Hey guys. My poor DR has not gotten much love since I got the 9'er, and I'd rather it be loved and ridden by someone than slowly rot in my garage.
I'm the third or fourth owner of the bike, and I got it in August 2004. I've done no real off-roading with it (couple of dirt paths here and there is it *sigh*), which sucks because that was the whole reason for buying it and not a street bike to begin with :P
Previous owners did some off-road riding, and there is a little evidence. The front rim has a slight bend in the lip, though doesn't seem to affect the ride. There are various little scrapes here and there, though overall the bike still looks really good. I'll post pics as soon as I can find some that I took of it last year. If you pull up a stock picture of a '96, you'll see it has a yellow/purple/white color scheme. If I hadn't gotten the 9'er, I was thinking of tearing it down and powdercoating the frame to get rid of the purple, and motarding it.
It currently has an 39mm FCR MX carb in it, though I hadn't finished fine-tuning it; I think it may be a tad rich. I got the carb on ebay, and bought the jetting kit from Pro Cycle, and set it per mx_rob's recommendations on TT (though I think they've been updated some since I did it). I still have the stock carb I can put back on the bike as well. Definitely like the FCR better, especially for allowing me to putt-putt around at low RPMs without making the bike all jerky like the stocker does. This bike has no leaks, and the gas tank is still rust-free (in case there was any question).
As far as I know, the design still has not really changed on these bikes, so parts should be very easy to get if needed.
Still has mushy stock suspension.
Mods (very few):
- I put a windscreen on it that is easily removeable.
- 39mm FCR carb with Pro-Cycle kit
- Twin-air air filter (hardly a mod, but it's a good filter :P)
- Gel seat (installed by PO). Still in decent shape.
- Tires have plenty of tread, but are old. I have not changed them since I got it.
- Upper chain roller is gone. Common problem on these bikes. It left a small hole in the frame, which should be pretty easy to fix with a welder.
- Ding in front rim, mentioned above.
- Starter sometimes squeals; eg, crank, crank, crank, squeal, crank...
I haven't torn it apart to see what's causing it, but I think it's minor.
- It's a pig compared to a DR-Z
- I haven't ridden it nearly enough
Bike has less than 5200 miles on it......
Based on research I've done, I'd like to get ~$2000 for the bike ($2200 will include the FCR carb...that wasn't cheap
). I trust you guys will tell me if I'm out of line!
I'll add more details if I think of any. Pictures to follow.
I live in Huntsville, AL.