Vibrating Clutch Handle... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 08-30-2008, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Angry Vibrating Clutch Handle...

I have noticed that when my 919 is on and parked, there is a slight vibration that runs through my handle bars. It causes the clutch handle to vibrate and make noise. Is there a way to adjust or tighten it so that it will not move around and vibrate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncerna View Post
I have noticed that when my 919 is on and parked, there is a slight vibration that runs through my handle bars. It causes the clutch handle to vibrate and make noise. Is there a way to adjust or tighten it so that it will not move around and vibrate?
Not really, Just rest your hand on it.
You can try a light duty wave spring between the lever & perch.
http://www.smalley.com/wave_springs/...nformation.asp

post #3 of 38 Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Not really, Just rest your hand on it.
You can try a light duty wave spring between the lever & perch.
http://www.smalley.com/wave_springs/...nformation.asp

or felt,like the stuff for the batt posts from auto zone.(trimming needed.)

post #4 of 38 Old 09-04-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, guys for the tips. I will try them out and let you know if they work.

post #5 of 38 Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Discen

Is there any new ideas for this now? Or are these two ways the best way to go? The first time I heard the rattle I got really worried, but after I figured out what it was I was alright. '07 919 - 199 miles

post #6 of 38 Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM
hairball919

My vibration irritates the sh*t out of me too! I found that it can be stopped (pretty much) but backing off the adjuster until it's tighter. But this method sucks because I loosen mine up by choice so it's easier to reach with 2 fingers. I never really figured out WHY they vibrate like that! Seems Honda engineers were on crack when they designed the 919's cranshafts (the biggest reason for vibration that I've known of over the years). Cranks are usually balanced via drilling holes to counter the weight. So rather than add weights like a wheel, they save weight by removal. They also often some sort of vibration damper on the them like weights or something. But if they are poorly designed or you hit the bong while you're designing them, us 919 owners are gonna be pissed!

We no likee handlebar & clutchee handle shakee!

Okay, I'm ready for the "you're an idiot, hairball" or "who the f*ck told you all this?" or "you're on drugs" rebuttal remarks. I'm only speaking from years of experience as an auto mechanic, NOT because I'm some technical scientific engineering professor.

By the way, all this opinion of mine is only an educated guess. The shake & vibration in our 919 handlebars might very well be caused by something else I'm not aware of. But whatever is causing it: HEY HONDA, FIX THIS ISSUE!

post #7 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 AM
hairball919

Angry Back onto the handlebar vibration issue...

WHY does it seem like my vibration gets worse and worse as I log more miles on my bike??? Of course it vibrates really bad at idle if I take my hand off the bars. But it also vibrates so bad at 60 and 70 in 5th or 6th that after awhile my fingers get numb!!!

WTF is up with all the vibration? Is there a cure? Different handlebars? I keep wondering if there are some kind of rubber mounting shims or something that can be shoved between the bar and the mounts.

The vibration is outrageous. I guess this is why some bike makers brag about their engine's additional crankshaft balancers to help eliminate vibration.

It wouldn't be so bad if it ONLY vibrated at idler or the first few gears, but when it vibrates in the top gears at cruising speeds to the point of numbing my hands and fingers, something needs to be done about it!

Suggestions anyone?

post #8 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
My vibration irritates the sh*t out of me too! I found that it can be stopped (pretty much) but backing off the adjuster until it's tighter. But this method sucks because I loosen mine up by choice so it's easier to reach with 2 fingers. I never really figured out WHY they vibrate like that! Seems Honda engineers were on crack when they designed the 919's cranshafts (the biggest reason for vibration that I've known of over the years). Cranks are usually balanced via drilling holes to counter the weight. So rather than add weights like a wheel, they save weight by removal. They also often some sort of vibration damper on the them like weights or something. But if they are poorly designed or you hit the bong while you're designing them, us 919 owners are gonna be pissed!

We no likee handlebar & clutchee handle shakee!

Okay, I'm ready for the "you're an idiot, hairball" or "who the f*ck told you all this?" or "you're on drugs" rebuttal remarks. I'm only speaking from years of experience as an auto mechanic, NOT because I'm some technical scientific engineering professor.

By the way, all this opinion of mine is only an educated guess. The shake & vibration in our 919 handlebars might very well be caused by something else I'm not aware of. But whatever is causing it: HEY HONDA, FIX THIS ISSUE!
Yeah, Honda's probably going to put millions into R&D on a discontinued model and come out with a recall campaign to retrofit updated counterbalanced driveshafts to every 919 ever sold.

Of course my 9'er is quite smooth, go take a ride on a Harley then hop back on your 919, it'll feel like butter.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #9 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Yeah, Honda's probably going to put millions into R&D on a discontinued model and come out with a recall campaign to retrofit updated counterbalanced driveshafts to every 919 ever sold.

Of course my 9'er is quite smooth, go take a ride on a Harley then hop back on your 919, it'll feel like butter.

post #10 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

For you guys who are experiencing what you consider to be abnormal vibration, do yourself a favor. Inspect your exhaust hanger mount under the motor. You might find the hanger has a crack in it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
For you guys who are experiencing what you consider to be abnormal vibration, do yourself a favor. Inspect your exhaust hanger mount under the motor. You might find the hanger has a crack in it.
And yes I've seen stuff like that work.....weird how vibrations travel around a bike and end up doing strange things in different places.

In a totally sort of unrelated incident....Once when ordering my third automatic tranny shift cable for a vintage GTO because it kept siezing up...the old timer parts guy said....hey, have you had the engine out lately? I said....yeah I have....he said....Your engine ground cable is not on properly and when you turn the headlights on it's sending the juice through your cable and melting the lining..... he was right.
JohnnyB

post #12 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
In a totally sort of unrelated incident....Once when ordering my third automatic tranny shift cable for a vintage GTO because it kept siezing up...the old timer parts guy said....hey, have you had the engine out lately? I said....yeah I have....he said....Your engine ground cable is not on properly and when you turn the headlights on it's sending the juice through your cable and melting the lining..... he was right.
JohnnyB
Nothing like experience to solve the things that would normally drive us nutz!

Back on topic... Mine vibrates also, but I have no bar end weights and it only does this if I remove my hand from the bar. Once I put my hand back on, I am absorbing the vibration and the lever stops. Will I devote time into it... ??? No, this post is the most time I've devoted to it!!!

post #13 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
And yes I've seen stuff like that work.....weird how vibrations travel around a bike and end up doing strange things in different places.

JohnnyB
I had something similar when I was married to Zack's mom. Sometimes my car would jerk hard to the right and numerous times almost put me into the ditch or a tree. I had it checked out and they said it was because I was miserable and kept unconsciously attempting to suicide

post #14 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
I had something similar when I was married to Zack's mom. Sometimes my car would jerk hard to the right and numerous times almost put me into the ditch or a tree. I had it checked out and they said it was because I was miserable and kept unconsciously attempting to suicide
Was she in the car? If it's a jerk to the right with her in the car, and you sight just the right angle on said tree, it wouldn't be suicide.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #15 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Was she in the car? If it's a jerk to the right with her in the car, and you sight just the right angle on said tree, it wouldn't be suicide.
I don't really remember I tend to block traumatic memories

post #16 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
hairball919

The parts guy at the local dealer where the AMA-sanctioned ride was today said there is an instant cure for bar vibration: bar end weights! He said the shove in the end, then you tighten a screw to expand and lock them in.

Anyone know if these really work? The parts dude said they are a huge help because they change the "harmonics" of the handlebar vibration.

They do make sense in a way, but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried them. So far, it doesn't sound like it.

post #17 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
The parts guy at the local dealer where the AMA-sanctioned ride was today said there is an instant cure for bar vibration: bar end weights! He said the shove in the end, then you tighten a screw to expand and lock them in.

Anyone know if these really work? The parts dude said they are a huge help because they change the "harmonics" of the handlebar vibration.

They do make sense in a way, but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried them. So far, it doesn't sound like it.
Your bike has them installed from the factory, but since most of us change the bars they are usually not replaced with them.

post #18 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

yI noticed if I twist the throttle harder I don't notice the lever vibrating.

Cause I am concentrated on not falling off

post #19 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
hairball919

Quote:
yI noticed if I twist the throttle harder I don't notice the lever vibrating.

Cause I am concentrated on not falling off
Why thank you so very miuch! I'm so glad you are such a great big help!

Maybe THAT is my problem... I don't twist the throttle enough...

post #20 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Your bike has them installed from the factory, but since most of us change the bars they are usually not replaced with them.
My bars are stock, so I guess you just saved me some cash flow! I better check, maybe they "forgot" to put them in!

post #21 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Coulda been her ears hitting the steering wheel.

post #22 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Your bike has them (bar end weights) installed from the factory...
I have the factory bar with the weights and the vibration is still a problem.

As stated it is only at idle and only if my hand is not on the bar. There is most definitely a harmonic in play here; vibration stops with very light finger pressure on the bar.

I like the wave washer solution and have been thinking of doing something like it.... like felt, or a rubber O-ring, etc.

post #23 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
hairball919

RUBBER! THAT is the magic word I've been looking for! I keep thinking about putting some rubber "spacers" or "pads" in my bar mounts. I think it will keep the same steering response but will aid in lowering the vibration. Mine was originally only a idle, but now is just as bad at freeway speeds.

I gotta find the magic remedy.

post #24 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Looking further into the wave washer, this may not be the best solution.... they are split and could gouge metal when rotating.

O-rings come in many diameters and thicknesses. You can even buy variety packs.

In the entrepreneurial spirit inspired by Ripper and xrmickey, I will research this and find out what parts are best at getting rid of this annoying clutch-lever vibration.
I'll be a gazilloinair in no time!

post #25 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

I once had one of my race bikes that had a harmonic in one of the foot pegs so bad that at certain rpms your foot would glide off the peg like ice. I pulled off the peg slider....stuffed in a couple of fishing weights, put the slider back on...problem cured.

Believe it or not...removing the bar end weight might work too, or adding more bar end weight....you just have to do something to shift the harmonic to a different place.
JohnnyB

post #26 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
....you just have to do something to shift the harmonic to a different place.
JohnnyB
True.
Hopefully that "different place" is outside the primary vibration frequencies of the bike, or even low multiples of the primaries (good luck?).

I'm hoping for a simple lever disassemble and reassemble with rubber washers or O-rings that will take up the slop in the OEM parts. There's a whole market out there for aftermarket levers already, and I'm not interested in spending that much money.

post #27 of 38 Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Legalize it please?

Quote:
I once had one of my race bikes that had a harmonic in one of the foot pegs so bad that at certain rpms your foot would glide off the peg like ice. I pulled off the peg slider....stuffed in a couple of fishing weights, put the slider back on...problem cured.

Believe it or not...removing the bar end weight might work too, or adding more bar end weight....you just have to do something to shift the harmonic to a different place.
JohnnyB
I needed to read this 5 yrs ago when i had my 77 sportster... If i "spaced out" for too long my right foot would slide right off the highway peg

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #28 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

My right hand used to go numb when on a long ride. When I switch to the 900RR Exhaust (which is less isolated) I feel more vibration, but my hand doesn't go numb anymore. Maybe just a diff vibe.

post #29 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

how did you mount the 9rr to the bottom of the engine? to the centerstand mount? if so that may be the reason for mor vibes. i cut off the mount from the 919 header welded it the the 900rr header and to mounted it to the stock location. no extra vibes, i have not gone on a long ride yet but so far no numbness

post #30 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
how did you mount the 9rr to the bottom of the engine? to the centerstand mount? if so that may be the reason for mor vibes. i cut off the mount from the 919 header welded it the the 900rr header and to mounted it to the stock location. no extra vibes, i have not gone on a long ride yet but so far no numbness
Yep, its hard mounted to the centerstand mount. One day I may try to do some sound isolation, but for now it doesnt really bother me. Just interesting...I would have thought it would have made the right hand going numb thing worse.

post #31 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

When Tadao Baba designed the CBR 900 in 1991 he was going for the most efficient and compact engine he could for racing, which precludes such frippery as counterbalancers. All inline four cylinder engines with single plane (180 degree) crankshafts have a theoretically perfect primary balance (every upward motion is balanced by a corresponding downward motion), but the secondary fore and aft forces are only partially balanced, producing a second harmonic at twice the natural frequency of the primaries. This is where the vibration comes from, and why it's such a high frequency. Knowing this, Honda (Baba) carefully designed the crankshaft with slightly offset balancing flyweights to help cancel some secondary forces without reinforcing the primaries. If you want to find out just how much an inline four can vibrate remove the counterbalancer drive (say from a ZX7 Kawi) and just start the motor -- it will shake so bad you'll shut it off immediately.

In point of fact the 919 motor is nearly the smoothest uncounterbalanced inline four I've ever experienced. The main culprit in this case is the backbone chassis which is posessed of a natural frequency which unfortunately corresponds to certain engine speeds. The easiest way to damp a chassis (short of redesigning it) is to introduce a damping medium such as binary structural polyurethane foam into the main spars. This is commonly done on cars either at the factory or by private shops to quiet the ride. It should be comparatively simple to drill a small hole somewhere in the backbone and flow it in, and would be interesting to feel the vibes after this was done.

As for the clutch lever, adding a lead weight to the hole in the ball end of the lever should change its natural frequency enough to stop the vibration. It has worked for me before.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #32 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Hey Rob,

GMR told me to tell you "HI".

Professional
post #33 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I just either don't have the vibration problems like you guys do or I just don't care that much about it. I figure anything spinning 1,200+ RPM will vibrate at least a little.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #34 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
no max no more

i figure if your clutch adjustment it to tight it wont vibrate....telling you its adjusted wrong....my bars dont seem bad eater on the highway....my ass kills me so much i couldent tell you how my hands are doing....i think its the seating position that causes most of the problems with the hands going numb...those bars need to be at least 1 inch higher...a level seat would be nice

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #35 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Tirone

carpal tunnel syndrome. People who rivet, ride bicycles, motorbikes, type, etc any sort of activity which numbs the wrists should look up effective methods of reducing it. Basically only a stretch of the wrists now and then will help reduce the risks.

post #36 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhornetowner View Post
carpal tunnel syndrome. People who rivet, ride bicycles, motorbikes, type, etc any sort of activity which numbs the wrists should look up effective methods of reducing it. Basically only a stretch of the wrists now and then will help reduce the risks.
Hey? I stretch my wrist Quite frequently.......

I think someone's been spying on my stretching exercise?

post #37 of 38 Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Guzzi Man

I am so sick of hearing how great Honda's build quality is.
I wouldn't have put the 919 in production if I couldn't engineer a proper clutch lever or balance a crankshaft properly. I guess a hooligan designed and thought vibration made the bike more raw! I wish I'd saved another year and bought a speedtriple.Fortunately I got a new 07 919 for $6K so at least it was cheap!

post #38 of 38 Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestib1 View Post
I am so sick of hearing how great Honda's build quality is.
I wouldn't have put the 919 in production if I couldn't engineer a proper clutch lever or balance a crankshaft properly. I guess a hooligan designed and thought vibration made the bike more raw! I wish I'd saved another year and bought a speedtriple.Fortunately I got a new 07 919 for $6K so at least it was cheap!
So you don't think Honda has great build quality huh? I'm curious what other motorcycles you have experience with, you mention a S3 but have you ever actually owned anything British? If you had, you probably would have a different opinion of build quality. As far as vibrations, jeez people, it's a motorycycle not a Cadillac! Once again, what are you comparing the 919 to? Ever ride a Harley, a BMW boxer, or any other twin for that matter? How about a 70's vintage inline 4 or a single cylinder thumper? The 919 is a Rolls Royce as far as smoothness compared to any of those. Sure my FJR is smoother, it should be, totally different class of motorcycle. For what it is Honda hit the target square on with the 919, but like any other motorcycle it's not for everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode