Very Small Leak at Oil Filter - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Immune

So I'm currently on a little road trip guys, pics to come. And I changed my oil and filter last night, the night before I left. I used Shell 10w-40 Full Synthetic and a K and N 204 filter. The old filter was on insanely tight from the PO! I stripped the nut on top trying to get it off and had to use a belt oil filter tool. Which still required a lot of force. I put a film of oil on the filter before I put it on and did it up to what I think is tight enough. Hand tight then 1/3 turn with the tool. However today I have been checking it for leaks and it has the tiniest little leak from the bottom of where the filter fits up. Not enough to drip but I can see it weeping over the duration of about 50-100kms. I doubt it's enough to cause problems and am checking the level regularly, but I never had a leak before and really don't want one now. I'm thinking of pinching it up more but will have to buy a tool because the nut in the top is a POS! But my main concern is over tightening. Any suggestions guys? And should I be worried about damaging something if I tighten it 1/8 more of a turn? I know the manual states the torque value but I don't own a torque wrench and am on the road. Thanks in advance! :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 02:11 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I don't think 1/8 turn more would hurt, I'd try it if I were on the road in your situation.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Pilus Posterior

It may just be a bit of residue oil from when you fitted it - wipe it clean and recheck later.

The filter (well Honda filter) only needs to be tightened firmly with your hands to be leak free - ensure it is clean and hand tighten - if it moves it was too loose.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Agree with Allen. Wipe it off and recheck. It may be left over oil.

Being as it's just a small drop, I would not get into tightening an oil filter while on the road. Hand tight is good enough, and over tightening can create a situation you are not suited to rectify while on the road.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Did you wipe road grime off the engine casing before putting the new filter one? Could be you just have some debris in there causing a poor seal.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Sixty-9er

KN filters come with preoiled seal. +1 for excess oil not leak

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
919>food>beer

The other part of this, is that its when you use tools and and the nuts on the end of the filters to put them on that you run into the issue you just had with not being able to get it off. Hand tight is all it needs, you shouldn't be using wrenches to put it on at all.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Thanks heaps for all the input guys. I don't think it's residue oil because I wiped it clean every time I checked it yesterday, which would have been half a dozen times. And I did wiped down the case that it snugs up too before I put this new one on. That being said I may not have wiped it properly. I'm not going to tighten it anymore. I am a quarter way through my trip and if it is leaking it is only so minuscule it can hold off till I'm home where I can fix it properly. But before I leave, which will be soon I just woke up, I'll wipe it properly and check it after about 200kms. Thanks for all the help WT brothers!

post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate919 View Post
But before I leave, which will be soon I just woke up
Oh snap! He's in the future!!

I'm sure you'll be fine with a small leak, dont worry about it and enjoy your trip! As long as the filter is tight it can wait until you get home

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #10 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

Remove the filter and look for any visible defects on the gasket. If that's not the issue I can't help you.
And I've changed oil on various bikes and cars over my 22 years driving and I've always turned the filter on just hand tight. Never ever have I tightened it on with a wrench,and I've never had a leak at the oil filter.
As long as you have positive contact and the gasket compresses slightly you will have a positive seal.
Don't forget to oil the gasket.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Why not?

When you take the filter off make sure the gasket from the previous filter didnt stick, if you have two gaskets in there you can have a leak.
I would also look at the metal surface that the gasket sits against on the engine block to make sure it is not scared from the previous filter being to tight.
I once was in a hurry and needed my oil changed so u took my car into a quickie oil change place. After 3k i went to change the oil and had to stab a screw driver through the filter to get enough torque to get the filter off. when i did get it off the metal surface on the engine block had been scored and oil leaked from the filter until i had the surface resurfaced.
needless to say i have never had my oil changed by anyone since.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 PM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddin Rubber View Post
Remove the filter and look for any visible defects on the gasket. If that's not the issue I can't help you.
And I've changed oil on various bikes and cars over my 22 years driving and I've always turned the filter on just hand tight. Never ever have I tightened it on with a wrench,and I've never had a leak at the oil filter.
As long as you have positive contact and the gasket compresses slightly you will have a positive seal.
Don't forget to oil the gasket.
speaking of oil filters....how you make out on the dyno with that monster motor of yours...still waiting for dyno results

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode