What did I do??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Dewbie

What did I do???

OK, so I did valve clearances, replaced plugs, and changed coolant the other day and I've had it running a couple short times since then to warm up and get coolant flowing. This morning I went to go for a ride and she wouldn't start, just an awful clicking sound (see link to audio clip). After attempting to start it won't even go through the gauge routine unless I let it sit for a few minutes; then I can get the gauge sweep and the clicking again when trying to start.

So... dead battery right? My multimeter is showing me 18v, which doesn't make any sense (on a 12v battery). But regardless of its accuracy, is this just coincidence? Did I do something when replacing the plugs that could have drained the battery? Why has it started it twice since then? The bike has over 40k miles and as far as I know it's the original battery so it certainly could just naturally be due for a change, right? But the timing seems fishy.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B83...it?usp=sharing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM
RIDE RED

I've been told sometimes a battery will show voltage but have nothing under a load, maybe put your meter on it and hit start see what happens?

post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Dewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPYDER View Post
I've been told sometimes a battery will show voltage but have nothing under a load, maybe put your meter on it and hit start see what happens?
Yeah, after attempting to start the meter drops down to next to nothing and then shows a charge building back up after a little while. I think I'll order a new battery anyway, but just wondering if I should check anything else that may be messed up.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Le So Cal Troll

just coincidence, nothing more than a dead battery, or loose battery terminal connection.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

So you need a good volt meter to make any meaningful checks. And you should check out both the starting and (especially) the charging voltages even after you buy a new battery.
You should also have a battery tender so you can maintain a decent state of charge.
Any original battery in a 919 is too old to be reliable.
Mark

post #6 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Dewbie

Just confirmed that it is not the OEM battery, but it is a made-in-china Power Source battery. I replaced the 9v in my voltmeter and it seems to work just fine now. The bike battery reads 12.8v until I turn the key to on, then it drops to ~9.8v.

I might go with a Battery Tender lithium (BTL14A240C) for replacement; sepbatteries.com has them for $109.99 with free shipping. Can't find a whole lot of info on them, but the Amazon reviews are decent ($130+ there) and I kinda like the dual terminals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode