"Edit" - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Ian

"Edit"

I was wondering why we don't have the ability to edit posts. We have a "temp" short term ability to edit posts, but it only last for a few minutes.

This is the only forum I am a member of that does not give the "common member" the ability to edit there own posted content. It would give members the ability to close out there own FS: & WTB: threads and allow people to correct any misinformation or errors in there posts.

Thanks,
Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I've wondered that myself - I've been a member of other forums for 8+ years and can still find something I posted way back then and edit/update the info I posted. It comes in handy from time to time.

post #3 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM
dr1
dr1

I would imagine mainly because people take to "error correcting" a bit much, and invalidated entire threads, since the discussion no longer makes sense. Or outright throw tantrums and delete every post they made in said thread.

I see both of those examples all the time on other forums.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Ian

I guess I should have made this "Poll" post. That way we can see who really wants this ability on WT.

I will go back and edit/add that to my first post......oh wait never mind.

post #5 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post

I will go back and edit/add that to my first post......oh wait never mind.
*zing*!

post #6 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1 View Post
I would imagine mainly because people take to "error correcting" a bit much, and invalidated entire threads, since the discussion no longer makes sense. Or outright throw tantrums and delete every post they made in said thread.

I see both of those examples all the time on other forums.
Yup - exactly.

If you need a post edited after the edit window has expired ping a moderator and they will be able to make changes for you.

post #7 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Moderators are in Bold in the "Online Users" list.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yup - exactly.

If you need a post edited after the edit window has expired ping a moderator and they will be able to make changes for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Moderators are in Bold in the "Online Users" list.
I understand how the WT edit system works, it's just I am not fond of it. I feel we should have the ability to make & correct our own statements. Honestly I feel a change in editing protocol will make the "mods" job easier, and allow them to focus on the other tasks at hand.

I don't really know what the "mods" job description is, but this is how I see it. "Mods" should police the WT community, protecting us from evildoers and idiots. All the while making sure things run smooth.......not going back and correcting my spelling mistakes & punctuation.

This is one of the most respectable forums I visit, and I am sure the honest & friendly community that has been built here has very little to do with our inability to "edit" our own statements.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I understand the merits of everyone being able to edit their own posts, especially for sale ads, like when you want to change the price, etc..., but I can also see cases like dr1 has seen in the past where someone goes back and changes or deletes a post and nothing makes sense after.

Most of the moderation takes place as as new posts are made so edited posts will very likely not be seen by one of the mods. For instance, when we see a spammer it's when the post is initially made that we delete the post/ thread and ban the spammer. If they could edit later, they can go back and add their handbag and tennis shoe crap, and a mod would most likely never know. I'm sure there may be other reasons. It's been that way as long as I've been here (2007) and I never saw it as a problem.

post #10 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I agree that members should use the moderators for editing in dire circumstances.

I've seen whole other boards die because some user decided to delete every post he/she ever had on that board. That ruins it for a LOT of people as it can really mess up the flow of a thread. Also, for example, if someone states initially that they will buy something from someone in classifieds but then later fails to pay or it becomes a bad transaction, we now have proof of it, whereas they could try to clean their tracks later.

It's not just their own data and experience that is being protected; this ability would also affect others as well.

Just be careful what we say in the first place, is that really that hard to do?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

This place is much more mature than the supersport boards I go to, so I'm gonna have to side with having the 'edit' button. Mods are here to keep the boards running clean, so let them do their jobs.

However, I don't mind poking at mods to get my posts updated, either. So...whatever.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Ian

I have also seen instances of editing gone wrong. BUt thankfully this is not Honda Tech, Fireblabes, Nasioc, etc,etc. WT is a much smaller responsible collection of members brought here by there current & past love of the "CB919".

We will just have to agree to disagree on this point. Although I am highly doubt that the ability to edit our own posts will spell the end of "Wrist Twisters" as we know it.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM
no max no more

theres no edit button in life and there shouldent be one here

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #14 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 PM
dr1
dr1

I still dont see your reasoning behind wanting it. I use the edit button all the time, about 3 minutes after I make a post, look for any new posts, and realize I made a typo or spelling mistake, etc. What do you need to change besides that? If you made a typo that you didnt notice right away, big deal, your not perfection and now everyone knows it. Everyone would rather know you were a real person, who also makes mistakes...

I do see it making sense in the for sale section, but like pointed out.. Unless someone modifies the software to keep revisions, like a Wiki for example.. noone will be able to help you out later if someone decides to use the board to screw you over. But since I hate the absolute abuse of forum software in the first place, maybe it should be considered that perhaps its not the best venue to sell items to begin with

post #15 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Community Moderator

So... the edit window has been extended a bit to 40 minutes.

One of the reasons this board is a bit friendlier has to do with the edit button. What you post matters and the edit limitation raises accountability for posters just a little. In the long run it makes a difference. This is an awesome community and members are the reason. Members post great info here and this the value of the board imo - the goal of the edit limit is to protect the content so that others can learn from our experiences.

post #16 of 16 Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Mostly I'm thinking it'd apply to the thread starter. Updates on a project, updates on prices, updates or revisions to something....because the thread may not get the traffic/views if the initial post is a dud. Or viewers may not get the update unless they go through pages (most likely just a handful of posts down) of posts.

I'd also add misinformation as a reason as well. I know many (like myself) make-up answers and facts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode