Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

ok, what's the story bub?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 9 Old 10-22-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Immune

installing new gauges and turned the key to on. I did not notice tape came off wire and it shorted out on a fork. The wire that shorted out went to the tach should have 10.5 v (min) and it now varies any where from 1.4-8.5v. Hooked up stock gauges to make sure I was right and now that tach doesn't work. guess I just wasn't carefull enough. Now I need an ECU and hope I didn't mess up the tach on the new gauges, everything else seems to be working so I am hopeful they are ok

post #4 of 9 Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Touring919 might have one. Not sure if he is using it for his CR919.

Spoiler:

post #5 of 9 Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Princeps Prior

Just curious.....what set of gauges.

Depending on the gauge....you may be able to use an external rpm wire/probe.

My koso could be programmed to take just about anything....and they sell several different sensors for RPM detection.

post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Immune

new ECU on the way. I dont think I really had to replace it because there are other ways to get the rpm to read but i'm having trouble reading the instructions and I don't know if anything else got screwed up due to it getting shorted out. All that is left to do now is replace the ECU and wire in the tach.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Princeps Prior

Ah....you're installing the Koso I have.

Better off to either buy an oem speedo wire connector or cut the wires off your oem gauge and use the oem wires & connector to create a solder harness.......

Wiring the speedo while on the bike is asking for trouble.

I spent 2 nights with the soldering iron and studied the wiring diagrams as I went........ When it came time to install the gauge.....I just plugged it in like the stocker......

The trick here is.......the Koso has 1 master ground for the entire gauge....whereas the oem speedo sends a ground wire to each componant. You need to study the diagrams next to each other to figure out what is the ground wire, and what is the signal wire. The signal, positive wire of each componant is what the Koso wants to see....

If you don't figure out where the extra ground wires are.....you have a 50/50 chance of making each thing on the gauge work.

In terms of shorting out the ECU.....most of the wires are low voltage and use varying resistance as a signal..... You'd almost have to take the hot red wire off the battery and start touching this wire back to the bikes signal wires to cause any damage.

Get your master ground, hot lead, and switched power connected first.....tape em up.....then go from there......once those 3 are taken care of......it's really hard to mess anything up.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Princeps Prior

Ya know.......one of u should just simply write down the wiring color code.....that way for others....it will be a quicker install....

If I get time on Monday, I may pull my wires out of the headlight bucket and copy down all this info to post it up.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Immune

they only thing that got shorted out was the tach wire (hit fork). I know the tach signal is toast. By the manual the voltage is low (should be 10.5 min and I have 1.4) hooked up old gauges and that tach doesn't work now either. Everything else seems to work fine. I am replacing the ECU only because I really dont know if anything else happened to the ECU when the wire shorted (probably nothing else is wrong with it) It just pisses me off I caused the problem by not making sure tape was on all my connections before I switched the key on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode