Vibration and noise from tail light and radiator grill - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Vibration and noise from tail light and radiator grill

Hello, I am new here. Have had a 2006 919 for a couple of years now and I think am going to keep it longer. A thing that has been bothering me these days is vibration noise at about 2000 RPM. I did some inspection with the throttle set to a certain level and pressing down on things and figured that the noise was from the tail light in the back and the radiator grill in the front.

I took off the tail light and the noise goes away - but the problem is I am not really sure how to install the gasket around the tail light any more - I am guessing fitting the gasket properly is going to buffer the vibration and make the noise go away. I do have the service manual but I am guessing getting a gasket around the tail light is too low level a detail to describe, and maybe anybody tinkering should know how to do it - sadly I don't. Could someone tell me the technique in doing it? Do you glue it on around the tail light before installing it into the recess?

I just noticed here: 2006 Honda CB900F AC RADIATOR | Babbitts Honda Parts House that the radiator grill is supposed to be screwed on - I seem to be missing the screws - so that probably explains the noise from the front.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

A trick I use for any o-ring replacement is to run a little bead of grease (I usually use white lithium) in the groove where the o-ring goes. Then place the o-ring into the grease. This will hold it into place and also keep the o-ring from drying out.

Good luck.

Arte et Marte
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 PM
The Cripple

Welcome to the forum!

Are you in Vancouver, Wa? If you are, then I can help if you like. If you're in Canada, well not much we can do for you... KIDDING! Either way, you've come to the right place!

post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Tesserarius

post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM
CB900

I had the rear tail light vibration, it was the mounting bolt on the gear shift side of the tail light. The radiator grill, I'd replace it with a better one that stops stones hitting it.

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Are you in Vancouver, Wa? If you are, then I can help if you like. If you're in Canada, well not much we can do for you... KIDDING! Either way, you've come to the right place!
Thanks Pvster

post #7 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
While you are at it , tighten the seat lock/latch bolts.
Will do. I am thinking of replacing the rubber bushes for the bolts that attach the rear cowl to the frame too.

post #8 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog32 View Post
I had the rear tail light vibration, it was the mounting bolt on the gear shift side of the tail light. The radiator grill, I'd replace it with a better one that stops stones hitting it.
Will check that too. The radiator grill is okay - its just missing the screws but still stays on.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Aquilifer

Check on the underside of the tail for the plastic seat pan as well. There are 2 bolts under there that attach it to the frame work and if they start to loosen up the whole assembly will make some vibration noises (I have found out the hard way).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode