What causes brake squeal, and what's the best solution? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

What causes brake squeal, and what's the best solution?

I did the front brakes a while back and I noticed two things. One rotor has two colors on it as if one area isn't making the same contact. The other is squealing.

I used to use Disk Brake Quiet, but it didn't come with any and they want you to buy a large tube of it. I only need a small amount.

So here's the what I'm concerned about: Several shops said to use the caliper grease to rid the noise. As I understand it, the caliper grease is just to lube the parts that slide when you brake, I never thought that would matter in making noise. On our fronts, we just have that screw in peg that the pad float on at the very top of the pads. I don't see how that would make a difference.

The Permatex disk brake quiet also seems like it just absorbs the vibration, it's just a gel that sits on the outside.

So what causes it and what's the best way to get rid of it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-29-2019, 01:39 AM
Left of Centre

No-one else is helping out, so I'll put in my 2c. The stock calipers are known for this - if you searched you'd find lots of mentions. No-one seems to have a good handle on it. When I was running stock brakes, it would appear, stay for a while, then disappear. Conventional wisdom used to be that if you had this problem, you scored a vertical groove or two in the face of the pad to change the friction dynamic, but some pads have that already.

I'm not familiar with caliper grease, but I have heard of guys putting dab of something on the back of the pad, to change the potential for vibration.

Good luck!

post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Centurion

Garage
i was also plagued by the front squeal for a while... until somebody here sold me their lightly used rotors, I put on new pads and boom... no more squeal...

post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2019, 06:49 PM
Tesserarius

I've heard, or maybe read a long time ago that KTM recommends blasting out your brakes with a garden hose, every so often. I've done that for years. No problems. Won't cost anything to try.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quick update, I did the new brake pads a few months ago. They didn't come with that single use tube of "disk brake quiet" like cars used to.

I bought a can of brake parts cleaner, so I'm thinking I clean them with purple power, then with brake parts cleaners and make those bobbins move (I'm sure they're stuck). Then maybe scuff the surface of the disk and finally lube the sliding parts.

If that doesn't work, I'll buy the goop stuff and see if that fixes it. Seems the goop stuff is just going to kill the sound without actually fixing anything.

It's clearly some kind of vibration that wasn't there before these new pad were installed. Seems that they have fully seated by now, so maybe there's some glaze on the disk (I actually don't know what glaze is on a disk).

I'd hate to have to buy new disks, they aren't cheap.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2019, 04:03 AM
919 Rider

You could try scrubbing the crap out of your disks.
Use a green scotch Brite pad and do it till your arm hurts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode