Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Winterizing - stands necessary?

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  bartsitarski 
#1 ·
So I thought that I'd be able to take my new-to-me 919 for some practice this winter, but being a new rider I figured I should start off in as near perfect conditions as possible. So I'm going to mothball her until Spring. In preparation, I grabbed some Sta-Bil, a Battery Tender and some maintenance bits and bobs.

I did not spring for bike stands though, and I wonder if I should.
1. I read that you do not want your tires sitting on the ground in the same position for an extended period of time, as that can cause flatspotting. Mine will be in the garage on concrete slab and apparently moisture absorption is also an issue. How big of a concern are these, really? I live in Chicago.
2. One solution for the water absorption appears to be parking on carpet mats or wood planks. I can do that, but are they effective? If water absorption is really an issue, wouldn't the tires just absorb moisture from the moist winter air at every exposed surface, all the time anyways?
3. I don't have a ton of space in the garage, and while I can shift the bike's position every few weeks to prevent flatspotting, it won't go far. Maybe move the contact patch a few inches per tire. Is that sufficient?
4. Other than for tire protection, getting the tires off the ground seems necessary for lots of maintenance anyhow, including chain maintenance and brake pad changes right? If not, how do I spin the rear tire to move the chain for cleaning an lubing?

If stands are an overall good idea and not just for winterizing, what are peoples' thoughts on the Venom front/rear stand combo? I do not have the funds left over for that Pitbull stuff. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Howdy,
Folks here, including me, will tell you that stands (of some sort) are a necessity if you plan to do any of your own service. There are different types, obviously, and asking which is best is like asking which oil to use!! Everybody has a different opinion but just because they're different doesn't mean any are wrong. I mean that sincerely.

I have the OEM center stand on the bike but I also have front and rear stands. They are extremely handy.

That being said, I live in Elgin (near Chicago) and have never put my front on a stand over winter. I do put it on the center stand and put a wood panel under the front tire so it's not on the concrete. I do not rotate the front tire periodically during the winter. Right or wrong I have never had a problem with flat spotting the tire.

Now, this is just my experience. I am not advocating any course of action. I would get stands though.

#3 ·
I appreciate the input! The tires have a lot of tread left in them so I'd like to preserve them as best I can, especially since I don't like the idea of learning the bike on sub-optimal tires. But it sounds like stands are still necessary for the maintenance aspect.

#5 ·
I've never had stands but probably would if I stumbled on a set cheap enough. I bolted 4 iron plates to my rafters and use these cheap harbor freight hoists. I can also set the bike on jackstands while tethered to the ceiling so it's impossible to knock over.

Remember, the best thing you can do for your bike over the winter is to ride it. At the very least crank it up once a week or so. I know you're in Chicago and all but "winterizing" doesn't have to mean moth balling your baby until spring. You can extend your "riding season" as the mercury drops as long as there's no ice on the roads. A relatively small investment is a windscreen and some heated gear can do wonders. I find riding in winter exhilarating.

So don't limit yourself, PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) is real and can have devastating effects - STOP LAUGHING AT ME !

#10 ·
Remember, the best thing you can do for your bike over the winter is to ride it. At the very least crank it up once a week or so.

Please, for the sake of your motorcycle, do NOT "crank it up once a week." Cold starts put a lot more fuel into the cylinder than warm starts, and lots of cold starts could coat your cylinder walls and contaminate your oil with fuel. If you MUST start the bike, let it warm up completely to allow the fueling to return to normal and to heat the oil enough that it can burn off or expel all of the excess fuel and coolant that may get into the oil.

Cheap stands are fine. I recommend T-Rex stands, because they have been just fine for me, but the Trackside stands (CycleGear house brand) will do just fine as well. I will throw my bike on stands for just about any maintenance, I like having the bike level.

#12 ·
Oh, buddy! This is just the beginning. I made the mistake of starting a spreadsheet with all the mods and bolt ons that I have done. That was a mistake. I paid, IIRC, $3k for the bike and already have $4k in mods. The bug bites hard and there is ALWAYS something to change up.

That said, getting back to the topic at hand, stands are a must for ease of maintaining the bike. I agree that letting her sit for a couple months won't hurt it, and I always rolled the bike onto wood to catch any potential fluid leaks. Having a front and rear stand is the way to go though. With the front stand, make sure you get a triple tree stand. That will allow you to take off the forks for fluid changes and spring upgrade (stock 919 springs suck). Aside from that, some stabil, top off the fluids, change the oil, clean and lube the chain, and plug the battery into a tender. I put mine away when it starts to snow and bring it out in March or April.

#14 ·
Worry less and ride more. For the past 7 years before I had my own garage, I left the bike parked outside with a cover in the ice and snow. However, I did ride through the winter as long as the roads were clear. You can probably do the same as long as you invest in some quality riding gear. Worst case, take the bike around the bike. Don't worry about it if it sits for a few weeks on the wheels. Plenty of bikes do that even during normal riding season if you have time to get out

I would advise getting stands more for maintenance than anything else. Get a Honda OEM or sw motech center stand for the bike. Overall maintenance in the garage or on a trip will be so much easier. You would then only need a front stand (for now until you start collecting bikes).

#15 ·
Bart: Tomorrow was going to be MY DAY to take her out and around the block a few times. 57* and sunny! But I just got called out of town and I'm going to miss it all, including delivery of my stands. Seems like the big man upstairs really wants me to hold off on riding until Spring!

Ken: No worries, that is how I understood it. I treat my cars the same way - if I start it up, I better plan on leaving the motor running for a while. Cold starts are the devil for all sorts of combustion engines.

Sckill: I like the idea that this bike apparently can take some abuse. Not that I plan on neglecting it, but its nice to know that its still a Honda. Weather permitting and if I feel comfortable enough on it, I'll see if I can take it out for some practice during the winter.

#16 ·
Bart: Tomorrow was going to be MY DAY to take her out and around the block a few times. 57* and sunny! But I just got called out of town and I'm going to miss it all, including delivery of my stands. Seems like the big man upstairs really wants me to hold off on riding until Spring!
Sounds like the big man at the office:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

I am going to give it a go, if the roads are dry by the time I have to leave. I drive the kiddos to day care then come back and jump on the bike. It will be a good oportunity to test out my new box. Once it goes up on stands for good, the real fun begins. Ohlins rear shock, rebuild the new to me 2004+ forks to upgrade my 2003s, powder coat some front end bits while I am at it, throw on some T-Rex frame sliders (on the frame, not the engine), and touch up some part chips on the tank. Maybe polish the headlight and q-tip everything else. :grin2: I need some activities for when the kids are sleeping.

#17 ·
As has been mentioned several times, winterizing for 6-8 weeks of no riding really isn't all that necessary. Fuel injection really has been a great thing for that. I like to put Stabil in a carbureted bike if it is going to sit for a month, but that's really the only thing I do to "winterize." Fuel treatment, oil change, lube chain, remove battery (if the bike will be stored in sub-freezing temps), on stands, under a cover. I have a house in the country this year, with one bike in the shed, so that bike will get some moth balls under it too to keep rodents away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.