Tool Kit that Fits - Wrist Twisters
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By LDH
  • 2 Post By LDH
  • 2 Post By marylandmike

post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

Tool Kit that Fits

What's the best tool kit that actually fits where the tool kit is supposed to go, under the seat? I figure there must be something better than stock at this point, any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

What bike do you have?

The OEM tool kits are so shite that many of them are not even included with the motorcycle anymore... A lot of the aftermarket kits are fairly comprehensive,but usually overpriced and if they are missing just one crucial sized tool for your specific bike you are still fucked no matter how much you spent.

I rarely ride on the street as I am 99% track only and because I am a trackside suspension tuner it is safe to say I have no shortage of tools with me at any track event. There is pretty much nothing I cannot do to a motorcycle when working out of my van. When I do ride on the street it is generally a touring type ride for hundreds of miles and with that I have packed my own tool kit unique to the bike I am riding. It is packed with exactly what I need to perform the basic maintenance needs of tire changes, chain adjustments and getting under the bodywork.

In my F4i I always have a Leatherman tool which takes care of basic Screwdriver, vise-grip and wire cutting/stripping needs. With that I keep a maxpedition cocoon pack with the basic handtools I need. Some are Craftsman, some are Husky from Home Depot like the double ratchet 1/4 & 3/8 drive. They don't have to be expensive they just have to get the job done when you are in a bind in the middle of nowhere. I purchase enough tools to build one of these kits for every bike I am riding on public roads. I am also lucky in that with this particular bike (the F4i) there is a really nice segmented undertail tray under the passenger seat that holds both the cocoon and the 1 loose wrench very positively.

The key is figuring out exactly which tools are required for your bike and discarding the rest. For the record I also carry a 1 gallon gas can in my saddle bag and about 4 feet of tubing so I could siphon from another bike if absolutely necessary. I also carry tire plugs that you would use in a radial automotive (NOT MOTORCYCLE) tire repair kit with the appropriate T-handle tools and a small air compressor. Everything else after that is just fluff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f4ileathermana.jpg (287.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg f4ileatherman.jpg (170.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg f4itoola.jpg (203.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg f4itoolb.jpg (137.8 KB, 5 views)
mcromo44 likes this.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 AM
Princeps Prior

I too have a "build your own". I have a high quality Leatherman type tool, allens, wire, string, tape, etc...

I have a clip based 12V light to attach to the battery and some jumpers. Basically all you need is a 12v bulb, holder, and jumpers. One of the wires that I have is just 4 clips and 2' of wire so I can jump most things.

There's only so much you can do on the road. Blown fuses, small things.

Thankfully I've only had carb problems on the prior bike and a dead battery on the 919. Honda makes a pretty reliable bike.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
What bike do you have?

The OEM tool kits are so shite that many of them are not even included with the motorcycle anymore... A lot of the aftermarket kits are fairly comprehensive,but usually overpriced and if they are missing just one crucial sized tool for your specific bike you are still fucked no matter how much you spent.

I rarely ride on the street as I am 99% track only and because I am a trackside suspension tuner it is safe to say I have no shortage of tools with me at any track event. There is pretty much nothing I cannot do to a motorcycle when working out of my van. When I do ride on the street it is generally a touring type ride for hundreds of miles and with that I have packed my own tool kit unique to the bike I am riding. It is packed with exactly what I need to perform the basic maintenance needs of tire changes, chain adjustments and getting under the bodywork.

In my F4i I always have a Leatherman tool which takes care of basic Screwdriver, vise-grip and wire cutting/stripping needs. With that I keep a maxpedition cocoon pack with the basic handtools I need. Some are Craftsman, some are Husky from Home Depot like the double ratchet 1/4 & 3/8 drive. They don't have to be expensive they just have to get the job done when you are in a bind in the middle of nowhere. I purchase enough tools to build one of these kits for every bike I am riding on public roads. I am also lucky in that with this particular bike (the F4i) there is a really nice segmented undertail tray under the passenger seat that holds both the cocoon and the 1 loose wrench very positively.

The key is figuring out exactly which tools are required for your bike and discarding the rest. For the record I also carry a 1 gallon gas can in my saddle bag and about 4 feet of tubing so I could siphon from another bike if absolutely necessary. I also carry tire plugs that you would use in a radial automotive (NOT MOTORCYCLE) tire repair kit with the appropriate T-handle tools and a small air compressor. Everything else after that is just fluff.
What's your view of automotive canned gas vs a small compressor re a carry kit?
I'd think the canned air would weigh less and take less space, which suggests to me that you see some advantage from instead using a small compressor.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Canned air is great until it's empty. Sometimes a slow leak can be refilled several times along the way until a proper fix can be made. I have even had a plug fail to seal initially and you gotta keep pumping air into it until it holds. An empty can does nothing for you.
mcromo44 and Peter_919 like this.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

So Far, So Good for 2007 919

Well, I managed to get a multi-tool (your screw/bolt type here) with the chambers where you push up the bit required through the nozzle into one of the recesses, under the seat, and a couple of other handy multi's into the other slot under the seat, both held down with factory bungees. I have a top case, but with laptop shoulder bag, 2 six packs of very important craft beer and two stainless drink containers (one for water, and one for coffee from the morning), there was little room for anything else. Obviously, on a longer ride I might sacrifice the beer room for salvation tools, but for the 15 mile commute, I think I'll survive.

I've seen ads for the Leatherman Wave, but there's a lot of blades in there that just don't make sense from a mechanical perspective. Is there a Leatherman with a full suite of metric Allen ends?

Cheers!

post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin4242 View Post
Well, I managed to get a multi-tool (your screw/bolt type here) with the chambers where you push up the bit required through the nozzle into one of the recesses, under the seat, and a couple of other handy multi's into the other slot under the seat, both held down with factory bungees. I have a top case, but with laptop shoulder bag, 2 six packs of very important craft beer and two stainless drink containers (one for water, and one for coffee from the morning), there was little room for anything else. Obviously, on a longer ride I might sacrifice the beer room for salvation tools, but for the 15 mile commute, I think I'll survive.

I've seen ads for the Leatherman Wave, but there's a lot of blades in there that just don't make sense from a mechanical perspective. Is there a Leatherman with a full suite of metric Allen ends?

Cheers!
https://rideapart.com/articles/multi...-motorcyclists

https://www.backcountry.com/topeak-a...RoCpxsQAvD_BwE

post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2018, 04:15 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

This is really all you need:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ifixit-s-MacGyver-toolkit.jpg (105.4 KB, 10 views)
Devin4242 and badmoon692008 like this.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

About as useful as this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Funny Tool Tin.jpg (94.2 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode