Weird feeling when accelerating - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 06-30-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Weird feeling when accelerating

Hello All,

I feel a subtle clunk when I accelerate, when in gear or when I blip the throttle in neutral.

The clunk feels as if the front sprocket is loose on the shaft that it's on. I feel as if when I accelerate I feel it move a bit and then it catches if that makes sense.

Even when in neutral I feel the subtle clunk as well when I blip the throttle...

I'm just wondering if this sounds familiar and if it's something i should worry about...

Thanks,
sSmacKK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 02:41 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

does it make a noise? if so, a video would be just dandy if not too much to ask for

post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Check to see if your chain is loose.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 12 Old 07-15-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
I think it was the chain because it greatly reduced this behaviour...
I'll keep an ear to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Check to see if your chain is loose.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Definitely check the chain and/or your sprockets... Had a similar experience and it was a worn rear sprocket.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Yup. It's what it is. I also noticed a very very small play in the rear sprocket and the teeth are starting to get quite pointy too.

None the less I ordered the 17/44 kit from LDH, because I don't know how long and how well the chain/sprockets have been taken care of so I figured i'd upgrade and i'll keep track and good maintenance while I own the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy8 View Post
Definitely check the chain and/or your sprockets... Had a similar experience and it was a worn rear sprocket.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Tesserarius

You'll like the new chain and sprockets. Money well spent. The bike will be smoother and quieter.

I like that blue. I wish the US would have gotten that color.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Yup I can't wait.

Yes, i thought I'd never like any colour as much as I liked the red but... This blue looks great... Especially on a nice bright day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
You'll like the new chain and sprockets. Money well spent. The bike will be smoother and quieter.

I like that blue. I wish the US would have gotten that color.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-30-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Got the new chain and sprockets installed... It's feels like this is how it should've been from the factory.
Turns out that my rear wheel bearings are a bit lose. Also I think the rubber things inside the wheel that the rear sprocket sits on seems a bit loose. So I'm guess that + bushings makes the weird feeling.
But then again this isn't really a race bike so maybe my expectations of it being tight are a bit too high...

Now that the drive train + gearing had been solved time to move to the suspension :-D

post #10 of 12 Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Princeps Prior

Nice work. Glad you narrowed it down. For what it's worth. I had to replace my rear wheel bearings and those rubber cush drive pieces on my 919. They were completely shot at roughly 25K. I could feel the bearings under hard acceleration and upon braking. It was not a good feeling. Also the sprocket carrier sat loosely in place with the old rubber bushings. Since I replaced them it doesn't budge by hand. If anything I would replace those bearings asap if you suspect them being worn just to be safe for now if you are able to.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-31-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely change both bearings and the cush drive pieces...

It seems quite the pattern that the rear bearings on this bike wear out fast. I'm wondering if its because of the stock gearing which promotes higher torque and therefore higher strain on the rear wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Nice work. Glad you narrowed it down. For what it's worth. I had to replace my rear wheel bearings and those rubber cush drive pieces on my 919. They were completely shot at roughly 25K. I could feel the bearings under hard acceleration and upon braking. It was not a good feeling. Also the sprocket carrier sat loosely in place with the old rubber bushings. Since I replaced them it doesn't budge by hand. If anything I would replace those bearings asap if you suspect them being worn just to be safe for now if you are able to.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-12-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
A quick update. Just had my rear bearings and cush drive replaced...and it was definitely the issue it's all smooth as butter and with the new 17/44 gearing and chain bine runs like a dream

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode