Transmission question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Transmission question

So today I noticed when I shift into first from neutral, it goes in normal, then I feel and slightly hear a little clunk and the bike kinda moves just a little. This is delayed slightly after shifting down to first. it feels like it takes a second to catch the gear or something. The clutch is fully in the entire time.

I kick from neutral to 1st
Normal clunk every bike has
then a split second later is a little * chunk,

Any idea what this could be? The F4i has 24600 miles on it, no clutch slippage. It's a little clunky shifting, but it could just be because I haven't gotten used to it yet from the RC.

I should note this isn't the 'clunk when shifting from N to 1st' that is in basically every motorcycle forum. It's AFTER the shift happens.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Ian

I have always found Honda's to be overly "clucky" to begin with.

Check the bellcrank oreintation on the linkage, make sure they are parralel and the ball joint sockets are still servicable.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

You just reminded me just how much i hated my f4i gear box.

I had a harsh clunk into 1st but no delayed clunk.
2nd gear however sucked balls. Unless I preloaded the shifter it would never shift smoothly into 2nd at lower RPMS. unless it was over 6500 or so RPMS than it never was an issue even with soft shifts.

Going from an F4i to a GSXR I went from a transmission that felt like broken glass to a smooth as soft butter transmission. 919 is kind of in the middle.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

You probably have already found your clunk but in case you haven't... Consider that it could be outside of the transmission. Maybe either a worn chain or worn cush drive pucks. Or maybe even wheel bearings.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2014, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
You probably have already found your clunk but in case you haven't... Consider that it could be outside of the transmission. Maybe either a worn chain or worn cush drive pucks. Or maybe even wheel bearings.
Yeah I've wondered about this as well. I'm out of town so I haven't gotten a chance to work on it anymore. One thought I had was maybe the motor was moving in the frame since the one right side bolt is not tight since it was stripped ?

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode