WT's Facebook Page - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

WT's Facebook Page

Well, Thanks to Miss Janet H I am now helping out to administer WT's Facebook Page. I was wondering if any of you had suggestion as to what you would like to see on there and if we should broadcast it out to the general Facebook world (really the whole point behind social media) or keep it private with forum members.

Some of the thing I would like to put on there are

Events that people are planning
Rides that people are planning
Pictures People have posted
Birthdays
What Facebook calls Questions, i.e. Polls
And anything you guys suggest.

Thanks,
Dave

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I have to suggest private and members only. Anything more opens up a real can of worms IMO.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Discen

Garage
i just plain old hate facebook. Booooooerns

post #4 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Rides 'n events, fosho. Not sure how many WTers have fb accounts, though.

post #5 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I do. But I hate redundancy. What is the purpose of having a f/b page for w/t?

post #6 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

To get the word out about our community. Or maybe you haven't checked in for a while and this is a great way for us to say "Hi! We're still here! Come back and see us!".

post #7 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have a Facebook Account with the security settings dialed down as tight as possible for a reason. When you open everything up to the planet, you may get more than you bargained for. If you post up rides & events, you don't know who is going to show up unannounced. I really enjoy this group the way it is. If you are insistent about using FB as a marketing tool, which I believe is the reason for this suggestion, please use it as a invitation with a link only.

I really don't want to see any of these on FB.

Pictures people have posted
Birthdays (way too personal)

We are Members and not just people. We signed up and registered to part of this community.

Doc

post #8 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I locked down my FB as tight as I can as well. I had people I detained in Iraq looking me up for Christ's sake. Not to mention all the others I worked with. Who the hell knows who they are friends with. You get all kinds.

I rarely visit the WT FB page, same thing for the Honda 919 FB page. I like the forum members only idea.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
I have a Facebook Account with the security settings dialed down as tight as possible for a reason. When you open everything up to the planet, you may get more than you bargained for. If you post up rides & events, you don't know who is going to show up unannounced. I really enjoy this group the way it is. If you are insistent about using FB as a marketing tool, which I believe is the reason for this suggestion, please use it as a invitation with a link only.

I really don't want to see any of these on FB.

Pictures people have posted
Birthdays (way too personal)

We are Members and not just people. We signed up and registered to part of this community.

Doc
I agree with Doc on this one.

post #10 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
...I was wondering if any of you had suggestion as to what you would like to see on there and if we should broadcast it out to the general Facebook world (really the whole point behind social media) or keep it private with forum members.
I totally understand the point of going general public... but I strongly dislike the idea

I was part of FB for quite some time, but decided to delete my account in December of 2010.
I can tell you I never looked at the WT FB page more than 2 or 3 times when I was on FB.
Like Lemonhead said, I hate redundancy as well.
As an example, the Colorado trip was posted on another site - now I've got PMs and posts from two different forums, and emails to keep track of
(I'm not upset by this, just making a point on redundancy)

I support Doc & FlyCatcher's concerns for privacy as well.

One of the top reasons I canceled FB (and MySpace before it) is that I wasn't willing to share as much of my life due to the growing number of people wanting to be "friends", knowing that friends of friends might be lurking as well... honestly, I was getting requests from people old enough to me my grandparents - I don't need them knowing what I'm doing

So before anyone asks... the answer is "no - I don't want to be part of the Google+ project" The same reasons stated above for FB apply even more-so with the + project (gmail, maps, documents... lots of private info could be compromised)

My suggestion is to please keep the FB stuff limited to WT members.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Tell us how you rreally feel, Omaha.

We could get the word out with business cards:

www.wristtwisters .com

a global motorcycling community.
"It doesn't matter what you ride, only that you ride."

post #12 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Community Moderator

Wow - no opinions here.....

While it's true lots of folks don't 'do' Facebook, there are many who use Facebook at their primary avenue for info discovery. For those folks we have links to the forum and a small tease to encourage them to log in here. Posting event info and updates is really useful IMO. Also posting newsy bits of interest to riders is great and all this shoudl be public info.

When someone visits the FB page with a specific question we can direct them to the forum with a link.

I'm really glad that Dave has stepped up to help out. Facebook is a great way to make the circle a bit bigger and help expand the forum

post #13 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Wow - no opinions here.....

While it's true lots of folks don't 'do' Facebook, there are many who use Facebook at their primary avenue for info discovery. For those folks we have links to the forum and a small tease to encourage them to log in here. Posting event info and updates is really useful IMO. Also posting newsy bits of interest to riders is great and all this shoudl be public info.

When someone visits the FB page with a specific question we can direct them to the forum with a link.

I'm really glad that Dave has stepped up to help out. Facebook is a great way to make the circle a bit bigger and help expand the forum
How many events and or rides have you personally organized? Do you know what it is like to set up a simple ride on WT, ask people to R.S.V.P., count heads, have enough leaders to divide up into smaller groups based upon riding skill/experience, post some ride rules, and conduct a safe outing that members will enjoy and want to attend again. Once you advertise an event on a social network as expansive as Facebook, you don't who is going to show up because, as you said, FB is the only contact they have. If they were that interested, they would join and become registered members.
I've had the privilege of organizing rides & tours for GWRRA Chapters, ST.net, and my local club over the last 20 years. That doesn't mean anything except that I have a fairly good idea what goes into it. The last thing we need is a bunch of riders or other clubs show up who didn't read the ride rules and/or failed to RSVP. This is the equivalent of someone holding a small neighborhood/invitation only party and the word gets around the local school and surrounding towns that it's an open house. Chaos is bound to ensue and it becomes an absolute headache for the organizers.
Your suggestion dissolves the exclusivity of becoming a member here at Wrist Twisters.

Doc

post #14 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Community Moderator

Anyone can read about an event here at the forum as well - they don't need to be registered to read.

post #15 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Anyone can read about an event here at the forum as well - they don't need to be registered to read.
Absolutely, but it's a smaller sample................not spread all over the planet. Make no mistake; I understand the link aspect, but to advertise rides and events is a really bad idea.

Doc

post #16 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Former 919er

I know several people that use FB for everything and they are hopelessly addicted and from a security perspective they share way too much. I refuse to go there, but I am probably being an old dinosaur. Besides, I'm already addicted to two, great forums that take up too much or my time!

Doc raises some great points, although I think the risk of someone uninvited showing up for a group ride is only marginally increased.

I think that the under 30 crowd is likely much more into this idea as social networking is more integrated into their lives, in general. For those of us that don't use it I think it is a hard sell. However, resistance is futile, we will be assimilated, eventually.

If FB introduces "recruitment" advantages and if it is done in such a way to avoid or mitigate risks, then I guess it makes sense. I think it goes along with trying to have a future for WT beyond the 919 which seems to be a mostly a 30+ community (with exceptions).

post #17 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
I think it goes along with trying to have a future for WT beyond the 919 which seems to be a mostly a 30+ community (with exceptions).
This is what, I think, keeps alot of us here. It is kind of a niche, BUT, there are plenty of forums out there populated by ALOT of "squid kids" that I'm not interested in hearing from. The main reason I'm here. IMO. I always like to read about other members bikes that are not 919's, it seems it's a more mature group here.

post #18 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Former 919er

Yup, along with VFRworld, this is the best online community that I have been involved in. Aside from a few incidents/individuals, this place is respectful and fun. Kudo's to the WT community.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Well Dave, since you've taken up the flag I thought I'd throw some bait out there and shared the wt page. Lessee what happens.

post #20 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #21 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

So I certainly do appreciate the feedback. I want you to know that I am 28 and not 30 something. My job keeps me well aware of what everyone in the military knows as INFOSEC; Information Security. In fact you could consider me an arms dealer in INFOSEC. Without people being as dumb as to what they put on the Internet I probably wouldn't have a job. I personally keep important stuff on lockdown when it comes to FB and the interwebs. I only put COS as my home town on here because I love meeting new people and want to go for rides. Really being a community means you interact with one another and even though this is the internet it would be great to interact with other owners of our beloved 919 and motorcycles in general. I think we do a great job at policing the "Squid Kids" on our website (do I need to remind you of the now infamous sand on your tires thread?) so I think we are safe there.

That being said, I will ask permission from the OP if it would be okay to post their ride and meet ups on the FB website. I will respect people decision as to a "yes" or "no". No birthdays….However, I want you to know I was only going to put your Avatar's name down and not your real name. As you can see I have been doing "Question and Polls" already. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. The type of page we have set up you have to "Like" it to be able to see and interact on it. However, if you answer a "Question or Poll" your friends can see that and respond to it as well.

I love this forum, As you can see I have over 1K in post and this is the most of any web community I have ever belong to. The closest by far is only 300 posts. As others have said this is a great community but I think we need to get the word out to other 919 riders, and really other riders in general, that we are here and we ride! While that might draw in the bad, but like I said they would be weeded out pretty quickly, it will also bring in the good. There could be others out there with more knowledge to add to what the people we consider very knowledgeable on here share.

We already have a FB page and have had it for some time. I just wanted to help take care of it and make it fun to look at when you are on FB….

Edit: Kind of drunk when I wrote this so if it does not make sence then I am sorry. 24oz New Belgium Ranger IPA, Captin and Coke, and three more Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier make for a good night. Helps when you have the next day off too.

post #22 of 23 Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Greeeeat! We've handed our f/b page to an alkie. Well, at least he had a meal first.

post #23 of 23 Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Haha, I'd say he handles himself pretty well...

while I'm not initially liking the whole FB thing,
I'm a little more at ease about it.

We've talked it out, we're cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode