Wierd feeling from new rear tire on hard throttle - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 70 Old 05-10-2009, 07:41 AM
hairball919

Question Wierd feeling from new rear tire on hard throttle

Okay, now this is driving me crazy trying to figure out what I'm feeling! Every time I get on it hard, it feels like I'm riding on little bumps in the road. It's wierd. Just cruising it feels fine. It's only when I give it hard throttle in any gear. I've stopped in at a few Honda shops and they did a quick visual and said the chain is lined up okay, and the notches look matched up. So what the hell is that wierd "bumpy" feeling? I never felt it ever, until I got this new tire. Someone said to go back to where I had the tire put on and have them figure it out. But that's out of the question because heck, it took them almost 2 hours to get to my bike the first time, when I was losing air fast! I can't imagine how long it would take them to "check" my bike. 4 hours or more?

Any ideas what this feeling might be? Is it the tire? The chain? I feel it in my butt, not my hands or feet. One guy said to lift the bike and make sure the chain is tracking right. Another guy said the chain looks lined up fine.

I thought it could be my bike's engine "missing" a bit. Not sure why it would, and it sounds fine. But I wondered if 1 cylinder was missing on hard throttle. Haven't had plugs checked since the 600 mile service, and never been replaced. Odometer will be at around 8,300 by the end of today. Are plugs due for replacement already?

I'm baffled. I keep thinking it's the tire itself. First I thought it had too much are, then not enough air. I had it at 38 for a bit of added grip in the twisties, but a Honda guy at a local shop said 40 is better than 38. So it's at 40. It did this at 42, 40, 38, any psi.

After all the good things you people said about the Corsa 3 tires, I figured they would feel awesome. But this wierd bumpy feeling on hard throttle is bugging the heck out of me. I can't figure it out!

A better decription of how it feels would be like you're riding over those grooves they cut in some roads to warn you that there is a stop sign coming up at a dangerous intersection. Not quite that extreme, but sort of like like. Like someone laid about 50 garden hoses across the road and you ride over them. Only feel it in the back and not front.

What do you all think it could be? Or am I just trippin' again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

sounds to me like its out of balance...

post #3 of 70 Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 AM
hairball919

No, it does it as much at 30 mph as 50, 80, and even 100+. It does it just riding in town at city speeds. ONLY when I gas it hard. I've already hit over 120mph (indicated, of course) with this new tire and it's smooth as the top of my bald head at that speed. The bumpy feeling it only on hard throttle.

post #4 of 70 Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Check your chain condition and tension first. Could be binding under hard throttle, even if it's lined up correctly if the tension is way off or it has a tight spot in it. If its way looose it may be hittin the swingarm etc causing the vibration under acceleration. How many miles are on your chain/sprockets?

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #5 of 70 Old 05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
hairball919

Oh, about this many...

It's not loose for sure, in fact I checked it yesterday. And it was just lubed a week ago. I'll check the chain for bad spots.

post #6 of 70 Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Well since they just had the wheel off they should have noticed if your chain was bad or if the wheel bearings were going out. But it sounds like you didnt get the best service there so.....Things to look for,
1 check your rear sprocket to see if its true, like did they drop the wheel on the sprocket and bend it a bit,

2, check your axle nuts and adjusters to make sure they are tightened to spec, if not the axle may be walking around under heavy throttle causing binding, or

3 it is the rear wheel bearing, basically doing the same thing, the axle moves a bit under heavy load causing a bind. It wouldnt be the first 919 I have seen on WristTwisters with the rear bearing out, although at your mileage it shouldnt be.

post #7 of 70 Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

According to your picture, you traveled back in time....between 11/21/09 and 5/10/09? I think the first one should have been 08 or 07?

Shawn

2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE (Speedy - Street Bike)
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Shamu - Track Bike)
post #8 of 70 Old 05-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Well thats the problem then, your flux capacitor isn't aligned with your Mr. Fusion.

post #9 of 70 Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
According to your picture, you traveled back in time....between 11/21/09 and 5/10/09? I think the first one should have been 08 or 07?
How THIS? Better?

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Did that after a long ride then several cold ones.

post #10 of 70 Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
Well since they just had the wheel off they should have noticed if your chain was bad or if the wheel bearings were going out. But it sounds like you didnt get the best service there so.....Things to look for,
1 check your rear sprocket to see if its true, like did they drop the wheel on the sprocket and bend it a bit,

2, check your axle nuts and adjusters to make sure they are tightened to spec, if not the axle may be walking around under heavy throttle causing binding, or

3 it is the rear wheel bearing, basically doing the same thing, the axle moves a bit under heavy load causing a bind. It wouldnt be the first 919 I have seen on WristTwisters with the rear bearing out, although at your mileage it shouldnt be.
Hey, thanks! I'll check that stuff this week while it's rainy and my bike is resting peacefully in the dry garage! I do have a new Snap-On inch-pound torque wrench, so I hope that big axle nut is done in inch/lbs and not foot/lbs. Oh, are you suggesting I remove the wheel and check the inner wheel bearing tightness? Easy enough I guess, but a pain in the butt since I have no way of lifting the bike. Maybe barton will fly up here and hold it off the ground for me with one hand. (OOPS! I've done my best to back off and leave him alone and stop the humorous jabs at him. Guess I could only go so long.) I'll take a close look at the sprocket too while I'm back there.

Thanks again for these suggestions. They are a big help because I wouldn't have known where to even start.

post #11 of 70 Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

You'll have to get the rear off the ground to check the Bearing. quick check is just get it up with the weight off the rear, grab the rear wheel and try and rock it back and forth, if you feel play/movement, better disassemble and check that bearing out.

post #12 of 70 Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 AM
hairball919

Oh, both Honda dealers I stopped in at checked that, and both techs said it felt/looked fine, but then they didn't lift the bike. I'll try it. Something is not right, I just don't know what it is. And its nothing I hear like chain binding you can sometimes hear. I've even shut off the bike and coasted to see if I could hear something, but nope.

post #13 of 70 Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Tirone

just a thought

If you take the wheel off you might want to pop the sprocket hub and check the condition of the dampers. I've been in some shops where they take off the wheel ,pop off the hub, throw the dampers in a pile with others, change off the tire and then grap a random handfull of dampers to stuff in the hub .If one or more is missing or mismatched it could cause the rear wheel to hop under hard throttle. Just a thought. gale

post #14 of 70 Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM
hairball919

Thanks, Ill...

Never thought of that! I don't see why they would "mess with" someone's bike, but hey, this shop was a freakin' mistake to begin with so I wouldn't put anything past them! I appreciate the info.

Yep, like I mentioned, I only feel the wierdness on hard throttle. Normal riding or decel I don't feel it. But on hard throttle at most speeds and in most gears I feel it. NEVER felt it until I got this new back tire! THAT is what baffles me.

Thanks again.

post #15 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Guzzi Man

rear wheel hop on the gas hard

Try fooling with the rebound dampening
All the way in for full hard or back the screw out 1 turn.

post #16 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill919 View Post
If you take the wheel off you might want to pop the sprocket hub and check the condition of the dampers. I've been in some shops where they take off the wheel ,pop off the hub, throw the dampers in a pile with others, change off the tire and then grap a random handfull of dampers to stuff in the hub .If one or more is missing or mismatched it could cause the rear wheel to hop under hard throttle. Just a thought. gale
Of all the answers given,I would go with this, sounds like one of the dampers is missing.I just changed a rear and that sprocket falls right off.Oh and those dampers fall right out...John

post #17 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill919 View Post
I agree. That's what I would guess is the problem. I bet they lost one of your cush rubbers or put an odd one in there. Same thing happened to my buddy with the R1, they lost his entire set of dampers. Stupid shop monkeys.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #18 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

^^^ I agree with the above. Pull the wheel off and pop the sprocket out and inspect for "all" the dampers to be in place and make sure they are in good shape and not all torn up.

Oh, And you will need a FT LB torque wrench and not an inch pound one to get the axle nut tightened correctly.

Torque is like 70-100 ft lbs or somewhere in that ball park. Would have to look it up for sure but if you do a search, I'm sure it's posted somewhere

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #19 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 PM
hairball919

Thanks, everyone!

I'll have to check the dampers... when I figure out a way to get my bike off the ground. I have no floor jack, so I guess I better get one. As for a torque wrench, I have immediate access to one. I only bought the in-lb because 98% of the bike is in inch-pounds. Hey, a $290 Snap-On torque wrench shows how serious I am about getting all my specs exactly right, except apparently the rear wheel.

So anyway, yes I'll check those. And everything else. Soon. Just as soon as I find a way to get my bike off the ground. I even thought about using racheting straps and tilt the bike, then strap it tilted up. Not exactly the best idea and perhaps a bit ghetto, but I gotta figure this problem out. It's only going to get worse.

If I find out that the factory dampers have been replaced or damaged or messed with, I'll contact the attorney general AND the better business bureau and maybe even a court to get those idiots techs at BROTHERS HONDA IN BREMERTON, WA to pay for any "pain and suffering" I've experienced and the abuse they caused to my bike. They suck anyway, and I'll not spend another penny there as long as I may live. But it wouldn't hurt to GET money from them!

Thanks again.

PS... if I'm lucky, anyone who searches Google for this place will find my post!

post #20 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

You could buy a bike stand, or order a Phobman stand, or get a cheapo floor jack from Harbor Freight, or invite four strong friends over to hold it up in the air.

post #21 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
You could buy a bike stand, or order a Phobman stand, or get a cheapo floor jack from Harbor Freight, or invite four strong friends over to hold it up in the air.
I vote for the four strong friends to hold it up in the air. Hey it's washington state, there's gotta be some lumberjacks around there somewhere!

Professional
post #22 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

tilt it onto the kickstand and put a cinderblock under the exhaust... if you are careful and don't jump up and down on it you can do what you need to do...

might be jumping the gun a bit saying they intentionally did something bad to your bike....

i'm just sayin...

post #23 of 70 Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

tilt it onto the kickstand and put a cinderblock under the exhaust... if you are careful and don't jump up and down on it you can do what you need to do...

might be jumping the gun a bit saying they intentionally did something bad to your bike....

i'm just sayin...

post #24 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 03:39 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Not that it's any of my business, but from what I've read of your posts it would appear that you freak out easily and have a tendency to jump to conclusions. Saying that you're going to sue the dealer and drag their name through the mud when you have no idea if they even did anything wrong seems a bit premature, don't you think?

Approach this problem like any other in your life, methodically and logically. Every single little issue with your bike is not the end of the world or cause for alarm, learning how things work and figuring out what's wrong is a big part of the enjoyment of motorcycle ownership.

Good luck figuring it out.

post #25 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

I would make damn sure of any wrong doing BEFORE I started naming names and pointing fingers. Everyone can make a mistake, and unless it causes actual damage or a crash I would chalk it up as a learning experience. I would also edit your post and delete the dealers name until you find out what is wrong and discuss it with them. They might take care of it in short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
I'll have to check the dampers... when I figure out a way to get my bike off the ground. I have no floor jack, so I guess I better get one. As for a torque wrench, I have immediate access to one. I only bought the in-lb because 98% of the bike is in inch-pounds. Hey, a $290 Snap-On torque wrench shows how serious I am about getting all my specs exactly right, except apparently the rear wheel.

So anyway, yes I'll check those. And everything else. Soon. Just as soon as I find a way to get my bike off the ground. I even thought about using racheting straps and tilt the bike, then strap it tilted up. Not exactly the best idea and perhaps a bit ghetto, but I gotta figure this problem out. It's only going to get worse.

If I find out that the factory dampers have been replaced or damaged or messed with, I'll contact the attorney general AND the better business bureau and maybe even a court to get those idiots techs at xxx to pay for any "pain and suffering" I've experienced and the abuse they caused to my bike. They suck anyway, and I'll not spend another penny there as long as I may live. But it wouldn't hurt to GET money from them!

Thanks again.

PS... if I'm lucky, anyone who searches Google for this place will find my post!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #26 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Very good points from both above hairball

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #27 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 AM
hairball919

You folks are right, but you apparently having read the other posts I did about the day I got the tire! I'm not saying I'm going to do all this crap to them just out of spite and not once did I say I they intentionally did anything to my bike. I simply mentioned that if I find out they they switched any dampers on my bike I'm not going to be happy and someone will hear about it. All 4 of you took this all wrong. You need to read my original post from the day I got the new tire, then you'll better understand...

The parts guy quoted me a 10% discount on the tire, which was going to be added to the R&R bill rather than paid for up front. Then I asked if the techs had time to do my tire since I was losing air. He called back to service and they said YES, they could get right on it. So I said great, I'd wait. Well, I waited... and waited and waited and waited until my tire was totally flat. My new tire was still leaning against my bike exactly where I left it, for over an hour and a half!!! I finally went to the parts guy and said I would just put air in my tire and ride home, then buy a tire near my house. He went and got the service manager, who came back and said they would get right on it (gee, I had already heard this earlier). So, after arriving there at 3:10 pm, my bike was finally done at 5:30!!! Then when I paid the bill, I discovered that they had NOT given me the discount they quoted me. Nice! But I was already fed up enough after waiting over 2 hours, so I didn't even get into it with them about the bill. I just think $320+ for a $180 tire and an oil change is a bit steep!

So, THAT is mostly why I'm so pissed at that place, and I'm not ashamed to mention their name. I haven't gone out of my way to smear their name or drag them through the mud, but I certainly won't avoid it.

So anyway, if you guys have never been put through the same crap they put me through and forced to wait over 2 hours for a tire change when you're 40 miles from home and then paying a lot more than you thought you should... well, maybe you'll never really understand why I'm so pissed about thinking they might have replaced my dampers with junk. Don't act like my post is the first post where someone posts negative stuff about a dealer who treated them unfair. I've read many posts about unhappy riders, so mine should be no surprise. But it might be taken a bit easier if you knew the entire story.

Let's just say, for the sake of not stirring up a bunch of crap and turning everyone into haters, that I figured out the problem and it's taken care of and no longer feel the wierd feeling. Problem solved, so no further assistance or opinions are needed. Thank you all.

post #28 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Imaginifer

Quote:
You folks are right, ! But I was already fed up enough after waiting over 2 hours, so I didn't even get into it with them about the bill. I just think $320+ for a $180 tire and an oil change is a bit steep!

Let's just say, for the sake of not stirring up a bunch of crap and turning everyone into haters, that I figured out the problem and it's taken care of and no longer feel the wierd feeling. Problem solved, so no further assistance or opinions are needed. Thank you all.
Now order a set of stands to get the bike off the ground and start changing your own tires and oil.
$320 sounds like a $100 oil change which on some bikes with full fairing it would cost you.But certainly not the 919

post #29 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Now order a set of stands to get the bike off the ground and start changing your own tires and oil.
$320 sounds like a $100 oil change which on some bikes with full fairing it would cost you.But certainly not the 919

+1 ...What happend to your center stand? At any rate...You could have already paid for a pair of Pit Bull stands by now

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #30 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

180 tire + probably 60-75 to remove/dispose/remount/balance/reinstall tire... and ~65 for the oil change...

tax.... = ~320...

i ain't defending the dealership.. just pointing out that they don't put tires on for free..

both the dealerships a worked for charged ~65 a tire unless you brought the wheel to them...

and oil change is gonna be ~17 for the filter and ~7 bucks a quart..

28+17=45 + labor = ~65 bucks...

tax

post #31 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
180 tire + probably 60-75 to remove/dispose/remount/balance/reinstall tire... and ~65 for the oil change...

tax.... = ~320...

i ain't defending the dealership.. just pointing out that they don't put tires on for free..

both the dealerships a worked for charged ~65 a tire unless you brought the wheel to them...

and oil change is gonna be ~17 for the filter and ~7 bucks a quart..

28+17=45 + labor = ~65 bucks...

tax

Dealers suck asssssprin Who would ever work for such a place...Oh snap, I do

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #32 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Dealers suck asssssprin Who would ever work for such a place...Oh snap, I do
dude... whats your dealership gonna do now that chrysler is bankrupt??

post #33 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Imaginifer

My friend called the dealer for a tire change and they are booking them in June if you bring the bike in.If you take it off and bring the tire in yourself you can get it the next day.
Dam June is a way off !!

post #34 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
dude... whats your dealership gonna do now that chrysler is bankrupt??
It has been a good thing...Fresh start...Merged with Fiat...Parts are still readily available...Everything is all good so far. GM had a meeting with everyone in service last week and explained everything to us

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #35 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 AM
hairball919

Here is the breakdown (strait from the invoice)...

Tire: $180
Tire Tax: $1 (one dollar???)
Oil Filter: $15
Oil, 3 qts of GN4 10/40 @ $6 each: $18
Drain Plug Washer: $1
Install Rear Tire: $44
Oil Change labor: $30
Supplies: $14 (what was THIS???)

So at the bottom it sums it all up to as this:
Parts: $214.94
Labor: $74
Other: $17 (whatever that means)
Subtotal: $305.94
Sales Tax: $25.02
Total: $330.96

Next time I change my own oil, that's all I know! Heck, for $6 a quart I could have got gold speckles in my oil.

But hey, the bright side of it all is that they did NOT CHARGE me to clean and lube my chain! Guess they can't be all that bad.

But for $330 I would expect my bike to ride smoother than it did when I rolled in there.

That's all I'm sayin.

post #36 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Imaginifer

Quote:

Next time I change my own oil, that's all I know! Heck, for $6 a quart I could have got gold speckles in my oil.

But hey, the bright side of it all is that they did NOT CHARGE me to clean and lube my chain! Guess they can't be all that bad.

But for $330 I would expect my bike to ride smoother than it did when I rolled in there.

That's all I'm sayin.
Wow,I would have had to pay 6% tax on that tire here.You got a deal thereUnder oil change supplies $14 that's to get rid of the old oil and all.Environment you know<your kids will thank you>
looks like the $17 other is for the wheel weights

post #37 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

and they gave you a free quart of oil... my bike takes 3.87 liters... which is just shy of 4 quarts...

post #38 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You might want to check your oil level as 919's take almost 4 quarts of oil (3.8 with filter change).
The "supplies" and "other" charge was probably for a new valve stem and wheel weights.

You also need to consider the remote possibility that you have "bad" tire casing. Doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

Professional
post #39 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Watching Hairball bounce all over the showroom with steam coming out his ears: Priceless

That's all I'm sayin.
Fixed it

post #40 of 70 Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

I can't help but ask, why in the hell would you think "they might have replaced my dampers with junk."?

Does the dealership have a personal vendetta against you? No reputible dealer would even consider such a thing, I'm sorry but it's a totally ridiculous statement. Unless of course you're totally paranoid and think everyone's out to get you, or you go around pissing off everyone you deal with so badly that they decide to f**k you over in retribution.

Just sayin...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode