Moving Forward - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Moving Forward

Some of you might have noticed some subtle changes being made around our community. In the last month Lash sold the site, we moved it to a new server and have been working with the team to get organized. HondaJim and Ken have stepped up to help lead the community and are now Administrators. cmurphy84 & marylandmike have joined the team as moderators. I know you all are probably curious as to who I am so I'll first provide an introduction and then move on to our plans for WT.

I started my first forum nearly 9 years ago when I needed to exchange information with people about a project i was working on. I found it fascinating to see how a website could bring together so many like minded people and quickly my other project became 2nd inline to my new hobby of watching the forum grow and providing new feature based on members feedback. As the years passed I stumbled upon various forums that were started by hobbyists who no longer had the time or finances to keep them going and needed a new owner to take care of them. Unfortunately this is very common and thus I began to adopt forums. In 2005 I got sick of my job (if you have ever seen the movie Office Space, that was just like me) and I decided I wanted to try and work with forums full time. Unfortunately forums don't generate that much income so I had to cut my expenses and that's where the journey began.

I moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina where living was cheap and I could have a steak and beer for $5. Over the next 4.5 years I traveled around the world working from my laptop and living in places that were cheaper to live then the USA. I made it to 6 continents and had a blast seeing all kinds of crazy and different stuff. I got to go shark cage diving with great whites in South Africa, I rode a motorcycle from the state of Rio De Janiero to Sao Paulo in Brazil, went SCUBA diving on the Great Barrier Reef, had a blast in Thailand (and rode a bit there) and last but not least, I met my wife (she's Brazillian) along the way. Needless to say, looking back, I am really glad I choose to leave and go wonder around the world and work on starting my own small business.

At the current time I don't have a bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes and in college had a little 250cc commuter (which helped my GPA because I could park close to class). I like to ride and have rented bikes in Brazil, Thailand and Uruguay to see those countries. Although I would love to run out and get a bike, we have a 10 month old baby and my wife would worry. I don't want to put that stress on her at this point in our lives. Maybe in a couple years when she's not so sleep deprived I can come home with a surprise!

As I adopted more forums I was able to achieve economies of scale to lower the cost of operating a forum. I work with the members and enable them to lead the communities since often I was not a subject matter expert on the topic of the site. It's my philosophy that I am here to support the mod/admin team who are passionate members from the community. It's my goal to enable them with the tools needed to manage the community so they don't have to sit around waiting for me to take care of things. The team here at Wrist Twisters has been empowered and provided the tools needed to manage the community moving forward.

I know that their was some fallout in the past and some members have moved on. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the past, we will focus our energy on moving Wrist Twisters forward in a positive direction. We feel the internet is a big enough place for all of our communities to coexist and hope our members will find the community that suits them best to call home. Some of the policies in the past regarding domain name restrictions have been lifted and we hope that others can appreciate our desire to be open. This is not an open invitation to abuse our site with spam but we feel it's important to be less restrictive and coexist in an amicable way.

Our plan for Wrist Twisters is to get back to our roots. jetblast started a site where a certain level of respect was required and plan to move the pendulum back that direction. We plan to develop new features based on your needs. We have already cleaned up a lot of the back-end systems and added tapatalk per Woody469's request so you can access the site from your iPhone, Android or BlackBerry.

We will not solicit any donations to keep the site alive because the costs to run the website will be paid for by advertisers. Guests will see more ads and members will see less ads. Although many people hate ads this is the best way we can ensure our members that their time and knowledge investment here will not dissolve because we are unable to pay the bills. For those who absolutely hate ads, I would suggest an ad blocker add on to your browser and you won't have to see any at all. Never the less we will work to keep them discreet and never show pop-ups or pop-unders.

I have heard repeatedly calls for the owner to be active. I want to set everyone's expectations upfront that I probably won't be chiming in all that often on the public forums. I do plan to be active working with the mod & admin team to make sure they have the tools to manage the community as they see fit. I am here to be the forum expert and they are here to represent the community and be the subject matter experts. I know this won't resonate well with some but please have faith in the management team as they will be the ones running the community, not me.

I know this announcement was LONG and probably pretty boring. If you read it all, thanks. Just know that we are going to work hard to return Wrist Twisters to the respectful community it once was and we look forward to coexisting with all the other motorcycle communities out there (there is certainly no shortage of them). If WT remains the community you want to call home, great. If not, then we hope your time online will be pleasant no matter where you choose to spend it.

Kind Regards,

Andy R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Jesus, Andy you've been around! Very impressive. I hope we can get you back on a bike. There are more than a few members down your way who I'm sure will be glad to help if pushing you into a showroom can be called help.
Thanks for taking the reins. This is a good place as you can see with a bunch of right on people.

Dave

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #3 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

You sound like a person who has been in the military, and rose throught the ranks and learned that it is best to delegate to the pro's just manage overall.

Also your travels sound like you have been around, I to dove the barrier reef (off of Townsville) Rode through the outback, rode in Thailand, Indonesia, and just anywhere I visited and got the chance.

I enjoy this site, I have not been flamed to bad, and I enjoy the people here, especially BigDaa, he is just a blast to read.

See ya on the road!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber

post #4 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Man, great read on your travels! It's the good people on this site that have kept it successful. Glad you're here.

+1 on getting you back on a bike. I was 45 when I got the 919 and it had been well over 20 years since I had ridden.

post #5 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I can tell you guys that the past week has been a snap. Things got done quickly and effeciently. Andy runs a good team. Glad you're here.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hi Andy, Thanks for jumping in to take charge! I hope you'll jump into discussions here from time to time, but it sounds like you're a busy man!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
HondaJim and Ken have stepped up to help lead the community and are now Administrators. cmurphy84 & marylandmike have joined the team as moderators.
Hell of a team we got there, thanks to you all for your participation

Andy, welcome aboard.

Quite a story you've got there, I can identify with the "office space" scenario, just not the world travel part that follows.
Here's wishing you & the "A-Team" & all the rest of us the best of luck with the next chapter in WT.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I was wondering what the hell was going on. Guess that explains Murphy's avatar comment. Sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Thank you Andy. I for one could care less if as the owner, you participate or not. As long as the Admins have the tools to do their job you can remain the man behind the curtain. Unless you have cool stories to share, then by all means post up. Sounds like you do. Anyway, happy travels.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks for the welcome. The keys have been turned over to the mod/admin team and we should be set for a nice ride ahead.

post #10 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!(to your forum) This is a great place and it sounds like it's headin' in the right direction.

post #11 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

"won't be chiming in too often" hmf! *kicks andy in the shin*

But kudos on telling the usa If they can hire cheap labor, we can move where it's cheaper to live.

And good to know you've been around. Hope you (or the powers that be) won't put thumb screws on the less pc too badly.

In the meantime, *clink* welcome, and good luck.

I'll hit you up later about where I'd like to take the addiction thread.

No, it's not to rehab.

L/H

post #12 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Glad to have you. I haven't been on this forum long but my time here has been very valuable and fun.

post #13 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Gets censored

wait, wait.... WAIT, Did I just read the new owner dosen't have a flippin bike?

Oh no he didn't.

post #14 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
wait, wait.... WAIT, Did I just read the new owner dosen't have a flippin bike?

Oh no he didn't.
Hey Al Gore invented the internet and he doesn't even have a computer.

post #15 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Hey Al Gore invented the internet and he doesn't even have a computer.
Also don't forget he is the face of energy conservation but refuses to turn a light off in his mansion.

I think that makes it okay for Andy R to run a forum with just a desire to have a bike. Right?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

I would rather be honestly told that the owner won't be around and that the admins are in charge, than the empty promises of the past, Good on ya.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #17 of 38 Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I can tell you guys that the past week has been a snap. Things got done quickly and effeciently. Andy runs a good team. Glad you're here.
+1 It's been a breath of fresh air recently. Good things ahead.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Hey Justin! Hows things by you?

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #19 of 38 Old 08-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Hey Justin! Hows things by you?
Not bad, been a busy summer! Rode a lot this spring but havent been out as much the last couple months. Got some shooting done, Traded/sold some guns, bought others, so I have about the same net amount in the safe.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #20 of 38 Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

sounds like heading in a great direction. I just wanna talk bikes, fight about some politics, maybe some guns as we buy a house up here....don't necessarily need to go HostelEuroTurboPerv in every thread...

Nice gig you've carved for yourself, Andy, and thanks to WT folks for accepting this responsibility.

Jon

post #21 of 38 Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
The Cripple

andy, thanks for sharing a snipit of your life, very fasinating to read about people's experiences! i love this site in the short time ive been here, and would love to help oversee or manage things if extra help is needed. meanwhile, feel free to drop by from time to time and share a little of your experiences!

post #22 of 38 Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

welcome, and thank you for choosing WristTwister.com

post #23 of 38 Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

glad to see these changes Andy and as long as others have the powers needed to run the site and keep things on track I don't think anyone will mind that the actual owner is not around all the time. Thanks for keeping the site going.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #24 of 38 Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
Hell of a team we got there, thanks to you all for your participation

Andy, welcome aboard.

Quite a story you've got there, I can identify with the "office space" scenario, just not the world travel part that follows.
Here's wishing you & the "A-Team" & all the rest of us the best of luck with the next chapter in WT.
+1 I like the new look!

post #25 of 38 Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Andy,

Se consequir um moto no futuro, CUIDADO nas ruas de brasil! Que coisa mais perigosa!

Andei la' por dois anos, e vi muitos accidentes de moto, quase nenhuma saiu bem.

Parabens no filinho! Tenho uma menina de dois anos e gemios estao vindo em Decembro! (tambem, meninas).

Espero que vc pode entender isso, se nao, sua querida esposa pode traduzir por vc, viu!

Que trabalho otimo com o website! Muito obridado por sua ajuda!

Ate' mais!

~in Idaho

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #26 of 38 Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Bacon-powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Andy,

Se consequir um moto no futuro, CUIDADO nas ruas de brasil! Que coisa mais perigosa!

Andei la' por dois anos, e vi muitos accidentes de moto, quase nenhuma saiu bem.

Parabens no filinho! Tenho uma menina de dois anos e gemios estao vindo em Decembro! (tambem, meninas).

Espero que vc pode entender isso, se nao, sua querida esposa pode traduzir por vc, viu!

Que trabalho otimo com o website! Muito obridado por sua ajuda!

Ate' mais!

~in Idaho
Lisbon Idaho?

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919
post #27 of 38 Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Yep. Me digs the facelift !

post #28 of 38 Old 09-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekovach View Post
Lisbon Idaho?
haha, something like that. I lived in Recife, Camaragibe, Joao Pessoa, Natal, and a few other places on the northeastern coast of Brazil. HOT. Gorgeous beaches, too.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #29 of 38 Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Looks like WristTwisters is back on track, good job guys! Glad I stopped by this morning and discovered the new look and attitude.

post #30 of 38 Old 09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Former 919er

This is a great site and a nice community. I participate regularly on another forum dedicated to VF/VFR's that's also deep in history, information and great members. These two sites are exceptions to many out there where the quality of deportment is lacking. I participate and read other forums from time to time where there isn't decent control by the mods and a lot of asses ruin them. Hat's off to you guys.

One of my fears is for great sites like this to disappear. There is so much great information here, particularly about the 919. I'm glad there are people around who care and keep the good ones alive. Thanks.

post #31 of 38 Old 09-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Looks like WristTwisters is back on track, good job guys! Glad I stopped by this morning and discovered the new look and attitude.
Glad to see you here again, Scott! A great new owner and members like yourself is what makes this place one of my favorite forums and online community. Cheers!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #32 of 38 Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
One of my fears is for great sites like this to disappear. There is so much great information here, particularly about the 919.
We'll be here. Our intent is to grow beyond the 919. If you know some good folks who are into other types of bikes get them to come here.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #33 of 38 Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 AM
little cobber

Looking good Andy R. While you people are preparing for winter its early spring down here in Tasmania looking forward to putting a few kilometers on my new Honda CB1000R naked. Cheers Tazzy.

post #34 of 38 Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Frog Hospital

I have been off for a while. I like the new look and site work. Welcome Andy, and new mods.

Sunny

post #35 of 38 Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Who, me?

Contact me for AMSOIL products!

www.rmbsynthetics.com

If it ain't broke, keep fixing it 'till it is...
post #36 of 38 Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

But Andy R, have you ever skydived neked from an aeroplane?
Talk about freedom!
I to would love to be able to move somewhere else besides where I am and commence my adventures during my short time on earth.
I guess I'll have to brush up on my espanol to go live in the extra cheap

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #37 of 38 Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
But Andy R, have you ever skydived neked from an aeroplane?
Talk about freedom!
Haha, I bet. Too bad that freedom comes with a cost when you pull the ripcord.

post #38 of 38 Old 11-18-2010, 11:33 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Haha, I bet. Too bad that freedom comes with a cost when you pull the ripcord.
wait.. WHICH ripcord?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« - | Deals Gap Ride »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode