xr600 carb - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

xr600 carb

Well, I took a short little ride today and almost got myself in a little mess. Some of you know I just recently bought an old xr600r. It has a plate and is street legal. I took it down the road to a little area of some dirt and trails where I have been riding since I got it. I'd been riding for about an hour - came out of a corner and wheelied a bit. Once I straightened it up it bogged and cut off. Looked down and gas was pouring out of the carb overflow tube. I immediately put the petcock in the off position. That is when I realized that I had very few tools with me.

I figured it was the float so I found a little wrench and knocked on the side of the carb a bit. Turned the fuel back on and it started pouring out again. Crap! Turned fuel back off. Knocked on the carb a little harder. Turned fuel back on...still pouring out....CRAP AGAIN! At this point I started looking for a way to remove the float bowl to get to the float. I discovered I didn't have a screwdriver that was worth anything in order to get the screws out of the float bowl. I start thinking about my options. I am about 3 miles from the house. You have to drive through some pretty deep mud to get back to where I am. I have my phone but I don't really have anyone I can think of with a 4-wheel drive truck to help me out. I'm definitely not calling my wife because....well...just because. Stupid bike!

OK, so I'm hot, aggravated and can't just leave my bike sitting there and walk home to get more tools. I pull the air filter off and set it out in the sun to dry. Suddenly I think....."bounce the bike around you idiot". I hop on the bike and bounce on the pegs several times as hard as I can. Turn the fuel back on and none is overflowing. Quickly put the air filter on. I fire it up in about 3 kicks and haul butt to the house.

Should I just replace the float and needle? Needle only? What would you do? This is the first time it has happened. I have ridden it roughly a dozen times since buying it.

When I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did....not screaming in horror like the passengers in the backseat of his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

If you're going to replace it replace needle and seat both, I'd strip the carb down to bare nuts and hit everything with a little spray carb cleaner first then inspect everything closely for grunge/debry, XR carbs are pretty basic and durable.

Dan
post #3 of 5 Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM
The Cripple

typically when a carb is stripped down and reassembled and there are issues with the float, 1 of 2 mistakes tend to happen:

1. on reassembly the floats are not set correctly or tolerances are not paid attention to.

2. the slide doesn't get cleaned and/or lubed (a dab of transmission fluid works great).

tear em back apart again and take a look at the floats as well as the slides to find out what's going on.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
typically when a carb is stripped down and reassembled and there are issues with the float, 1 of 2 mistakes tend to happen:

1. on reassembly the floats are not set correctly or tolerances are not paid attention to.

2. the slide doesn't get cleaned and/or lubed (a dab of transmission fluid works great).

tear em back apart again and take a look at the floats as well as the slides to find out what's going on.
Maybe my post wasn't clear. Sorry.

I haven't had the carb torn apart yet.

When I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did....not screaming in horror like the passengers in the backseat of his car.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

Interesting, I've never lubed my slide and it always seems to work just fine. Maybe enough 'prep work' wasn't performed prior?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode