Worn clutch? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Worn clutch?

Hello all, still figuring out what's normal on my new to me 919. So my friend has a 2006 919 with 27k miles. When he lets his clutch out the bike starts to pull pretty hard without it being given any gas. My 919 is a 2004 with 9k miles. When I let my clutch out without gas the bike wants to die. Both of are idles are around 1200 so that's not a factor.

Which one of these is normal for the 919? Is my clutch worn and the engagement zone is smaller? Is something wrong with my engine creating less power?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Ian

Possible that the clutch cable is stretched and needs adjustment? I would dissassemble and lubricate the cable and lever pivot .... then install and adjust everything back into spec and see how it feels.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfellows View Post
Hello all, still figuring out what's normal on my new to me 919. So my friend has a 2006 919 with 27k miles. When he lets his clutch out the bike starts to pull pretty hard without it being given any gas. My 919 is a 2004 with 9k miles. When I let my clutch out without gas the bike wants to die. Both of are idles are around 1200 so that's not a factor.

Which one of these is normal for the 919? Is my clutch worn and the engagement zone is smaller? Is something wrong with my engine creating less power?
This has nothing to do with the clutch, pulling at idle vs wanting to die. If you let out a bit slower, you'd get the weight of the bike already moving and the weight of the bike acts as a flywheel. There's a big difference between moving from zero and moving from 1/2 mile per hour. You can feather a clutch such that it'll take enough power from the engine to start the bike moving, but not enough to kill it. Get on your friend's bike and slip your hand off the clutch so that it gets full, instant power from a full stop. Now take yours and allow 30~50% power transfer until the bike is moving, then release.

The clutch will be worn too much when it starts to slip under increased throttle. Apply power at about 30mph at about mid RPM range and see if the clutch holds or slips.

You can also adjust the clutch so that it's about 1/3 of the lever movement when it starts to catch and has free play at the end that's about the same. That puts the work zone in the center of the lever movement.

EDIT: Also, age of the oil and oil type makes a big difference in the clutch.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Huh ok thanks for the tips. On a flat surface do your guys 919's tend to pull pretty hard just from the clutch or do you need to give it gas too?

post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Huh ok thanks for the tips. On a flat surface do your guys 919's tend to pull pretty hard just from the clutch or do you need to give it gas too?
I don't have any mods and I feather the clutch because it'll tend to want to die if I'm too quick. I rev the engine a bit as the clutch kicks in. You kinda have to because most bikes don't have much torque.

Once the clutch is in, I open up the throttle as needed, but I've got the revs up a bit already. It takes a bit of practice to get it smooth.

Some have the PCIII computer mod that can change the torque a bit, others have the variable throttle that makes for smoother take off.

Here's a link to the variable throttle:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...e-throttle-kit

post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 02:52 PM
McTavish

Quote:
To me, something sounds wrong with all this.
Cars have idle control systems that maintain idle speed under load, but a 919 sure doesn't.
( I can easily start our gearboxed Nissans from a dead stop with foot off the gas and engine idling, not that I normatively do it, but it is easily done and comes in handy when on ice.)
My guess is that without realizing it, some throttle is being fed in.
A 919 idling at correct speed in neutral and being started from a dead stop with hand off the throttle should die when loaded up by the clutch.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Cars have idle control systems that maintain idle speed under load, but a 919 sure doesn't.
( I can easily start our gearboxed Nissans from a dead stop with foot off the gas and engine idling, not that I normatively do it, but it is easily done and comes in handy when on ice.)
A 919 idling at correct speed in neutral and being started from a dead stop with hand off the throttle should die when loaded up by the clutch.

Oh ok cool. Yeah I've noticed some manual cars can do it. But glad to hear my 919 is normal then! Thanks!

post #8 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
It all depends on clutch application... I drive my 919 and my track bike onto my trailer up a ramp using just the clutch and no throttle and neither die... its a shallow ramp to be fair, with no one on the bike, but it can be done..

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 10:36 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
It all depends on clutch application... I drive my 919 and my track bike onto my trailer up a ramp using just the clutch and no throttle and neither die... its a shallow ramp to be fair, with no one on the bike, but it can be done..
I have never tried it.
Now I must !
Will report back.
badmoon692008 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode