Throttle issue. Throttle can roll the wrong direction - video inside - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Throttle issue. Throttle can roll the wrong direction - video inside

New to me bike.....

I swapped the bars and had to get a new throttle tube because the previous throttle was a heated grip and was glued to the tube

Nothing else should have changed. The new throttle tube looked identical to the old one.

Throttle play feels fine and snaps back..... But the throttle will roll the opposite direction for about a half inch. What am I missing. Was there a "stopper" of some sort that fell out or something. I have played wi the adjuster up near the throttle with no success

Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLoq...e_gdata_player

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Left of Centre

Just looks like there's extra slack in the cable that needs to be adjusted out...

post #3 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

how do you make adjustments to the bottom cable then? (push cable?)

i have tried to adjust the top cable (pull) in every direction.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Look on the back of the throttle housing, you'll see two cables coming out. On one of these cables you'll see an adjustment section where you back off one nut, then thread the second one either forward or backward to take out any slack.

I do it on mine while I have it idling - that way I know when I've gone too tight when the idle starts to climb.

Also, you did make sure both throttle cables are connected to the throttle tube, correct?

One pulls the actual throttle cable, the other is a return assist (tension) cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle adjust.jpg (146.1 KB, 20 views)

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yes. I have done that. Did you see the video? The trottle pull and snap back are dead on The top cable is the one being pulled when you twist the throttle. It seems fine. It seems like the bottom Cable is the one that would keep the throttle from rolling too far forward

What actually stops the throttle from rolling too far forward

post #6 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselndixie View Post
Yes. I have done that. Did you see the video? The trottle pull and snap back are dead on The top cable is the one being pulled when you twist the throttle. It seems fine. It seems like the bottom Cable is the one that would keep the throttle from rolling too far forward

What actually stops the throttle from rolling too far forward
See my pic above - you still have slack you need to adjust out.

Loosen the little nut, screw the longer nut whichever direction takes slack out of the cable, then re-tighten the little nut.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #7 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Okay. I will go try that again. But can you please explain to me how tension from the top cable will stop the throttle from rolling forward? I must be missing something here. There is no slop in the throttle free play. It's simply rolls back forward past where it should stop

post #8 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Okay. I will go try that again. But can you please explain to me how tension from the top cable will stop the throttle from rolling forward? I must be missing something here. There is no slop in the throttle free play. It's simply rolls back forward past where it should stop
Any movement of the throttle, that does not affect fueling (does not raise or lower revs) is called throttle free play. You have excess free play, weather you believe that is what its called. It is good to have a very minimal amount of free play to prevent binding, but you have much more than necessary.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #9 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
HotCarl73

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

i may be talking outta my ass, but here goes. imagine it as one continuous loop of cable. if it's too long the throttle will have free play open and closed. you have it tightened enough that you don't feel any free play opening because you're pulling against the spring on the throttle. it still has enough slack in it to roll forward. don't even worry about adjusting it, just tighten it way up and you'll see the rolling forward will go away. then loosen it way up and you'll see the rolling forward come back. the butterflies on the intakes stop moving once they're closed. the rolling forward is additional slack in the cable once the butterflies stop moving and are closed.

post #10 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ok. So here it is fully tightened using the adjuster. I have only 1-2 threads grabbed by the adjuster in this video and I still have free play.

919 throttle adjusted all the way out - YouTube

post #11 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Left of Centre

Perhaps, then, the new throttle tube is not as close a match to the old one as was first thought? There might be discrepancies in the distances between the mounting points for the push and pull cable ends, give you an excess of free-play?

post #12 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

My guess, then, is the throttle tube 'cuff' or whatever it's called that the cables attach to is the wrong diameter (too small)... therefore it cannot take up the slack needed.

Compare your stock throttle tube to the one you are using - they should be the same diameter on that 'cuff'.

When I put Rizoma grips on my bike, it came with three different diameter sizes of that piece, just so you can match the one fit for your stock size.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM
HotCarl73

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

didn't see that you had replaced the throttle tube. sorry to steer you wrong. if the part where the cable rides is a tiny bit smaller or the points where the cable connects a tiny bit off it might be out of the range of adjustment. i would guess that if it was ok before and you replaced the tube, the tube is the problem. i've had mine apart a few times, and never saw any kind of stopper. without the cables hooked up, the tube rotates around and around. i think you can adjust them at the other end of the cables where they attach to the carbs. my other bikes are like that, but i haven't had to look at the 919 that deep yet. the adjustments at the carbs are coarser. at the grip is for fine tuning. (i know they're not carbs)

post #14 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Isn't there an adjustment at the throttle body (FSM shows this)? Perhaps you need to "take up some slack" there as well as the tube.

post #15 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Isn't there an adjustment at the throttle body (FSM shows this)? Perhaps you need to "take up some slack" there as well as the tube.
Yep, there should be on the 919? I haven't seen a bike without one there. The majority of your adjustment should be on the throttle body end, any adjustments up by the handlebars are more for fine tuning the adjustment.

If not, then the throttle tube they gave you must be just slightly different then your old tube

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #16 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

So. The black tube is the new one. They are barely different and I mean barely. But they aren't exact. Is that the issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-4065823693.jpg (291.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image-799362986.jpg (40.5 KB, 12 views)

post #17 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 AM
The Cripple

Yes. If you look closely, the overall diameter is changed. You'll have to check and see if you can take up the extra slack down on the throttle body side rather than up at the controls.

post #18 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Sixty-9er

Or save yourself a pain and get the correct part

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #19 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Anyone have the part number?

post #20 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM
The Cripple

I think its 53140-KT8-710 from Honda Motorcycle Parts, ATV, Watercraft, Scooter | Lowest Price Guarantee on Parts and Accessories

If you look at the part fiche, its #10.

post #21 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thx. I will order that and try it

post #22 of 25 Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

well....ordered the correct throttle tube and it helped...but didnt solve the issue. I know the main adjustment comes from the throttle body end of things....but how could it have come out of adjustment from simply replacing the handle bars, risers, and throttle housing?

Anyone have tips on adjusting it under the tank....looks like a PITA

post #23 of 25 Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
well....ordered the correct throttle tube and it helped...but didnt solve the issue. I know the main adjustment comes from the throttle body end of things....but how could it have come out of adjustment from simply replacing the handle bars, risers, and throttle housing?

Anyone have tips on adjusting it under the tank....looks like a PITA
The cables can stretch. Lift up the tank to give yourself more room to work with.

post #24 of 25 Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

even with the tank lifted, it sure seems like alot of stuff is in the way....i have sausages for fingers!

post #25 of 25 Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

So I know these pictures are very hard to see. But can anyone notice what is going on here with my throttle adjustment under the tank. I'm still having the throttle slack issue and I've used all the adjustment that I have up at the throttle in. So I know it's time to make adjustments under the tank. I just can't quite see exactly what I need to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1614949832.jpg (49.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg image-2913923131.jpg (48.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg image-2751079312.jpg (377.4 KB, 5 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode