Coerce LOW handlebars - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Coerce LOW handlebars

pretty undecided on bars so If fugured i would start with these...

if anyone has a set they can part with, let me know.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCrazy View Post
pretty undecided on bars so If fugured i would start with these...

if anyone has a set they can part with, let me know.
You mean the ones that do NOT properly fit, and I have two sets of to prove it?
Don't buy them.
How's that for honesty !
Get Renthal Ultra Lows instead.
If you are bent on getting the Coerce, jewels that they are, be ready to do some filing of the upper clamps on the outside edge, be forced to artificially rotate the bars too far forward - unless you want you control pods smashing into your gas tank well before full lock.

post #3 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

hmm, i saw a few bikes here with them on, though the operaters stated they had to rotate them a tad not to interfere...was really hoping for something that made more of a difference in lean than the Renthal ULs... i have no vibration issues, just wanted more aggressive posture.

02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD

post #4 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
just wanted more aggressive posture.
Thar's Bars - all the adjustability you'll ever desire.

You won't get lower than the Ultra Lows in a standard bend as any lower will hit the tank. Thars will allow you to go forward and lower I suspect - check out the thread on them.

A flat drag bar with minimum back bend 'may' clear the tank as they tend to be more forward placed, but I've not seen a picture of one on a 919.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f322/ha...ars-23997.html

post #5 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Thar's Bars - all the adjustability you'll ever desire.

You won't get lower than the Ultra Lows in a standard bend as any lower will hit the tank. Thars will allow you to go forward and lower I suspect - check out the thread on them.

A flat drag bar with minimum back bend 'may' clear the tank as they tend to be more forward placed, but I've not seen a picture of one on a 919.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f322/ha...ars-23997.html

I was in such a stitch to save him from Coerce that I forgot about the Thar Bars. Thanks for saying something about them.

post #6 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Pilus Posterior

post #7 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I don't know much about them, but see them mentioned a lot, would Clubman's be an option for him? Not trying to steer him away from Tharbar's but he said aggressive and aren't those basically clipons for non-sport bikes?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c=45&zmap=4917

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #8 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

I am considering clubmans...at $20 if I do not like them it is not a big loss. Close to $200 for the thar bars is a tough pill to swallow... i just got my bike, it has 30k on it, my main goal was for this to be a super cheap investment for fun. I just wish i could sample them...i was thinking of bending a coat hanger to the spec's of some of the bars listed...

02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #9 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
i just got my bike ........ my main goal was for this to be a super cheap investment
Bawahahahahahahahahaha

in theory you got the correct bike - HOWEVER - if you are like me and most of the 919 owners on here you'll end up spending $ on bling and goodies during your ownership. You don't have to of course as the bike is pretty sweet standard, but it is just begging for personalizing.

Do a call out to any 919 riders in your area with Ultra -Lows or other bars so you can have a 'sit'.

post #10 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i have a set of UL renthals $25 shipped and they are all yours. i drilled them for the pins and left 35 or so MM sticking out the end for the CRG barends works perfect.

post #11 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I am considering clubmans...at $20 if I do not like them it is not a big loss. Close to $200 for the thar bars is a tough pill to swallow... i just got my bike, it has 30k on it, my main goal was for this to be a super cheap investment for fun. I just wish i could sample them...i was thinking of bending a coat hanger to the spec's of some of the bars listed...
Clubmans were developed for one reason: to put the controls where they need to be on a naked bike (all there was at the time) to put it on the track, where you are either laying on the tank or all over the front of the bike in corners. They may feel "racy" at first but after the first 100 miles or so of being folded up like a carpenter's rule just to reach the controls they really begin to wear on you. Trust me, I've seen it a hundred times. When I was working at a motorcycle shop that specialized in race and cafe racer modifications we would reluctantly install clubmans for a customer with the absolute certainty that they would be back in a week complaining of all sorts of ailments relating to poorly positioned bars. I'd bet we sold the same set of clubmans 6 or 7 times.

Renthal UL's are a good alternative as far as they go, and Suburban Machinery bars (Honda 919, Honda 599, Handlebars from Suburban-Machinery) are another good choice, though they are pricey for fixed units. The Coerce Hyper Bars are 20mm lower than the Renthat UL's, and have a flat configuration (height and rise are the same), meaning they have to be rotated forward to clear the tank, which unfortunately gives them a positive rise instead of drop. Not long term comfortable.

Oh, here are CAD drafts of the Renthal street line. I was forced to make an assumption regarding the radius of the bends, but this will give you the idea. Notice they have the typical MX bar characteristic of rise (the ends of the bars are higher than the height of the second bend), common on dirt bars because they assume you are standing on the pegs much of the time and they are configured as such. Well, I don't stand on my pegs very often at any speed, and in order to get the drop where it needs to be for comfort on the street the bars have to be rotated back in the clamps, bringing them too close to the seat for my delicate sensibilities.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Renthal street bars.jpg (47.9 KB, 29 views)

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #12 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Listings for LSL LSL Handle Bars and Coerce bars COERCE Hyper Bars

Both have relatively full dimensions.

I'll have CAD drafts of them as soon as I can clear some time to do it.

Rob (Busily knowing the enemy, er, competition!)

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 14 Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Rob, thanks for the response, I would buy in a second from you based on all the service you have offered folks on this site, my budget just is not there. I had a question regarding you attachment, one the far left you have a column labeled "usual position" -Does that represent where the slope of the handles should be for street riding? -Not stand up dirt bike riding?

02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #14 of 14 Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Rob, thanks for the response, I would buy in a second from you based on all the service you have offered folks on this site, my budget just is not there.
Believe me when I say I completely understand. I am first and foremost a rider, and have always tried to help other riders set up their bike as they want it, keep it on the road (in more ways than one!), and hopefully educate in the process. Everything balances out in the fullness of time. No regrets.
Quote:
I had a question regarding you attachment, one the far left you have a column labeled "usual position" -Does that represent where the slope of the handles should be for street riding? -Not stand up dirt bike riding?
More or less. I have seen thousands of control setups, set up hundreds, and built a good mental database of the configurations and why some just work better than others on every level. When I look at or draft a bar I ask myself "How would I make that work?", and the answer is usually close to right. Often, however, the answer is "I couldn't." That has saved me hundreds over the years.

Rob

------- Rob --------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode