Tire Wear - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Tire Wear

I guess it's an accomplishment, I've made it through my first set of tires. My bikes always needed tires when i got them or shortly after, or I just replaced them for the sake of fresh rubber on a new to me bike.
This time I've finally worn them the whole way down from new. I wanted to see if this tire wear is normal or if something is not right?

I went on a trip this weekend and since my PR4s have about 10k miles on them and the weather was going to be good i figured what's another 1k miles. The rear tire was at the "I'm gonna need new tires" stage before I left. It still had a little of the center line tread pattern, although i noticed a flat spot where the center pattern was gone.

i had been running around 30 to 32 psi front and back. on the trip i had about 60 lbs of cargo, and trying to get more longevity I upped the pressures to 34f and 36r. Checked the rear while hot later on and it was at 38.
Before I left I adjusted and aligned the chain by getting the teeth in the middle of the chain, the chain marks on the sides were approximately at the same spot. it was in the 80s on the trip, i did about 300 miles a day. on the last day it was up in the 90s. I had two instances where the it behaved badly on LH turns, once, i was hard braking for a shaper than expected turn and the rear wiggled on me. Later on, i was in an S turn, going into the left and the bike nearly lowsided, but caught again, somehow it didn't go down. that's when i took the 38psi reading and took some air out of the tires.

Was this accelerated wear due to something? normal behaviour for a shot tire? It just seemed to go from pretty much done, to scared to ride on it, pretty quickly. Pic below shows the tire after that S turn. I don't have a recent one from before the trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 12:50 PM
just send it.

Garage
It looks like you do a lot of riding with your left hand on your hip. It also looks like the rear tire is starting to cup a little bit.

[This space for rent]
post #3 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
It looks like you do a lot of riding with your left hand on your hip. It also looks like the rear tire is starting to cup a little bit.
I would say the asymmetrical wear is more from crowned roads than riding technique

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)

post #4 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

wow, how did you know about the hand on your hip? i probably do that a lot, especially on longer rides to straighten my back up, i have like 1" up 1 or 1.5" back risers, i'm 5'5", i thought they'd be good to help with the reach, but i also wonder if they make me arch my back too much..

thanks for the input

any thoughts on that psi for touring/cargo?

i have done a decent amount of riding 2-up without adding air, so like 30-32 psi. not all that frequent, but like a couple for 100 miles, often for like 50 mi.
i know i should have added air but just something that gets skipped in the rush to hit the road. could that be part of the cupping?

sorry if these are dumb questions, but it's my first time really seeing how my specific riding affects wear. with my apt, i dont have a lot of stuff on hand, but i should probably add some kinda easy, portable pump.

post #5 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

also the sipes are often curled up. i read that's a sign of something, but haven't really pinned down what causes it or prevents it.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
He means because you seem to ride in a straight line a LOT, that's why the rear tire is worn so much in the center.

Don't forget that you added weight (and air) to the tire when it was already shot. The last 20% of the tire goes in the last 5% of travel time, it seems.

High temps and aggressive riding will make short order of any tire on it's last legs.

It also flexes a lot easier when there is less tread because, well, less rubber to flex. More flexing = more wear.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #7 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
He means because you seem to ride in a straight line a LOT, that's why the rear tire is worn so much in the center.
oh
haha... in my defense, i commute 30 miles on it but usually take back roads home, wouldn't say i'm a highway rider, but had done stints of it on this trip to get to the twisty bits sooner.

Quote:
Don't forget that you added weight (and air) to the tire when it was already shot. The last 20% of the tire goes in the last 5% of travel time, it seems.

High temps and aggressive riding will make short order of any tire on it's last legs.

It also flexes a lot easier when there is less tread because, well, less rubber to flex. More flexing = more wear.
thanks, makes sense, good to know.

I'm planning to do a track day on the 6th, rear obviously getting swapped. i was debating about the front but i'm guessing with the uneven wear and general wear it should get swapped too. especially considering the above wear rate.

for anyone curious, these have 11k miles on them

post #8 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Definitely swap if doing a track day!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 13 Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post

for anyone curious, these have 11k miles on them
That's good going, I'm yet to get past 10,500km [=6,500mi] on anything I've tried. Maybe the Michelins are worth it, after all...

post #10 of 13 Old 05-27-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Alright thanks for the tips guys. Time to get another set of pilot road 4's on order.
K1w1Boy, I think they're worth it. i don't have the most experience with other tires, but it seems like they hold up to a thrashing and they are great in the rain also. I think I ride pretty aggressively on twisty roads and other than this last weekend i've never had an issue with grip dry or wet.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-27-2015, 12:39 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I would say the asymmetrical wear is more from crowned roads than riding technique
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
wow, how did you know about the hand on your hip? i probably do that a lot, especially on longer rides to straighten my back up, i have like 1" up 1 or 1.5" back risers, i'm 5'5", i thought they'd be good to help with the reach, but i also wonder if they make me arch my back too much..
It looks like there is a lot more wear on one side of the tire. I think SOME is due to the crowned roads, but that is A LOT of uneven wear. When I had a 9er and did the one hand on my hip thing, the bike wasn't straight up and down causing extra uneven wear as seen in your picture above. Not necessarily a bad thing as your tires are shot anyways...

[This space for rent]
post #12 of 13 Old 05-27-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

ah ha! it's not that it went way over my head.

i was really shocked by how uneven it was, i don't remember it ever seeming that way before. so perhaps it was a combination of the tire being shot and the other things and it just ate up that left side.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 06:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'm always amazed that guys can get that kind of mileage out of a back tire. When I stop, I pull in the clutch, and brake with just the front to minimize rear tire wear.

I'm not buying the left hip story. On a perfectly flat surface, you'd have to ride in circles. I always wear out the left side of my tires first, for 2 reasons. In the U.S., we drive on the right side of the road, therefore the road is always sloping to our right. So in order to go straight, you're always riding a bit side hill.

The other reason is because we drive on the right side of the road, I corner harder in left hand curves because I can see farther around the curve. I think me being right handed, also factors into the equation.

Have fun at that track day. I haven't done one for several years now. They were a lot of fun. I always liked how rough and meaty the tires looked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode