TPS Calibration - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Pete

TPS Calibration

Hi, I recently replaced a broken TPS. I have installed it and the bikes running much better, 8 Blinks on the FI light gone.
I followed Jeef's instructions to calibrate the TPS with the bike...

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/tim...tml#post389392

however I have been unsuccessful in all ways trying to get a signal out of the TPS via the multi meter. I have had it on DV volts and 20, as recommended.

Has anyone got any idea where I could be going wrong or what I could be checking? I dont suspect any issues in the wiring if the error code has been fixed. I may also note that I could not get a signal with the old tps either.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-13-2014, 09:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

What's shown in the picture is how to feed power to the TPS. To get a reading you still need to get your meter to the other pin in the connector and to ground.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 16 Old 12-13-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Pete

I have the positive wire of the multimeter probing the centre cable of the TPS, and the negative is attached to the battery. Are you saying I should also be probing one of the other wires on the TPS? Thanks!

post #4 of 16 Old 12-13-2014, 10:34 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCBNZ View Post
I have the positive wire of the multimeter probing the centre cable of the TPS, and the negative is attached to the battery. Are you saying I should also be probing one of the other wires on the TPS? Thanks!
No, I'm saying you have to feed power to the TPS. Without looking at the manual, and going from the referenced post, 12v goes to the center pin. Your meter will go in one of the other pins, and to ground.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 07:18 AM
919>food>beer

You are right using the middle wire, I would be making sure you have good contacts with the middle feed and strong ground.

post #6 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Milites Gregarius

Wondering, when is it necessary to calibrate the TPS? Is this a recommended maintenance? Or, is this only needed if the throttle bodies were worked on?

post #7 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 01:19 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It's part of the TB. AFAIK the only time you'd mess with it, is if it's broken. Sure if you go modding you may have to mess with it, but have fun beating a Honda engineer at longevity once you're that far in.

post #8 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Just plug in ur ECMspy...

:buell:
post #9 of 16 Old 12-20-2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Pete

issues continue...

Furthermore to the discussion, I recently had a look at the ECM to see if I could chase the wires back to there and see why I couldn't get a reading. I unplugged the ECM and plugged it in again.

I later that day went for a ride, which might I add included some decent bumps along the way. About two hours into the ride the engine started cutting out. The symptoms included poor throttle response then it stalled itself, showing the standard lights you'd see if you had actually stalled. With no issue I was able to pull the clutch in and restart the bike and continue home. This happened a further more two times randomly.

Upon inspection when I got home I retraced the wires looking for a short circuit or something loose. After no luck I went to start the bike up again, and was alarmed by a large buzzing/clicking sound that sounded much like static discharge when I pressed the starter. I traced it to the starter solenoid/main fuse. Fuse was fine, took it apart and looked for loose connections. Checked battery, grounds and starter. No issues.

I am now wondering if the starter solenoid caused the whole stalling issue, and if there is any way to confirm it may be a faulty solenoid before I replace it? Anyone experienced anything similar??

post #10 of 16 Old 12-20-2014, 05:11 AM
919>food>beer

Do you have a copy of the factory service manual?

post #11 of 16 Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Pete

I do, and I have been using it to troubleshoot thus far. However it says I require a "test harness" to be able to continue testing for continuity between the TPS and ECM. Anyone made a home made one?

post #12 of 16 Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You should be able to just jumper from the plug to the TPS using some wire and take the readings from the jumper wires. I did that when we were experimenting with an eBay TPS and I got good readings.

post #13 of 16 Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Pete

Do you happen to know what connections on the female ECM plug I should probe? I cant find a diagram thus far unfortunately. Thanks for the help so far, would rather not have to visit my local honda dealership!

post #14 of 16 Old 12-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Can't recall which ones I measured then, but my guess would be R/Y and G/O.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TP Sensor Conn.JPG (58.1 KB, 9 views)

post #15 of 16 Old 12-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Too lazy to read up ahead, but have you checked the connections in the right side handlebar pod? Including the kill switch? I wonder if you have a short in there or something. It's known to get dirty.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #16 of 16 Old 12-25-2014, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Pete

As for the issues with the bike cutting out, upon removing the battery, the threads of the screw holding the copper tab into the battery were oxidized, thus making for a bad ground. Unsure what the cause may have been, possibly the starter solenoid shorting out. But all is back to normal. Now just to get a signal and calibrate the TPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode