Here's the latest update with my TPS fiasco... The seller was good enough to send a second throttle body after the first was really badly damaged. So the other night, I brave the Oklahoma heat and try begin the process of removing the throttle body. Well, begin is really the operative word. See, I got the tank up, the little plastic parts off, the battery out, and then I realize that I don't have all the correct tools for the job. Furthermore, I don't have the space or the time to complete a total throttle body switch.
So... I vent a little and put it all back together since it is getting dark and I need to have some transportation to work in the morning. Frustrated, I go inside and write several of the local motorcycle shops in town to see what they would charge to take out the existing throttle body and install the eBay throttle body. (BTW, even the eBay TPS had been broken, however, they did a good job of gluing it back on with epoxy). After I send the emails, I start to look for throttle bodies and I find out that other Honda engines have the same problem and that there are many people who have had this same problem with a broken TPS.
Long story short, I find out that what I thought were pop rivets attaching the TPS were in fact bolts without a head! I read that other people cut a notch in the head of the bolts and then simply unscrewed them. So, encouraged by my findings, and the fact that I have two throttle bodies to practice on before I start cutting on my bike, I have at it... and here are a few pics to accompany my adventure...
So... I think tomorrow I will dive into my bike's TPS after I get some real bolts to replace the ones I'll be removing. Wish me luck!!