn't anything kinky), where are my glasses, 21, 22, 23, 24.....

post #14 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
two hands, oops, not enough, take off shoes and socks, still not enough, pull down pants (that didn't help), Mary, put up your hands (and this time it isn't anything kinky), where are my glasses, 21, 22, 23, 24.....

yup... i had to stop at 21.......

i found a few things on ebay... but i am not sure what will fit.... i have a 8ring cassette on the rear now.... can i change it to more or less rings??

post #15 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i checked the bike and i had a shimano cs hg 30-81 rear cassette on it... so i looked on ebay and found one for 17 bucks shipped...SHIMANO ALTUS 8-SPEED HYPERGLIDE HG CASSETTE 30 CS-HG30 - eBay (item 290375816398 end time Dec-02-09 18:54:38 PST)

post #16 of 31 Old 12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Sike

Quote:
i checked the bike and i had a shimano cs hg 30-81 rear cassette on it... so i looked on ebay and found one for 17 bucks shipped...SHIMANO ALTUS 8-SPEED HYPERGLIDE HG CASSETTE 30 CS-HG30 - eBay (item 290375816398 end time Dec-02-09 18:54:38 PST)
Check out this website. They are a great place to deal with and the website has just about everything under the sun. Plus, they have new Shimano cassettes starting at $18. The altus isn't listed and I don't know where it falls in the quality.

Universal Cycles -- > Cassettes & Cogs > Shimano Cassettes

post #17 of 31 Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I use performancebikes and greenfishsports when I order online. I use JensonUSA every now and then. Nashbar is decent, but never seem to have what i want.

Spoiler:
post #18 of 31 Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
With a new chain you really want a new cassette and probably a new small front and maybe a new middle front. The chain and sprockets sort of wear together and you'll have some problems replacing any one piece without the others.
+1

I let the bike shop talk me into a new chain early this fall.
One ride with a new chain & old chainrings / rear cassette had the chain skippin' so bad on climbs that I picked up the whole bike & threw it at a tree in a fit of rage ...
Now, in addition to the new chain, I also have a new rear cassette, a newer rear derailleur (a take-off I bought from the shop mechanic for $10) AND a whole new rear wheel since the old one sustained an irrepairable bend to the rim.

Quote:
I use performancebikes and greenfishsports when I order online. I use JensonUSA every now and then. Nashbar is decent, but never seem to have what i want.
I use performancebikes, nashbar, jensonUSA, and mainly pricepoint

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

mtb

Go to nashbar or performance. The stuff you need is pretty common and cheap if you shop around. The other trick is the tool you need to actually change the cassette. Local bike shop may loan tool & let you do the work. If your derailer hanger is straight, leave it alone. I have the same Ironhorse frame you have (betting) as a back up bike. If the hanger is bent just use a big crescent wrench and tweak it back. It will move a little but too much will crack it. As far as the derailer goes if it's just dirty take it off ,scrub it good (soak it in simple green for an hour) then scrub it. Check all the derailer pivots. If you have no slop in pivots the part should still be good. As mentioned by the others it is a good idea to replace chain with new cassette.

post #20 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Oh yea. unless you are a racer you dont's need XTR, or even XT. Old LX works just fine if you keep it clean and adjusted. These are levels of Shimano components. Good luck.

post #21 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkrman View Post
Go to nashbar or performance. The stuff you need is pretty common and cheap if you shop around. The other trick is the tool you need to actually change the cassette. Local bike shop may loan tool & let you do the work. If your derailer hanger is straight, leave it alone. I have the same Ironhorse frame you have (betting) as a back up bike. If the hanger is bent just use a big crescent wrench and tweak it back. It will move a little but too much will crack it. As far as the derailer goes if it's just dirty take it off ,scrub it good (soak it in simple green for an hour) then scrub it. Check all the derailer pivots. If you have no slop in pivots the part should still be good. As mentioned by the others it is a good idea to replace chain with new cassette.
thanks... hopefully the new cassette will be in monday... i am on pretty good terms with the local bike shop.. i already have a new chain on there *(which is what started the popping).... i had to replace the front crank assembly because zack had gotten hit by a car on this bike *(low speed) and it bent the frt sprockets just enough to make life miserable....

anyway now i have new front crank assm new chain new disk brake caliper and cassettes on the way........

now all i need is a new front fork and i have a new bike... ...lol... btw fork is NOT bent it either needs rebuild or replace because its not made for someone my size/weight...

matt *(local bike store owner and all around good/trustworthy guy) said rear derailluer has a bit of slop in it but will still work fine unless i really want ultra precission shifts... *(remember it will be a city bike and most the time i will ride around the local cemetary *2.5 miles per revolution all paved*..

i really do appreciate all you guys quick answers... as usually wt's are the best...

post #22 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Not sure what type of "headset" is on your bike (threaded or not). Check this out. Nashbar Rigid Mountain Fork, Part #NS-CMF $59.00. This would work great for your type of use.

post #23 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I didn't know you had mountains in dem der parts.

post #24 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkrman View Post
Not sure what type of "headset" is on your bike (threaded or not). Check this out. Nashbar Rigid Mountain Fork, Part #NS-CMF $59.00. This would work great for your type of use.
if i take a photo of the headset area would that help??? cause i have found a couple on ebay but didnt know which one i could use... so i bought none...

post #25 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Yes, a picture will help.

It will more than likely be a 1 1/8" headset.... and most are "Threadless" but some intro models are still threaded.

The difference at a glance... can you put a wrench on it and tighten it? If the asnswer is threaded.

Spoiler:
post #26 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Yes, a picture will help.

It will more than likely be a 1 1/8" headset.... and most are "Threadless" but some intro models are still threaded.

The difference at a glance... can you put a wrench on it and tighten it? If the asnswer is threaded.
photos forthcoming... i am at work so zacks emailing photos...

post #27 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #28 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #29 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ok, that looks to be a threadless system or what has been referred to as "Aheadset". Right where those ring spacers are below your stem a threaded system would have a big nut. I believe the fork mentioned in previous post will work.

post #30 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

U are right. No mountains here...I always have to correct myself and try to call this "All terrain bicycling". I did however grow up in western PA. Have ridden the Black Hills, Winter Park, Buena Vista, West Virginia as well as numerous other places on Mountain Bike to include the cobbles of Belgium. All offer a distinct challenge, some with great beer after the ride.

post #31 of 31 Old 12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I stink at this computer stuff. Tha above post is in response to Myztical on "no Mountains". Apologies to everyone for the difficult reading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode