What size bar end mirrors fit our stock 919 handle bars? - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By LDH

post #1 of 11 Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

What size bar end mirrors fit our stock 919 handle bars?

Looking to get some bar end mirrors from Amazon, looking to get something that make lane splitting easy, so I don't want anything too large. I was thinking something that's about 2" and tucks in and can go either up, down or out.

What I'm seeing is 3/4" with 4" total added to each side. That makes the bike 8" wider!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GTKAHQ...d_i=B002GTKAHQ

I'm looking for one that will tuck back in or at least allow for a some adjustments there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Left of Centre

post #3 of 11 Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

So if you clip someone's SUV mirror with those, they don't flex, they just break off?

I was looking at some that had a break away joint where if you hit something, it doesn't break.

If you look at these, they don't stick out too far, I'm really concerned about lane splitting. Sometimes those lanes can be very narrow: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mot...25700308&psc=1

[EDIT] here's the fold away version of the round ones: https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Mirr...1KBWM5HG73RK42

Problem is they add some 10" to the width of the bike.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 PM
Left of Centre

They aren't so rigid that they snap, they pivot - there are two places where they have shafts secured by Allen head screws fastened laterally on to the shaft, so the shafts will turn under pressure.

There are two ways to assemble them - I have mine with the shaft coming up vertically, like one of the ebay illustrations, not coming out the end the bar mount, so the overall width is reduced.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Tirone

FWIW, the cheapo ones at CycleGear fit fine until I got tired of them. They fold, and do add a bit to the width of the bike, but I could still split without problems.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by draco880 View Post
FWIW, the cheapo ones at CycleGear fit fine until I got tired of them. They fold, and do add a bit to the width of the bike, but I could still split without problems.
It's kind of a balance, you need them wide to be effective, but too wide and you're making it harder to split lanes.

I also have to think about how far forward I'd like them to be.

Those oblong ones look interesting because I had the 2" convex spot mirrors on the outside of my other bike's mirrors and they REALLY worked well for spotting cars zipping into the blind spots. I'm thinking more forward with convex mirrors might be the best for those blind spots.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Honda's have that stupid dogleg inside the adapter which makes an uneven mounting surface. Several years back I snipped a flat washer in half to fill that void from the dogleg and fitted up a pair of custom grooved bar ends we make to fit CRG mirrors.

Alternatively I seem to recall that the OEM 919 bar ends were fairly long and those could likely be machined down in a similar fashion to 7/8" as our custom bar ends to fit the CRG mirrors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arrow1.jpg (95.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg arrow2.jpg (85.8 KB, 10 views)
mcromo44 and KarlJay like this.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 11:47 AM
The Instigator

Anyone using a set on Renthals? They have a 14mm id

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #9 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Tesserarius

A buzzard took out the left mirror on my Streetfighter. I never did like those mirrors anyway. I replaced both mirrors with CRGs. I took the mirror mounts from the bars, and put the top on bottom, and vice versa. Looks much cleaner than having that big ol threaded receptacle sticking up. The bar end mirrors widen your wing span by 8 inches, as was stated earlier. But they fold up easily.

I bought a set of inserts that would work with either steel or aluminum, for CRGs that I put on the 848. I can't remember who made them. They weren't cheap. But they look and work great.

post #10 of 11 Old 02-17-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
A buzzard took out the left mirror on my Streetfighter. I never did like those mirrors anyway. I replaced both mirrors with CRGs. I took the mirror mounts from the bars, and put the top on bottom, and vice versa. Looks much cleaner than having that big ol threaded receptacle sticking up. The bar end mirrors widen your wing span by 8 inches, as was stated earlier. But they fold up easily.

I bought a set of inserts that would work with either steel or aluminum, for CRGs that I put on the 848. I can't remember who made them. They weren't cheap. But they look and work great.
That 8" is what scares me, I see some are more than 10".

These don't seem to have that problem and are more forward:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Black-Motorcy...1754679&chn=ps

Given that they are a bit wider, one of those round dot convex mirrors should fit nicely on the edge. I did that before and it really make it easy to spot cars in the blind spots.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Tesserarius

I'm back home, and looked at my bar ends. They're: Motovation. Pretty sure the fit either size inside diameter. The part that slides into your handlebar is brass with an O ring. They are expensive, but like I said they are top quality. Cheap is cheap in the long run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode