Tire Change - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Tire Change

I did my 3rd rear tire change this morning. Put on another Pirelli Diablo Strada. Seems to get a little easier everytime. Snapped a few pics along the way.

A few tools laid out. Valve stem tool, tire irons, rim protectors made from large yogurt containers, torque wrench and sockets for the rear axle, and a 19X19 box that I built to keep the underside (rotors) from damage.

Sprocket and bumpers removed

My ghetto bead breaker (under the deck)

First bead over the rim using tire irons and rim protectors, the second one is easy.

New tire ready to go on. The first bead goes right over with a little lube. I used pledge furniture polish to lubricate the beads on the tire.

First bead on

Second bead on. This one takes a lil more effort

Tire inflated and on my homemade balancer. Made from a couple of jackstands, bearings, and an aluminum rod.

Cleaned the chain with mineral spirits and the inside of the swingarm that gets all gunked up with chain lube and dirt

Mounted up chain adjusted, torqued and ready to roll

Took me bout an hour and half, but I like working on my own bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i will try to snap a few pics of my tire setup, not like yours but it works.

post #3 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 AM

xlent bead breaker...I will be using it

post #4 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 09:32 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Nice setup..... Only two things I'd probably do differently....Use soap instead of furniture polish...... and put the jack stands closer together on the balancer.... That's a real nice thinking man's set-up... way to go...

Monk
Riding defensively is a pro-active must.VFR MOD's : GripPuppies;ThrottleBoss;NepThottlelock;LowCutBra; BubbleMirrors;HondaBags;GPS TomTom2ndEd(Powered,W/Tightwad'sPowerletSystem);SargentSeat w/silver piping;StockWindscreenW/LaminarLip;
3-M BlackReflectiveTape;FirstGearSilverMiniTankBag;Gez aHalfCover;AxioSilverHardshellTailbag;
HeldSpeedySeatBag;KuryakynLEDBatteryGauge;TyresMic hPR2's;NWS Hugger;RedWheelTape;RedRadiatorGrill.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 AM
919>food>beer

nice set up, really wish I had a garage where I could do my own, I hate paying for someone to do it for me!

post #6 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
i will try to snap a few pics of my tire setup, not like yours but it works.
Cool I'd like to see it. I saw a few vids on youtube on how to change a motorcycle tire and adapted my setup to those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
xlent bead breaker...I will be using it
Its cheap and easy. I bolted a pipe nipple to my deck post, and just take the elbow, pipe and angled off 2X4 outside to use it. Works really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONK View Post
Nice setup..... Only two things I'd probably do differently....Use soap instead of furniture polish...... and put the jack stands closer together on the balancer.... That's a real nice thinking man's set-up... way to go...
Thanks Monk. I usually use soapy water to lube the beads, but I had heard that pledge works pretty good, and it did. Good call on the jack stands, I got lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
nice set up, really wish I had a garage where I could do my own, I hate paying for someone to do it for me!
Me too. The best part is I can do it whenever I want and not have to sit an wait at the dealer.

post #7 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase

It probably does work better..... I was thinking about tyre slippage on the rim while riding.... but if you've used it before with no problem that you know of, my worries may have been in vain.... But I will steal a few ideas from you.... Thx

Monk
Riding defensively is a pro-active must.VFR MOD's : GripPuppies;ThrottleBoss;NepThottlelock;LowCutBra; BubbleMirrors;HondaBags;GPS TomTom2ndEd(Powered,W/Tightwad'sPowerletSystem);SargentSeat w/silver piping;StockWindscreenW/LaminarLip;
3-M BlackReflectiveTape;FirstGearSilverMiniTankBag;Gez aHalfCover;AxioSilverHardshellTailbag;
HeldSpeedySeatBag;KuryakynLEDBatteryGauge;TyresMic hPR2's;NWS Hugger;RedWheelTape;RedRadiatorGrill.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

nice job dude!
not that long ago, I could get tires mounted and balanced at the local Yam dealer for $12 each. At that price, it wasn't worth breaking a sweat but now all three dealers near me charge $80+ per pair! For 15 minutes of labor.
When a friend recently decided he was no longer going to ride the CO 500 after doing it 30 yrs in a row, I snagged his Coats 220 dirt cheap (to the right of the Bandito) and will try it out next week for the 1st time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coats1.JPG (83.4 KB, 60 views)

post #9 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

those are good machines, take your time with it and soon you will be doing everyones tires for 50 bucks making a little money and saving everyone else a arse load of money.

post #10 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
nice job dude!
not that long ago, I could get tires mounted and balanced at the local Yam dealer for $12 each. At that price, it wasn't worth breaking a sweat but now all three dealers near me charge $80+ per pair! For 15 minutes of labor.
When a friend recently decided he was no longer going to ride the CO 500 after doing it 30 yrs in a row, I snagged his Coats 220 dirt cheap (to the right of the Bandito) and will try it out next week for the 1st time.
Thanks gpz. I bet that Coates machine will make quick work of the job. Let us know how it works. I thought about trying out a simple tire changing machine, but didnt really have a good spot to put it. Seemed like you would have to bolt it to the floor.

Good luck with the Coates

post #11 of 27 Old 07-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

Wow, I love the "ghetto" approach. I was thinking about how difficult it would be, and it really doesn't appear to be that bad.

Thanks for the info Mike.

post #12 of 27 Old 07-26-2009, 04:07 AM
Milites Gregarius

He guys.. Has anyone seen this unit in person?

Tire Changer for Motorcycles and More

It looks like a pretty compact unit and takes up very little foot print, just a bit pricey

post #13 of 27 Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border View Post
Wow, I love the "ghetto" approach. I was thinking about how difficult it would be, and it really doesn't appear to be that bad.

Thanks for the info Mike.
You're welcome. I had the same thought, but my local installers prices are anywhere from $50-$75 to install a rear tire. If you're interested, these three vids are pretty good. He's teaching a group how to do it, so he goes really slow and shows how to do it. It's not the easiest thing I've ever done, but it's not bad.

Tire removal

Tire Install

Balancing

post #14 of 27 Old 07-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Mike, very nice ... I like the ingenuity! I'm lazy when it comes to road tires ... Cycle Gear does it for cheap. Remove, mount and balance ... $40.

I stick with the easier dirt or DP tires for DIY.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #15 of 27 Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 AM
dr1
dr1

I did it myself for the first time a month or two ago.. wasnt bad but I didnt have a fancy bead breaker. I ended up using this c-clamp type thing. I didnt even kill the tire which is good because I had to put it back on. After I patched it, I had it back on the rim in 5 minutes. I used an antifreeze jug for my rim protectors. And I "balanced" it on the bike with just the axle in and no chain or brakes on. lol. Its good 'nuff. Been to 100 many times already :P

post #16 of 27 Old 07-26-2009, 07:16 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post

It looks like a pretty compact unit and takes up very little foot print, just a bit pricey
This thread got me looking around, and for you guys(and me) that are concerned with having a place to bolt it to the floor, due to lack of room.
I found that a lot of peps just put female concrete plugs in the floor(4 usually), and just bolt it down when needed. Just a thought..... I bookmarked this T-changer, I'm going to keep an eye out. Right now I'm only paying $26.50 a wheel, with me taking the wheel off the bike.. But the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise if it goes up.
I bought a balancer due to no one being able to balance my rear wheel(because of the singlesided swingarm). So I got one with an adapter for my VFR, from HF...

Monk
post #17 of 27 Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Seemed like you would have to bolt it to the floor.

Good luck with the Coates
Yes, it's gotta be bolted down. I'm lucky to share an xtra large shop with my bro in law. Compressors, pneumatic tools, bike lift, and now a tire changer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post

Had I not come across my friend's Coates, the NoMar is probably the one I would've chosen.

post #18 of 27 Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Mike, very nice ... I like the ingenuity! I'm lazy when it comes to road tires ... Cycle Gear does it for cheap. Remove, mount and balance ... $40.

I stick with the easier dirt or DP tires for DIY.
Thanks man. I wish I had a Cycle Gear...closest ones are in Delaware or Virginia Beach. All I have are motorcycle dealers around me.

post #19 of 27 Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Thanks man. I wish I had a Cycle Gear...closest ones are in Deleware or Virginia Beach. All I have are motorcycle dealers around me.
Yeah.... DOn't knwo anyone down here you could visit with while a cycle gear... And it is in Norfolk, not Virginia Beach. You old guys.....

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #20 of 27 Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Cool set up Mike...I cheat though, I get to use one of these at work

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #21 of 27 Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

screw the tire changer... we need more pics of that sweetass honda mower back there! As I'm sure that I have its twin in my garage!!!

post #22 of 27 Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

If my Tire dealer ever charges me over $10 for the pair I buy from him, then I'm gonna build me one too!

[
post #23 of 27 Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

imma have to start doin this too... 80 bucKs a tire here is prolly the cheapest you'll find:/

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
post #24 of 27 Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostevo052 View Post
imma have to start doin this too... 80 bucKs a tire here is prolly the cheapest you'll find:/
That's crazy! Even if you bring them the bike here........I bring my wheels/tires in and they charge me like $30-40 locally for both.

2003 Honda RC51
post #25 of 27 Old 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Questions from a first timer

Getting ready to do my first tire change this weekend. Changing the stock rear out for a Dunlop Roadsmart and I had a few questions for Mike and others that have done this before:

Mike - Why remove the sprocket etc? Is it for clearance for your tire tools?

I plan to install Dyna beads in the new tire. With the Dyna beads in I should be able to remove the stock wheel weights, right?

I thought I read somewhere that there is a paint mark on the tire that is supposed to be lined up with the valve stem or opposite the valve stem. Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Madmotor
'06 919

post #26 of 27 Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmotor View Post
Getting ready to do my first tire change this weekend. Changing the stock rear out for a Dunlop Roadsmart and I had a few questions for Mike and others that have done this before:

I plan to install Dyna beads in the new tire. With the Dyna beads in I should be able to remove the stock wheel weights, right?

I thought I read somewhere that there is a paint mark on the tire that is supposed to be lined up with the valve stem or opposite the valve stem. Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Madmotor
'06 919
yes remove the stock weights...

yes line the paint spot up with the valve stem as accurately as possible..

and the sprocket does not necessarily have to come off but it makes life a little easier to remove/install tires with the sprocket removed...

hope this helped..

post #27 of 27 Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmotor View Post

Thanks in advance,

Madmotor
'06 919
I haven't tried the dynabead route yet, but I would agree with Barton that the wheel weights should come off.

I have used Pirelli's and never could really find the paint spot. I'm not sure it matters too much.

With the sprocket, there's nothing really to unbolt, the whole assembly just pulls off. Keeps it from falling out when you flip the tire over and stuff. Good luck and be patient.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode