Throttle play doubled all the sudden, any ideas what it could be? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Throttle play doubled all the sudden, any ideas what it could be?

While riding, all the sudden the play in the throttle doubled. I was able to get back home and it's too dark to see anything right now, but I'm thinking the return throttle cable might have snapped or something that holds/adjusts tension gave way.

I've never dug into the 919 cables, but basically I can rev up, but the play between rev up and rev down is about twice what it usually is. I guess it's normally about 1/4" play, now it's 1/2" or more.

I'm guessing if the return cable snaps, this would happen as it still returns based on spring.

The other is that maybe something inside the control gave way.

I'd really hate to replace the cables based on what some say is involved, but have to do what I have to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 12:22 AM
919 Rider

I'd pull the throttle assembly apart on the handlebar first. Make sure something hasn't come adrift there. You can check both cables from there too, if intact or broken just by pulling on the cable.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 07:04 AM
McTavish

My guess is that the something shifted at the throttle body cable fixing point or points.
Raise the tank to investigate.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Broken return cable. Removed the 2 screws on the control and the return cable is broken at the top.

Now I have to dig up the info on how to replace a throttle cable.

Routing isn't a problem as I can use the old one tape the new one to it and route it that way. It's getting it attached thing that seems tricky.

Any tips on this?

I think someone just went thru this, but didn't outline how the problem was solved.

At least now I'll be able to clean and lube everything, the starting switch was sticking.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 11:41 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I guess it's normally about 1/4" play
that is way too sloppy
it should be minimized as much as possible, just shy of any binding starting

post #6 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
that is way too sloppy
it should be minimized as much as possible, just shy of any binding starting
I kinda got used to it I guess. The controls are all in need of attention, probably from being an outside bike. I replace the clutch cable (it didn't really make any difference, my clutch lever still doesn't pop out all the way.

My buttons (turn, start) stick. I've sprayed them with chain wax and still they aren't very smooth.

I'm sure he throttle needs to be cleaned, lubed and maybe replace some more things.

This will be a good chance for me to dig into the controls and rebuild them.

My main concern is how to fit up the throttle cables. On my other bike, the best bet it to remove the carbs, I'd hate to open up a can of worms.

I think part of the problem is not having lubed the cables, didn't realize they were this bad, but the bike is some 13 years old now and has 30K on the clock.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-09-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Update: it's the push (return) cable and I checked the other one (pull) and it's in great shape. I took everything apart, lubed the pull and readjusted everything. Works about as great as it did before because the spring is pulling it back.

It'll be about a week for me to get a new cable, nobody has them in stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode