Going Going Gone! 1969(68?) Honda Dream 305 Project Bike - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Going Going Gone! 1969(68?) Honda Dream 305 Project Bike

Hey guys, so my mom has asked me to look into selling my Grandpa's 1969 (or maybe '68) Honda Dream. The bike has been in pieces a very long time, since my Grandpa wanted to rebuild it but never got around to it before he dies a few years ago. I took a very brief look at it and it's in ok shape for being in a bunch of boxes. Grandpa did make sure that everything was logged for the bike, so all the parts are in little baggies in the boxes and supposedly they're all tagged. I think she said it also has the manuals with it as well.

When my mom gets home from testifying against some scumbag scam artists in FL she's supposed to take pictures for me, which I'll post up, as well as the VIN. She says she does have a clean Ca title for it.

She doesn't want to part it out, she's really wants to see it back on the road, so I figured I'd post it up here and see if anyone was interested. I have no idea how much a project like this is worth, nor how much you'd have to spend to get it up and running, I found a single complete bike for sale on ebay for 2750, so I'm thinking well south of that number.

The bike is currently located in Indio, California. Mom would obviously prefer to do a local pickup, but we might be able to work something out for shipping for the right deal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Tesserarius

That sounds awesome. If I were a bit more mechanically inclined I would be very interested. Loved the look of the the dream.

Good luck!
post #3 of 19 Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Oh man, I would DEFINITELY be down for something like this. But I bet the shipping from California to Georgia is outrageous. My zip is 30127 if you wanna shoot me a price quote...

post #4 of 19 Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher919 View Post
Oh man, I would DEFINITELY be down for something like this. But I bet the shipping from California to Georgia is outrageous. My zip is 30127 if you wanna shoot me a price quote...
I did a thing on uShip to see how much it would be. I'll let you know how much I get quoted.

post #5 of 19 Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Okay thanks.

post #6 of 19 Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

This would be a fantastic project for Rick on that restoration show.

He would turn it into what it deserves to be and make your Gramps beam with pride and happiness!

Were I a man in a different fiscal life and home obligations, we would speak of that bikes future. And believe me, to the right person that bike has a fine future.

Good luck, Asraiil

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #7 of 19 Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Wow, a single seat really transforms the look of this bike! I'm hoping someone gets this put together. A piece of Honda history

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #8 of 19 Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Found this one when I was trying to explain to my coworkers what it was. It really caught my eye with that blue.

post #9 of 19 Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I've always thought the old Dreams were cool bikes. I've looked into buying one a few times on Craigslist here in Colorado, but the situation was never quite right. That being said, I prefer the CB77 Superhawk, if I had my druthers.

So, this bike is a basket case in need of a rebuild, been in boxes for decades? To be perfectly honest, I'd most likely offer sub-$500 for a bike in that condition. Dreams aren't so rare as to be worth a ton of money.

YMMV

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 19 Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I've always thought the old Dreams were cool bikes. I've looked into buying one a few times on Craigslist here in Colorado, but the situation was never quite right. That being said, I prefer the CB77 Superhawk, if I had my druthers.

So, this bike is a basket case in need of a rebuild, been in boxes for decades? To be perfectly honest, I'd most likely offer sub-$500 for a bike in that condition. Dreams aren't so rare as to be worth a ton of money.

YMMV

Yeah, that's just about the gist of it. Mom's not looking to get much out of it, she was hoping to get 500, but is negotiable. I did a quote to ship to the East coast, and it looks to be around 600, so shipping would actually cost more than the bike itself.

I'm still waiting on pictures, Mom was really busy catching up on work after getting back from testifying in FL yesterday, but she did tell me that the frame needs to be welded, not sure where. I'm hoping it's not on a critical area because if that's the case then I'm not sure it'd even be salable at that point and should probably be parted out instead.

She's got this thing with seeing it get back on the road, so I'm hoping the crack or whatever it is isn't in a spot that's going to kill the bike.

post #11 of 19 Old 10-31-2013, 06:52 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Being a monocoque frame, the need for welding could spell big problems.

All it is is a stamped steel structure and pretty thin.

But, it is a great resto project for the right person.

Those are some sexah bikes for all time.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #12 of 19 Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Having worked on and modified many stamped steel Honda frames I can say they are very easy to weld as long as you have an oxyacetylene welder and some foggy notion what you are doing.

Come to think of it I have a long time friend who restores old Hondas and has been looking for an inexpensive Dream for years. I'll give him a call and get back to you.

Indio? No sweat.

Rob

post #13 of 19 Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ok guys, Just got done getting all the pictures uploaded to Flickr, so here's the link: Honda Dream - a set on Flickr

There's a ton of pictures in there, and from what I can see the engine looks clean, and the frame looks good. The crack in the "frame" is actually on the rear fender, so I think it's well away from any of the structural support areas. My Grandpa had the manual and several other books to go with it, not sure what they are exactly as mom didn't elaborate. she did get a shot of the stamp on the frame, and it's a CA78.

I think my Grandpa really did want to rebuild this one (he always had a project going, most never were finished), as he had it completely disassembled and has some newer parts, like two gas tanks (one nice, the other beat up) and a spare rear wheel, and mom says there may be another engine. There are a bunch of parts in boxes, and he wrote page references for where they went on a bunch of them (you can see a few tagged in the photos).

So, just in case anyone is interested, there's as much info as I have on her, like I said the only stipulation on the bike is that it goes to someone who's going to rebuild it and mom wants to see it running. Heck if you're close to SoCal she'd probably like to go on a ride with the person who does rebuild it.

Here are a couple of the pictures:

frame, tank, fenders.

parts.

manuals/parts catalog.

Frame, engine, headers, and tank.

Front fork

And the crack!

post #14 of 19 Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Imaginifer

I understand the desire to see it back together in its original state but keep in mind even if a potential buyer swears on a stack of bibles that he will impeccably restore it to better than new, once you have the money and he has the bike you might start seeing it in pieces on eBay at any time. That would be a shame though.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #15 of 19 Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

So, mom found the rest of the engine, it had apparently been wrapped in plastic and put in a box in the garage.

I'm going to try and put it up for sale on a few different sites, so we'll see what happens. If no one bites I'll probably end up trying to get it back together myself. I may have a lot of free time on my hands what with getting laid off in a week and a half.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Man that would be a fun project. Wish I had the extra cash.

post #17 of 19 Old 11-09-2013, 03:22 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Having worked on and modified many stamped steel Honda frames I can say they are very easy to weld as long as you have an oxyacetylene welder and some foggy notion what you are doing.

Come to think of it I have a long time friend who restores old Hondas and has been looking for an inexpensive Dream for years. I'll give him a call and get back to you.

Indio? No sweat.

Rob
Hey Rob, your friend isn't vintage Honda restoration guru Craig Barrett is it?

Professional
post #18 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Well, looks like the bike is getting sold. I have a guy coming to pick it up from mom's place tomorrow. I've gotta say, I'm glad to see it out of her back yard, hopefully this guy gets her up and running.

post #19 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Sold!

Ok, so she got sold this morning, hopefully he'll get her up and running once more (that's what he said he'll do, anyways )

Mods, can we close this one down?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode