Well, seemed like a good idea - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Well, seemed like a good idea

Doesn't feel stable enough on any of my floor jacks, think I'll try a dedicated scissor jack that I can attach to the plate. Haven't given up yet.
Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 AM
TEXAN

Yeah, keep tinkering, you'll get it!

post #3 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Cornicen

I think the reason why it doesn't feel stable is because the bracket is not mounted securely to the bike... I know you do not want it permanently mounted so maybe welding up a bracket so that it uses the steel pegs that would be used to hold the springs on factory center stand.. I'm on mobile phone otherwise I'd upload a picture of what I'm talkin about

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919

post #4 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 12:18 PM
The Cripple

Undercover nailed part of it. the other part is that area where you are trying to raise the 919 is not the actual balance point for the bike.

post #5 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

why not just make it into a centerstand?

post #6 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I think he wanted to lift the entire bike using a jack stand?

post #7 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
I think the reason why it doesn't feel stable is because the bracket is not mounted securely to the bike... I know you do not want it permanently mounted so maybe welding up a bracket so that it uses the steel pegs that would be used to hold the springs on factory center stand.. I'm on mobile phone otherwise I'd upload a picture of what I'm talkin about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Undercover nailed part of it. the other part is that area where you are trying to raise the 919 is not the actual balance point for the bike.
Not tying to lift it completely off the ground, just the rear wheel. I have 3 floor jacks and all have to much play in the platform, which when your lifting a car is not a problem. I have a pop up stand but wanted something different for when I service the swingarm.
I had tossed this one together but it's currently holding up the engine in my Civic.

It blew a head gasket at 62K miles, that's another story. I'll try that stand when I done with that project.

Rich

post #8 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM
The Cripple

Ah ok, makes sense Richjura. good luck!

post #9 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

That's a good start. All you need to do is press the lapels and you will have a good secure stand that will come close to completely supporting the bike.

The illustration is a sample of a typical race stand I have made many times. If you want to duplicate it all you need is a piece of tubing or pipe that will take what you have already made and get the rear wheel anywhere from 1" off the ground to however high you want it to be. The lift lever is more pipe that when resting on the ground will angle the plates between 5 to 12 degrees back. Too much further back and the bike will be difficult to take off the stand, and too little will be prone to accidentally rolling it off the stand.

A few minor points:
-- Add triangular lateral plates to the interior of the fork to prevent a knock folding them sideways.
-- If you want it to be impossible to roll off the stand drill a hole in the base of the fork assembly large enough to insert the hook of a tie down and tie the stand between that and a frame member in front of the engine. If you intend to raise the front with a jack leave the tie down slightly loose until the front is at the height you want, then cinch it down.
-- The bar holding the stand to the center stand lugs should be as close a fit as possible (commensurate with ease of insertion) to prevent rocking.

Due to the width of the pipe resting on the ground this sort of stand is very stable, and I have done complete suspension removals without worrying about falling over.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quickee prop stand.jpg (18.1 KB, 28 views)

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #10 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 03:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've got an older oxford rearstand I don't need any more.

make me an offer?

post #11 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The illustration is a sample of a typical race stand I have made many times. If you want to duplicate it all you need is a piece of tubing or pipe that will take what you have already made and get the rear wheel anywhere from 1" off the ground to however high you want it to be. The lift lever is more pipe that when resting on the ground will angle the plates between 5 to 12 degrees back. Too much further back and the bike will be difficult to take off the stand, and too little will be prone to accidentally rolling it off the stand.

A few minor points:
-- Add triangular lateral plates to the interior of the fork to prevent a knock folding them sideways.
-- If you want it to be impossible to roll off the stand drill a hole in the base of the fork assembly large enough to insert the hook of a tie down and tie the stand between that and a frame member in front of the engine. If you intend to raise the front with a jack leave the tie down slightly loose until the front is at the height you want, then cinch it down.
-- The bar holding the stand to the center stand lugs should be as close a fit as possible (commensurate with ease of insertion) to prevent rocking.

Due to the width of the pipe resting on the ground this sort of stand is very stable, and I have done complete suspension removals without worrying about falling over.

Rob
So Rob you're saying to permanently attach my part to a round piece of pipe at an angle so as to rotate it with the handle and lift the bike correct? My contraption is .200 plate if you think it needs gussets on the inside I'll add them. The bar is cold rolled and if memory serves me well ( I doubt it ) is about a 1/16th under the holes in the frame.

Thanks
Rich

post #12 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I've got an older oxford rearstand I don't need any more.

make me an offer?
Thanks for the offer but I'm looking for something that will allow me to service the swingarm.

Rich

post #13 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead
+1^ OEM center stand

post #14 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
+1^ OEM center stand
-1!!! PHOBMAN STAND!

post #15 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jura View Post

Doesn't feel stable enough on any of my floor jacks, think I'll try a dedicated scissor jack that I can attach to the plate. Haven't given up yet.
Rich
Just bolt this center stand rig of yours to the middle of a 3 foot 2x6. Put a cinder block under the right end of the 2x6 and your floor jack under the left and you're done. You can also steady the bike with a tether to the ceiling. I use cheap Harbor Freight "come-along" cable hoists hooked to a rafter.
post #16 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jura View Post
So Rob you're saying to permanently attach my part to a round piece of pipe at an angle so as to rotate it with the handle and lift the bike correct?
Yes. The connection cannot be a single line -- there are significant bending loads when raising and lowering the bike. That load must be spread out with gussets between the existing fork and the pipe.
Quote:
My contraption is .200 plate if you think it needs gussets on the inside I'll add them. The bar is cold rolled and if memory serves me well ( I doubt it ) is about a 1/16th under the holes in the frame.
CRS is a good choice, and 1.5 mm clearance is acceptable. There are ways to bring it closer, but let's just get ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
+1^ OEM center stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
-1!!! PHOBMAN STAND!
Both good points, but there is a fabricator's need to build something that could be bought -- and not always saving money -- and definitely not saving time. There is, however, a larger consideration than the project du jour -- learning. Doing for yourself, making mistakes, doing better next time, and looking at the fruits of your labors and knowing that there is nothing on this planet like it. It's a plus if it works as designed, but you often learn more from mistakes than from successes.

Essentially it is a small example of how to live a good life.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #17 of 26 Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:

Both good points, but there is a fabricator's need to build something that could be bought -- and not always saving money -- and definitely not saving time. There is, however, a larger consideration than the project du jour -- learning. Doing for yourself, making mistakes, doing better next time, and looking at the fruits of your labors and knowing that there is nothing on this planet like it. It's a plus if it works as designed, but you often learn more from mistakes than from successes.

Rob
Rob
That's it exactly, sometimes I think of it as male needlepoint. I put it on the shelf right now till I get my Civic back together.

Rich

post #18 of 26 Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Yes. The connection cannot be a single line -- there are significant bending loads when raising and lowering the bike. That load must be spread out with gussets between the existing fork and the pipe.CRS is a good choice, and 1.5 mm clearance is acceptable. There are ways to bring it closer, but let's just get ridiculous!

Rob
+1. I love trying my hand at new things, and usually get more satisfaction out of the learning process than shelling out cash. Fabrication of car/bike parts is very new to me, and I'm not at all good at it yet. Never done any metalwork other than hacksaw, but I have recently developed a strong urge to buy a welder at Harbor Freight, and start welding crap together. Only problem is I have no experience and no specific projects in mind at the moment

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #19 of 26 Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 PM
The Cripple

While I would love to start fabricating shit myself, I don't have the room, the $$ to buy the tools, or even the time (started grad school). So that's on hold until I wrap up school (2 years) and hopefully find a decent job.

post #20 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

I'm going minimalist. I find myself nowadays getting rid of tools, raw materials even furniture and shelving that I just don't need anymore. Hell I just put 20 years worth of video game consoles on ebay and craigslist just to get them out of my garage. I have too much shit as it is and can't fathom the need to make more of it LOL

post #21 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I'm going minimalist. I find myself nowadays getting rid of tools, raw materials even furniture and shelving that I just don't need anymore. Hell I just put 20 years worth of video game consoles on ebay and craigslist just to get them out of my garage. I have too much shit as it is and can't fathom the need to make more of it LOL
+1

The peace of mind from a clean house, workspace, office, etc. more than outweighs the cost associated with having to pay a little extra to have things done that you don't have the time, tools or desire to do yourself.

That's why I don't change the oil in my car anymore.

$10 in supplies, 30 minutes of jacking it up, getting dirty, having to find a place to store/dump the oil and then the associate shower afterward. Or... $19 at the dealer while I have a coffee, read the news, they record it in the maintenance logs for me and then give it a quick wash.

Worth the $9.

post #22 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 PM
What?

Oh, and +1 that Harbor Freight sucks, but.... I got this stand for $25 on sale, and it's worked perfectly on every bike with a standard swingarm I've used it on for lubing the chain and cleaning the back rim. Super solid, good height. Stable.

Harbor Freight - Swingarm Stand

Do NOT get this one: Harbor Freight - Swingarm Stand - Low Profile - CRAP

post #23 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002-919 View Post
Oh, and +1 that Harbor Freight sucks, but.... I got this stand for $25 on sale, and it's worked perfectly on every bike with a standard swingarm I've used it on for lubing the chain and cleaning the back rim. Super solid, good height. Stable.

Harbor Freight - Swingarm Stand

Do NOT get this one: Harbor Freight - Swingarm Stand - Low Profile - CRAP
^^ yes, I have the CRAP one. They didn't have the other one when I bought this one.

I like how they change the name to "low profile" to keep selling the excess stock, .

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #24 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Compared to most of the horror stories I have heard I've been really lucky with Harbor Freight as I have bought 3 things from them my entire life:

1. Safety wire pliers from over a decade ago that I still use today

2. A pneumatic rivet gun which while used infrequently does do exactly what it is supposed to do when I do need it

3. A bead blasting cabinet. Not the best design, but for a 1/3 the price of any comparable brand I guess I can't really complain as it has done an excellent job for brake rotors and various small parts as required.

post #25 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Wow, look at that! That bead blasting didn't even TOUCH your desk.

NICE!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #26 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Me haz skillz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode