2016 Honda Africa Twin Review - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By firedave

post #1 of 12 Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

2016 Honda Africa Twin Review

Quote:
The Africa Twin is one of the most beloved Hondas to never have been imported to the United States. In 1986, the NXR750 Africa Twin factory racer made its debut at the then Paris-Dakar Rally. The bike was powered by a V-Twin engine, while the rally largely took place on the African continent – hence its Africa Twin namesake.

Following racing success in the epically grueling rally, Honda produced the XRV650 Africa Twin in 1988 and 1989 which used the same 647cc V-Twin engine as the Hawk GT, then followed by the XRV750 Africa Twin from 1990 to 2003 for foreign markets. Thirteen years after discontinuing that model, Honda has revived the Africa Twin moniker for 2016 as theCRF1000L, and this one is destined for the USA.

The Paris-Dakar rally is now known as just the Dakar and has relocated to South America due to safety concerns in Africa. So too has the new Africa Twin moved on, a parallel-Twin engine configuration replacing the V-Twin of the old XRV750. Of course, everything about the CRF1000L is new, especially the ones outfitted with Honda’s second-generation Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT).

Sticking to the Africa Twin’s historical roots, Honda chose South Africa as the launching site for the company’s new flagship ADV bike; a two-day riding smorgasbord of asphalt, dirt, water, mud, rocks and rain. Occasional wildebeest, baboon, and eland sightings ensured we weren’t mistaking the semi-arid deserts of South Africa for the very similar ones of Southern California.
Read more about the 2016 Honda Africa Twin Review at Motorcycle.com.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 AM
The Cripple

Yay more spam! Way to redirect traffic from this forum... When will you get that WE are not happy about this and are protesting this crap?

Yet another spam report. Sorry mods, nothing personal. Just pass it up the food chain and tell them how many reports have been made.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Yay more spam! Way to redirect traffic from this forum... When will you get that WE are not happy about this and are protesting this crap?

Yet another spam report. Sorry mods, nothing personal. Just pass it up the food chain and tell them how many reports have been made.
Honestly, I clicked on this and read the whole article. Liked it. Glad it's here. While I come here MAINLY for 919 content, other stuff isn't bad...

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan

post #4 of 12 Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I've read a few reviews on this bike and all of them made it sound like a great machine!

post #5 of 12 Old 03-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

Speak for yourself. I find it interesting.https://youtu.be/VSR0NMpSrQM

post #6 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Centurion

Garage
soooo has anybody pulled a trigger on one of these?

post #7 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
soooo has anybody pulled a trigger on one of these?
Yep....firedave

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ght-70321.html

post #8 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 06:33 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I would explore it gleefully if I had the coin.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Optio

Garage
After putting 2000kms on the Africa Twin I would agree with most of what the review says. I have no issues with it not being "fly by wire" but cruise would have been nice. The DCT transmission is awesome and once you figure out which modes work best with your riding style it's a blast! But it would be nice if it would remember which mode it was last in so you didn't have to reselect it everytime you turn the key off. The seat is quite comfy and would compare it to my 919 with a Corbin seat, easily get 700-800kms out of it before I would start to feel it. I wish the windscreen was a little higher or much lower as it creates some helmet buffering the way it is now. Over all I'm quite happy with the bike and can't wait till the aftermarket catches up so I can have a better selection of accessories (crash bars, skid plates, etc) without having to order stuff out of Europe.
ewmin3m likes this.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #10 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Centurion

Garage
So what do you think of owning both honda 919 and africa twin ? do they complement themselves nicely? I guess a track purpose bike and that would be it no :P ?

also do you think there are things to improve with the twin? potential changes to the next iteration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedave View Post
After putting 2000kms on the Africa Twin I would agree with most of what the review says. I have no issues with it not being "fly by wire" but cruise would have been nice. The DCT transmission is awesome and once you figure out which modes work best with your riding style it's a blast! But it would be nice if it would remember which mode it was last in so you didn't have to reselect it everytime you turn the key off. The seat is quite comfy and would compare it to my 919 with a Corbin seat, easily get 700-800kms out of it before I would start to feel it. I wish the windscreen was a little higher or much lower as it creates some helmet buffering the way it is now. Over all I'm quite happy with the bike and can't wait till the aftermarket catches up so I can have a better selection of accessories (crash bars, skid plates, etc) without having to order stuff out of Europe.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Optio

Garage
I think the 919 and the AT complement each other nicely. The AT is fun to ride but it doesn't take much it get the tires worn from edge to edge, the front being easier to do than the rear! But it is nice to see a gravel road and decide to go find out whats down there. When I feel like really carving corners the 919 does a wonderful job at that. Then when I want a little more speed I take out the old ZX9R.
The only thing I would change about the AT so far is it would be nice to have a adjustable windscreen. We'll see what other things i will think of once I get better tires and take it a little further of the beaten path.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #12 of 12 Old 08-05-2016, 10:48 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Having just moved to the SF bay area, Ill never see one of these. The poser bike of choice is the BMW 1200 GS here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode