4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 2 Post By nathanktm
  • 1 Post By LDH

post #1 of 13 Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

How To Change Motorcycle Tires

Quote:
Why would anyone want to change their own tires? Isnít it hard work that usually involves at least one bleeding knuckle? Donít the tools cost a small fortune when you consider that shops only charge about 25 bucks for the service? Well, some riders donít live within a few miles of a bike shop. And some folks, well, theyíve always got to do things themselves.

The good news is that, overworked sweat glands aside, changing tires is relatively easy Ė once you have the right tools. All you really need is a bead breaker, a set of tire irons, some dish soap, and a tire balancing stand.

Begin with your bike on front and rear stands. Once youíve removed a wheel, unscrew the valve core with a valve stem tool. After the tire has finished its lengthy sigh, place your wheel on an old tire or other work surface. Whatever support you use, you want to make sure the wheel is not resting on a brake disc while youíre working on the bead. Discs bend all too easily and are quite expensive.
Read more about How To Change Motorcycle Tires at Motorcycle.com.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Tesserarius

Take a carpenter 's knife. Split the tire down the center. Break the bead. Just pull the 2 halves off. You don't have to have a valve core tool, or possibly loose the valve core. You don't have to take a chance marring the rim by prying on it. Quick and easy.
Islandboy likes this.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-29-2017, 07:39 PM
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Take a carpenter 's knife. Split the tire down the center. Break the bead. Just pull the 2 halves off. You don't have to have a valve core tool, or possibly loose the valve core. You don't have to take a chance marring the rim by prying on it. Quick and easy.
That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing mate!

post #4 of 13 Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
So instead of using a $4 valve core remover your strategy is to stab a tire filled with compressed air with a sharp object? That doesn't sound like a great idea. Also, I've always had a harder time getting the new tire on as opposed to removing the old one.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Tesserarius

Then get out your $4 valve core tool and pry around on your wheel. And be sure to wear gloves, like the pussy in the video.

post #6 of 13 Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

My method of breaking the bead is free and easy. I just use a hydraulic bead breaker on a tire machine
LDH and badmoon692008 like this.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Then get out your $4 valve core tool and pry around on your wheel. And be sure to wear gloves, like the pussy in the video.
No prying is necessary with a bead breaker... and you can make one out of a 2x4 and a hinge if money is tight...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #8 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 12:19 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
My method of breaking the bead is free and easy. I just use a hydraulic bead breaker on a tire machine

Me too especially since I graduated to the school of having one in my own damn garage!

post #9 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Me too especially since I graduated to the school of having one in my own damn garage!

Yeah, unfortunately the motor on mine died so I gotta turn it by hand....

post #10 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Also, I've always had a harder time getting the new tire on as opposed to removing the old one.
The last 60 degrees of getting the top bead over the rim requires a couple of tire irons in my hands.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #11 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Tesserarius

I don't change enough tires to justify the fancy hydroelectric model.

Rubber off and rubber on, is pretty easy. I hate taking the wheels off the bike. And l really hate having to put the wheel back on!

post #12 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 10:26 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I don't change enough tires to justify the fancy hydroelectric model.

Rubber off and rubber on, is pretty easy. I hate taking the wheels off the bike. And l really hate having to put the wheel back on!

Sheeeit I do... I'm lucky to get 400 miles out of a rear tire and that is if I am just having a good time without any real sense of urgency out there.

I don't mind the wheel installs it's the damn safety wiring that gets me in a twist...

mcromo44 likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Sheeeit I do... I'm lucky to get 400 miles out of a rear tire and that is if I am just having a good time without any real sense of urgency out there.

I don't mind the wheel installs it's the damn safety wiring that gets me in a twist...

ALMOST too pretty.....................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode