Wrenching party in NoVa? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Wrenching party in NoVa?

So I see these on the Jeepers forum all the time, but hadn't seen any in here, and I just might be needing a hand with the Mistress....

So I picked up the Duc today in DC, and I'm really digging it. The ride home was as fun as doing 85 down the HOV can be, even though the road work tried to kill me (I was mid-lane change when they went to the split level roads, I missed the bump by a foot or so). Anyways, after getting her home and titled/registered/blah blah blah, I notice one of the fork seals is leaking. I'm not one to panic, but I already have a valve check coming up on it that I knew about, and while inspecting the bike the owner told me about a bearing that should be replaced in the triple tree.

So I know the fork seals can be replaced relatively easily (and cheaply!), but has anyone replaced the bearings in the tree? How hard is it? Anyone willing to come over to Stafford and assist (There will be beers and brats at the very least) with any changes?

I've also been reading up on the valve check, and it doesn't *look* hard, but having never done it, I could always use some advice. So would it be better to take it in to have a dealer do it, along with all the other maintenance that should be done around then, or is this something a reasonably determined person can do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130820_180144.jpg (341.8 KB, 33 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I'm no mechanic, but determined I am, and I would do all of what you said myself after a few hours of internet search and video how to's.

The bearings on the triple sometimes need to be pressed in, I think, I'd refer to your Ducati forum for those specifics.

For the leaky fork seal, make one of these out of a pop bottle and clean the seal.

Sorry, image won't link from my phone, just Google soda pop bottle leaky fork fix or something, you'll find some threads and figure it out.

...on my Droid.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

welcome to the world of $$$ maintenance. I'm sure you've already read the user manual and seen the maintenance schedule. Take it to she shop for any engine work and don't neglect your belts. A lot of special and expensive tools are required to maintain that beauty.

Congrats on the bike

post #4 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Even with the extra maitainence of a Ducati I would still love to have a monster. Good looking bike

This one

Dan
post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Even with the extra maitainence of a Ducati I would still love to have a monster. Good looking bike

This one
Yeah, but it's made in Italy!

...on my Droid.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

So I went ahead and called an authorized dealer to see what it would cost to do all the work, and let's just go ahead and say that the number was sobering. I shall now endeavor to do all the work myself, maybe with the help of some handy friends in the area.

On the plus side I've found that I can rent all the necessary tools from Welcome and they have some fantastic writeups on how to do all the maintenance.So it looks like I'm going to start getting some first-hand experience working on my bike, hopefully my determination doesn't exceed my capabilities...

post #7 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Looks like the soda pop bottle fix worked! I rode it for about ten miles after I got everything cleaned up and put back on and not a drop. That makes me feel much better, though I still went and ordered a replacement set since I'm sure it's going to happen eventually. Now it's just one less thing for me to be worried about.

post #8 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

EXCELLENT

Dan
post #9 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Awesome! Glad it worked. It's a temporary fix, though. Since you've already leaked some oil, and you know there is now dirt in there anyway, it's best to rebuild them.

But do your research first and do it how you want to the first time!

...on my Droid.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post

But do your research first and do it how you want to the first time!

...on my Droid.
Agreed. There is nothing like the satisfaction of fixing it yourself.

....on my couch.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

seems like V-Twin movement is growing on WT, slowly but surely. Who is next?

post #12 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
seems like V-Twin movement is growing on WT, slowly but surely. Who is next?
We have a V Twin which is my partners track bike. Which I dislike. Alot. All noise and no power.

post #13 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
We have a V Twin which is my partners track bike. Which I dislike. Alot. All noise and no power.
I can see the noise part but no power???? Are we talking HD here?

post #14 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Well this thing certainly is loud, especially since the PO put an open clutch cover on it. My friend who went with me to get it thought I was going to be pissed because it had a broken clutch.

As far as power, this thing has tons of it. I keep having to watch myself because I keep on accidentally getting into the "stupid speeding" range of the speedometer, mainly because it just seems to be really smooth getting up that fast, so I don't even notice it.

On the DIY fixing side of it, it seems like Ducati's just got a bunch of shit expensive tools that you need to do the maintenance, but I found a place that will rent them to you for a much more reasonable price. They also seem to have a writeup for every bit of maintenance that needs to be done, so I might just not be in a shit sandwich after all.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I can see the noise part but no power???? Are we talking HD here?
Its a Hyosung GT650 Comet. No relation to the Duc being talked about on here.

post #16 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asraiil View Post
Well this thing certainly is loud, especially since the PO put an open clutch cover on it. My friend who went with me to get it thought I was going to be pissed because it had a broken clutch.

As far as power, this thing has tons of it. I keep having to watch myself because I keep on accidentally getting into the "stupid speeding" range of the speedometer, mainly because it just seems to be really smooth getting up that fast, so I don't even notice it.

On the DIY fixing side of it, it seems like Ducati's just got a bunch of shit expensive tools that you need to do the maintenance, but I found a place that will rent them to you for a much more reasonable price. They also seem to have a writeup for every bit of maintenance that needs to be done, so I might just not be in a shit sandwich after all.
you will be alright. I ride with one s4rs and those dry clutches are something else. I like the sound of it thought.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I love the sound of a dry clutch ratttling, mix that with the booming exhaust of a big v-twin, pure magic

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode