What am I dealing with? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 02-29-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Dead Wrong

Garage
What am I dealing with?

I cant seem to get rid of a problem and before I strip the bike down please help me out.

Main issue is that the engine turns off on the move, it stutters for a second then turns off completely, I have had this issue a month ago as well, when I checked the battery connections were loose and after tightening the bike worked just fine for about another 2 weeks. Today on my way to work, at around 30mph the engine just cut off, F1 came on.

It starts back up easy enough. Normally F1 would go away after the restart but this time it was on all the way to the work and the bike worked fine as well.

F1 only lights up once so I am guessing it is the "MAP SENSOR", anyone knows the part number for a late model bird? Could it be battery related issue? or could it be simple oxidation in one of the sockets or cables? If so where should I look?

Can you think of anything else to check for?

It was serviced a month ago, new oil, filters etc.

Dead wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-29-2016, 05:52 AM
Brain stolen again?

I swear I had the same problem with my ZX10r. I attributed it to driving past an Indian grave sight because it always seemed to happen there!

Later on down the line I concluded it was the fuel pump and changed it out. Never had the problem again.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #3 of 7 Old 02-29-2016, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Dead Wrong

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I swear I had the same problem with my ZX10r. I attributed it to driving past an Indian grave sight because it always seemed to happen there!

Later on down the line I concluded it was the fuel pump and changed it out. Never had the problem again.

jesus Christ man, out of all things fuel pump never came into my mind. How could I possibly test it to see if it is the main issue?

Dead wrong

post #4 of 7 Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effe View Post
jesus Christ man, out of all things fuel pump never came into my mind. How could I possibly test it to see if it is the main issue?
I don't know about testing it. I simply recognized fuel starvation as well as the motor just stalling out. But it was very bizarre that the motor just stalled out in the same freakin' place all the time! I'm serious, it is Indian Country!
The bike started to sputter and cough as the RPM rose rapidly though. And that is when I concluded that the fuel pump was giving out.

I wished I could be of more help. Perhaps Rob could chime in here and shed some light.

Mathew Quigley
post #5 of 7 Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Brain stolen again?

I did neglect to say that I checked out all of my PCIII connections completely before I concluded it was the fuel pump.

Mathew Quigley
post #6 of 7 Old 02-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
One blink from the FI light is MAP sensor, specifically an electrical fault I believe (as opposed to two blinks for a vacuum issue, as far as the ECM can tell). I assume you checked that it was plugged in snugly and there's no visible wiring damage.

I was having a similar issue-- stalled out on me on two separate rides, but in my case the bike never threw an FI light and wouldn't restart immediately.

Have you looked at the spark plugs? If the MAP sensor fails or the ECM can't read it for whatever reason, it will allow the bike to keep running but default to a richer fueling map, which *might* be rich enough to make it just stall out.

Fine, I'm adding a signature, leave me alone!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Dead Wrong

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I did neglect to say that I checked out all of my PCIII connections completely before I concluded it was the fuel pump.
Well... removed the gas tank today, first time since I got the bike. it was clean, no leaks, to be honest I wasnt expecting everything to be that clean. All the bolt nuts had the original guarantee paint mark on it.

Checked the connections to the MAP sensor and everything around it, especially around the TPS as well, spotless. Bike is doing about 110miles before the reserve light and the stuttering happens when the gas is about that level so these issues may not related to the sensor at all. Bike is running rich, I can smell slight raw gas once in a while which makes derpydogs below comment possible.

Changed the exhaust recently I know that will have some impact on the consumption but cant be that bad even with a little aggressive riding. Maybe a PCIII will help? Very unsure about that.
Someone suggested the fuel pump maybe acting or there could be some dirt in the tank. I used some tank cleaner fuel additives but I was very skeptical about that as well.

Bike ran fine home but I am on the edge, I have a long trip planned for March and I need her to run flawless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydog View Post
One blink from the FI light is MAP sensor, specifically an electrical fault I believe (as opposed to two blinks for a vacuum issue, as far as the ECM can tell). I assume you checked that it was plugged in snugly and there's no visible wiring damage.

I was having a similar issue-- stalled out on me on two separate rides, but in my case the bike never threw an FI light and wouldn't restart immediately.

Have you looked at the spark plugs? If the MAP sensor fails or the ECM can't read it for whatever reason, it will allow the bike to keep running but default to a richer fueling map, which *might* be rich enough to make it just stall out.

Dead wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode