• 1 Post By Sniper

post #1 of 14 Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Community Moderator

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Evans Off Camber – That Thing We Do

For the past week, I’ve been thinking about the reaction to our selection of the 2015 Motorcycle of the Year, or more accurately, the reaction from some readers to our selection of the Indian Scout as the recipient of the MOTY. You’d think that, after so many years in the moto-press, I’d be immune to the vitriol spewed online by people who don’t agree with a choice or statement or evaluation I’ve made. For some reason, however, being accused of accepting bribes in exchange for the MOTY chapped me, where normally I’d laugh off this kind of dreck. Maybe it was because I was the one who initially suggested the Scout was the best choice for the award.

First, I’m all for discussion around differing opinions. They can be a ton of fun – especially when the sparks fly. (If only you could listen to some of the arguments that erupt when we’re discussing the competitors in a shootout.) Also, I used to hang around a few motorcycle forums “discussing” bikes and other issues before work and parenthood made me decide that my dwindling free time should be spent doing things like actually riding. (Ah, good times!) Second, anyone who knows anything regarding those of us who scribble about bikes for a living understands that we certainly wouldn’t do it for long if earning lots of money were a priority. The cliché about park rangers getting paid in sunsets applies here, only we collect apexes. While that may be a huge part of the initial attraction to this gig, those of us who stick around end up suffering from an almost incurable malady: We genuinely love motorcycles and can’t spend more than a few days without them. Those who don’t never last long.

Whatever! – Consensus

Once the hook is set, the lifers in the motorcycle journalism biz (and I don’t see a single member of the MO staff that isn’t a terminal case) dutifully go about doing the best job they can of conveying the good and the bad of the machinery they can’t get enough of. Yes, it’s true, sometimes we’re invited to go to exotic locations to ride the latest bikes at venues any moto enthusiast would love to sample.

What do we do after a day on the track or some winding mountain roads and a fattening meal provided by the manufacturer? Generally, we retire to our hotel rooms after dinner and begin typing until the wee hours to meet a deadline. John Burns touched on this in one of his recent columns: “It’s a hard and dangerous business passing judgment on all these new motorcycles. Not so much physically dangerous (though there is that), but more like dangerous we’ll get it wrong.”

Whether it’s testing the latest motorcycle or helmet technology, the staff at MO brings an unmatched level of dedication, experience, and professionalism to everything we publish.
Sometimes that does happen, the getting something wrong thing (usually when rushing to meet a short deadline), and when it’s pointed out to us, we really do appreciate the correction. I know I do (I’m pretty sure this sentiment is shared by my coworkers), and I make a point of thanking the folks who pointed out my error. After all, we’re in the business of sharing the best information we can about motorcycling (hopefully, while beating our competition into submission by doing it in a more entertaining manner), and if we weren’t interested in constantly learning new things, we’d have chosen a field that required less annual churning of information. Working on a web publication means we can immediately correct mistakes, preventing them from being disseminated to more readers. In print, we’d have to insert the correction into the next production cycle, possibly waiting a couple months before the correction hits the newsstands, while the faulty information lives on in its originally published form forever.

Weighty stuff, no? It’s the type of stuff that makes us wake up in the middle of the night to check a fact about a story we’re writing when a new thought makes that leap from our subconscious.

So, let’s say you think I’m mistaken for lobbying my fellow MOrons to the cause of the Scout as MOTY instead of, say, your beloved Kawazuki-Davidsilia. Give your reasons for disagreeing with our choice. Make it a discussion. A debate, even. Then, after the cogent debate, you can insult me.

When you immediately accuse us of being on a particular manufacturer’s payroll, you do two things. First, you belittle yourself. If you truly believed that we’re on the take, it’s strange that you’d bother to come here. And if we produce a story that you believe is a product of this bribery, why are you outraged about a selection you expected to be dishonest? Popping off about something without providing any support is about as constructive as farting in a crowded elevator. Yes, everyone did notice, but how has it contributed anything productive to the topic you apparently feel so strongly about?

I understand the desire to vent your spleen on the unsuspecting soul on the other side of the computer screen. Lord knows, I’ve done it enough times, but the funny thing is, on a few occasions I’ve recognized an error and apologized for my cranial-anal-inversion, and I’ve gone on to become friends with a detractor despite our differences. Try it out. You might find the pleasant exchange of information about motorcycles to be more fun than trading insults.

Then again, you might not. In that case, just put a sock in it.

Read More Here: Evans Off Camber ? That Thing We Do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Well said. Keep doing what you do, even if our 919 doesn't win next year!

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The Praise for the Scout simply didn't say what the bike did better than every other candidate for the award. The article says it was better than the other budget cruisers and Indian/Polaris is doing a bunch of cool stuff.

Most of us can afford ONE bike at a time, and for those who read MO a cruiser would be a third, MAYBE second bike.

The Scout is a good entry level cruiser, so what.

Oh and nice jab at those of us who ride bikes and participate in forums. Classy since ya'll own the forum.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

The fact that you laid a pristine 599 down on THIS site tells me enough....

Good, you kept the smilies!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
The fact that you laid a pristine 599 down on THIS site tells me enough....

Good, you kept the smilies!!!
A Tuono would have been too obvious

post #6 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 08:43 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

[QUOTE=Tech Admin;1121865]

If you truly believed that we’re on the take, it’s strange that you’d bother to come here.

]/QUOTE]

We've been coming here allot longer than you think.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #7 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM
just send it.

Garage
Who cares. All the MC.com posts is just click bait to attract people to their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post

If you truly believed that we’re on the take, it’s strange that you’d bother to come here.

We've been coming here allot longer than you think.
Our new overloads might be the reason I finally leave this website. I like the people here, but management blows.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Who cares. All the MC.com posts is just click bait to attract people to their website.

Our new overloads might be the reason I finally leave this website. I like the people here, but management blows.
You know it.

General George S. Patton
post #9 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post

For the past week, I’ve been thinking about the reaction to our selection of the 2015 Motorcycle of the Year, or more accurately, the reaction from some readers to our selection of the Indian Scout as the recipient of the MOTY. You’d think that, after so many years in the moto-press, I’d be immune to the vitriol spewed online by people who don’t agree with a choice or statement or evaluation I’ve made. For some reason, however, being accused of accepting bribes in exchange for the MOTY chapped me, where normally I’d laugh off this kind of dreck. Maybe it was because I was the one who initially suggested the Scout was the best choice for the award.

First, I’m all for discussion around differing opinions. They can be a ton of fun – especially when the sparks fly. (If only you could listen to some of the arguments that erupt when we’re discussing the competitors in a shootout.) Also, I used to hang around a few motorcycle forums “discussing” bikes and other issues before work and parenthood made me decide that my dwindling free time should be spent doing things like actually riding. (Ah, good times!) Second, anyone who knows anything regarding those of us who scribble about bikes for a living understands that we certainly wouldn’t do it for long if earning lots of money were a priority. The cliché about park rangers getting paid in sunsets applies here, only we collect apexes. While that may be a huge part of the initial attraction to this gig, those of us who stick around end up suffering from an almost incurable malady: We genuinely love motorcycles and can’t spend more than a few days without them. Those who don’t never last long.

Whatever! – Consensus

Once the hook is set, the lifers in the motorcycle journalism biz (and I don’t see a single member of the MO staff that isn’t a terminal case) dutifully go about doing the best job they can of conveying the good and the bad of the machinery they can’t get enough of. Yes, it’s true, sometimes we’re invited to go to exotic locations to ride the latest bikes at venues any moto enthusiast would love to sample.

What do we do after a day on the track or some winding mountain roads and a fattening meal provided by the manufacturer? Generally, we retire to our hotel rooms after dinner and begin typing until the wee hours to meet a deadline. John Burns touched on this in one of his recent columns: “It’s a hard and dangerous business passing judgment on all these new motorcycles. Not so much physically dangerous (though there is that), but more like dangerous we’ll get it wrong.”

Whether it’s testing the latest motorcycle or helmet technology, the staff at MO brings an unmatched level of dedication, experience, and professionalism to everything we publish.
Sometimes that does happen, the getting something wrong thing (usually when rushing to meet a short deadline), and when it’s pointed out to us, we really do appreciate the correction. I know I do (I’m pretty sure this sentiment is shared by my coworkers), and I make a point of thanking the folks who pointed out my error. After all, we’re in the business of sharing the best information we can about motorcycling (hopefully, while beating our competition into submission by doing it in a more entertaining manner), and if we weren’t interested in constantly learning new things, we’d have chosen a field that required less annual churning of information. Working on a web publication means we can immediately correct mistakes, preventing them from being disseminated to more readers. In print, we’d have to insert the correction into the next production cycle, possibly waiting a couple months before the correction hits the newsstands, while the faulty information lives on in its originally published form forever.

Weighty stuff, no? It’s the type of stuff that makes us wake up in the middle of the night to check a fact about a story we’re writing when a new thought makes that leap from our subconscious.

So, let’s say you think I’m mistaken for lobbying my fellow MOrons to the cause of the Scout as MOTY instead of, say, your beloved Kawazuki-Davidsilia. Give your reasons for disagreeing with our choice. Make it a discussion. A debate, even. Then, after the cogent debate, you can insult me.

When you immediately accuse us of being on a particular manufacturer’s payroll, you do two things. First, you belittle yourself. If you truly believed that we’re on the take, it’s strange that you’d bother to come here. And if we produce a story that you believe is a product of this bribery, why are you outraged about a selection you expected to be dishonest? Popping off about something without providing any support is about as constructive as farting in a crowded elevator. Yes, everyone did notice, but how has it contributed anything productive to the topic you apparently feel so strongly about?

I understand the desire to vent your spleen on the unsuspecting soul on the other side of the computer screen. Lord knows, I’ve done it enough times, but the funny thing is, on a few occasions I’ve recognized an error and apologized for my cranial-anal-inversion, and I’ve gone on to become friends with a detractor despite our differences. Try it out. You might find the pleasant exchange of information about motorcycles to be more fun than trading insults.

Then again, you might not. In that case, just put a sock in it.

Read More Here: Evans Off Camber ? That Thing We Do

ForumRunner_20150828_161356.png

post #10 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 02:42 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

^^hehehehehe^^

General George S. Patton
post #11 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 03:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

What a load of cap this thread turned out to be. For some odd reason, I had hoped to learn something about motorcycling. Instead, we got a long winded tirade from some self absorbed moto journalist, who thinks the world revolves around him. Rides motorcycles for a living, probably in California, and boo hoo, I have to read a little hate mai. Tell me one more time about how friggin great you are, and how you work for peanuts.

If you want the truth about what goes on behind the scenes in motorags, from a Straight Shooter, ask LDH what goes on.
Dave W. likes this.

post #12 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 07:26 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
What a load of cap this thread turned out to be. For some odd reason, I had hoped to learn something about motorcycling. Instead, we got a long winded tirade from some self absorbed moto journalist, who thinks the world revolves around him. Rides motorcycles for a living, probably in California, and boo hoo, I have to read a little hate mai. Tell me one more time about how friggin great you are, and how you work for peanuts.

If you want the truth about what goes on behind the scenes in motorags, from a Straight Shooter, ask LDH what goes on.
I agree. This is horsesh^t to say the least.

The cutesy emoticons suck balls, too.

General George S. Patton
post #13 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 06:07 PM
just send it.

Garage
Evans Off Camber – That Thing We Do

[This space for rent]
post #14 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Well you can take the MOTY award back or you would be an Indian Giver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode