Tire edged design and sand, do the groves matter? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 2 Post By nathanktm

post #1 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Tire edged design and sand, do the groves matter?

For street use, one area that can really screw things up is sand on a turn.

I noticed some tires have very little or no groves along the edges where you would be if you were leaning in a turn. Others have more there.

I get the rain grove part, but wouldn't that have some truth with sand as well?

Meaning, if you have a mostly smooth area around the edge and you hit sand, you're going to have a harder time than if you had some groves in that same area.

Just noticing the design of different tires and thinking about the worst thing we usually get on the road. Sand, gravel, oil, on a turn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

New road 5's have no edge grooves, so far it hasn't been an issue

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dan
post #3 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 12:37 PM
919 Rider

I can see how those road 5s would be good in the wet with those micro grooves.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

And now compare that to this: Dunlop unveil street friendly but track focused Sportmax Q4 | MCNews.com.au

This has one single slice "every so often", so it almost looks like a slick.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 01:38 PM
919 Rider

The Pirelli Diablo stradas I have are at the other end of the spectrum when compared to those Dunlops.
I say this. The more aggressive tread pattern may offer more grip on loose surfaces but less on wet and wear faster.
The more slicker types of treads with grooves grip better on hard surfaces and in the wet.
Those road 5s look like a good compromise between the two.
I take my bike down a lot of gravel roads and never had an issue with the Diablos. I feel very confident.
The sealed roads where I ride are awful. A lot of potholes, repairs, loose gravel and blue metal. Never slipped.
I also like the look of the tread pattern. But I never ride in the wet so can't say if they are any good in the wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190120_142426-1_1548969263502.jpg (135.8 KB, 8 views)
mcromo44 likes this.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 03:25 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
New road 5's have no edge grooves, so far it hasn't been an issue

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It sounds as though for cold and/or wet road riding, these are the way to go.
Plus they perform well in the warm and dry.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I wondering if someone got the "more slick" tires for the street, if it would really be a waste for most riders. If they are more "track" type tires that have very few grooves, they might not do as well with sand on a turn, but offer more traction under ideal conditions... However, more traction under ideal conditions is a waste for anything you don't use. In other words, having 2X the traction you need is a waste. So having 1.5X the traction you need and being able to handle sand and gravel better, would be the better choice.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
For street use, one area that can really screw things up is sand on a turn.

I noticed some tires have very little or no groves along the edges where you would be if you were leaning in a turn. Others have more there.

I get the rain grove part, but wouldn't that have some truth with sand as well?

Meaning, if you have a mostly smooth area around the edge and you hit sand, you're going to have a harder time than if you had some groves in that same area.

Just noticing the design of different tires and thinking about the worst thing we usually get on the road. Sand, gravel, oil, on a turn.
Tire sipes work by giving a place for the liquid to displace so that rubber can touch the road without hydroplaning. As sand is not a fluid, it won't react the same way, and as such sipes likely wouldn't help. If anything, they'd make it worse, as in a low traction situation you'd want as much rubber on the road as possible so hopefully some of the rubber is on a spot with less or no sand.

The reason many tires don't have sipes on the very edge, is because sipes are only good for water displacement, and most sane riders won't be using the edges of the tire when there is water on the road, so more rubber is better at that point.

Anecdotally, you'd be amazed how much grip a race slick can still have in wet/light rain conditions. Once there is standing water you tend to hydroplane much easier, but they grip surprisingly well until that happens.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 12 Old 02-01-2019, 09:07 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I wondering if someone got the "more slick" tires for the street, if it would really be a waste for most riders. If they are more "track" type tires that have very few grooves, they might not do as well with sand on a turn, but offer more traction under ideal conditions... However, more traction under ideal conditions is a waste for anything you don't use. In other words, having 2X the traction you need is a waste. So having 1.5X the traction you need and being able to handle sand and gravel better, would be the better choice.
95% of riders can't/won't out ride a decent sport touring tire on the street. As I said above, slick tires can grip really well in the wet, but only until they start to hydroplane. I suggest to everyone to run a Michelin Pilot Road tire (or something similar like the Pirelli Angel GT) because the likelihood of you being able to outride them on the street is ridiculously low, and they'll be better in cold and rainy situations.

Like I said above I don't know that that applies the same way to sandy or especially to oily conditions, but I'd be interested to see if any type of study has ever been done to look into that.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2019, 02:03 PM
919 Rider

I might add. I've always looked at gravel/sand on a road as ball bearings on a hard surface. I feel an aggressive tire tread with large gaps when going over a gravel patch means there is less 'ball bearings' under said tire with some of the gravel now in a gap. And less chance of the tire rolling on the gravel ball bearings.
Sipes for water, wide grooves for sand.
Tread pattern is also there to make a tire look cool and get you to buy it.

post #11 of 12 Old 02-01-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I might add. I've always looked at gravel/sand on a road as ball bearings on a hard surface. I feel an aggressive tire tread with large gaps when going over a gravel patch means there is less 'ball bearings' under said tire with some of the gravel now in a gap. And less chance of the tire rolling on the gravel ball bearings.
Sipes for water, wide grooves for sand.
Tread pattern is also there to make a tire look cool and get you to buy it.
This is exactly my thinking. If you look at 4X4 mud tires, they are designed so that anything that can move, has an escape path and other parts of the tire can grip.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-02-2019, 05:46 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I think this debate over sipes on tires is a bit pointless. There is no tire in the world that will have grip on sandy pavement at full lean. The benefit of riding a sport tire is that you can do a track day on one and not melt it to pieces.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
voodooridr and mcromo44 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode