Throttle Body find on Ebay1 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 36 Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Throttle Body find on Ebay1

A while back I laid my bike down and part of the damage done was a broken throttle body sensor. I was able to successfully patch it, although it didn't look pretty, and I do have concern about its long-term viability. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for used throttle bodies on eBay, and just the other day, I came across this.

Seems like everything was ok on it, and all the questions I asked seemed to have good answers from the owner. Long story short, I bid on it and got it for $45 shipped! Can't wait for it to arrive so I can install the new (to me) throttle body on and get me runnin' right again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Good Work. Hope she fires right up for ya.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #3 of 36 Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yeah, I figure that since the brand new ones run over $1500, I would take a gamble on this one...

post #4 of 36 Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice find! $45 vs $1500 is quite a deal. Hope it all works well

post #5 of 36 Old 07-30-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Any suggestions or tips for installing the new throttle body? That's something I've never done before, so it will definitely be an interesting project!

post #6 of 36 Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikhon View Post
Any suggestions or tips for installing the new throttle body? That's something I've never done before, so it will definitely be an interesting project!
just make sure you get all the vac lines in place.

its POSSIBLE that that one you bought is a california version with the extra vac nipples for the EVAP system... not a big deal, just take note of the vac lines on your bike n where they went on the original tbodies, put them in the same spot on the new one, then cap off the other 4 nipples.

that is if you bought a CA tbody, and have a non CA bike.... the other way around... just get rid of the evap can while ur at it haha.

post #7 of 36 Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 PM
919>food>beer

nice find... I had to work a tps from a honda civic onto mine... took a bit of work as they are like 120 degrees different, but I managed to get it calibrated and working, using the right setup would been much easier

post #8 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well an update on the throttle body. It arrived today in the mail, and unfortunately, it was not as described. Looks like it has been removed from a wrecked bike because the TPS is broken and there is a major crack where the fuel rail assembly mounts to the body. Furthermore, it looks like the crash moved the whole fuel rail sideways and the first injector looks misaligned. I wrote the guy a couple of emails. The box said that it came from Tousley Motorsports out of MN. More to come once I hear back from him.

post #9 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Former 919er

That's bad news. Sorry to hear.

post #10 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

That sucks! File a grievance with your cc and get him to take it back. I hate ebay for that reason...

post #11 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Le So Cal Troll

was the box messed up... it looks decent in the pics of the listing, but its a small pic.

post #12 of 36 Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well, good news. I emailed the guy as soon as I got it, informing him of the damage. He responded the same day (that in itself was unexpected since it was Friday after 5:00) saying that he was very sorry for the inconvenience and that he must not have looked it over too well before he shipped it. He is expediting another one on Monday. It is really refreshing to deal with an ethical and responsible seller on eBay!

post #13 of 36 Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Former 919er

That's great news and it is refreshing. I hope this one turns out better.

post #14 of 36 Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

post #15 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Update

Here's the latest update with my TPS fiasco... The seller was good enough to send a second throttle body after the first was really badly damaged. So the other night, I brave the Oklahoma heat and try begin the process of removing the throttle body. Well, begin is really the operative word. See, I got the tank up, the little plastic parts off, the battery out, and then I realize that I don't have all the correct tools for the job. Furthermore, I don't have the space or the time to complete a total throttle body switch.

So... I vent a little and put it all back together since it is getting dark and I need to have some transportation to work in the morning. Frustrated, I go inside and write several of the local motorcycle shops in town to see what they would charge to take out the existing throttle body and install the eBay throttle body. (BTW, even the eBay TPS had been broken, however, they did a good job of gluing it back on with epoxy). After I send the emails, I start to look for throttle bodies and I find out that other Honda engines have the same problem and that there are many people who have had this same problem with a broken TPS.

Long story short, I find out that what I thought were pop rivets attaching the TPS were in fact bolts without a head! I read that other people cut a notch in the head of the bolts and then simply unscrewed them. So, encouraged by my findings, and the fact that I have two throttle bodies to practice on before I start cutting on my bike, I have at it... and here are a few pics to accompany my adventure...

So... I think tomorrow I will dive into my bike's TPS after I get some real bolts to replace the ones I'll be removing. Wish me luck!!

post #16 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Former 919er

I wish you luck!

Keep the updates and the pics coming. We all love that stuff.

post #17 of 36 Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM
just send it.

Garage
Never cared much for Tousley Motorsports. When I was looking for a 919, they had one and I went there, cash in hand. Talked to one of the salesmen and I was ready to buy the bike pending a test ride. They refused. Said if I wanted a test ride, I would have to buy the bike first.

Ended up walking. Wasn't going to purchase a bike without even hearing it run first.

But I'm glad your experience was better than mine.

[This space for rent]
post #18 of 36 Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Good luck! Keep us posted.

post #19 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Sweet!!

Success!! It took me no more than five minutes to remove my broken TPS and install the TPS I got from eBay!! From what I understand, the TPS acts like a rheostat and tells the computer what position the throttle is in. The computer then uses that information to adjust the fuel/air mixture. So, all I did when I replaced it was turn the TPS until I was happy with the sound/response of the engine to me twisting the throttle. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it sure is better than it was! Pics for your perusing below...

post #20 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

After going through this ordeal, and seeing how truly SIMPLE it was to replace the TPS, I think it is friggin ridiculous that Honda makes you replace the whole dang throttle body if the TPS gets broken. Literally, disconnect one connector, remove two bolts, put on the new one, reconnect the sensor, replace bolts, done. Seriously Honda??!!

post #21 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 02:32 PM
919>food>beer

not that simple... you are missing a very very important step. Did you ever break out a volt meter and calibrate the sensor? did you notice how it is slotted and not just bolt holes?

Its still a very easy process though and I like you disagree with the the whole not selling it by itself

check this link out for more info on the subject... https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml#post389392

post #22 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 02:35 PM
919>food>beer

after re-re4ading your post I see you eye balled... or rather "ear balled" it. The link above is the method to achieve the proper result if you have a volt meter and 5 minutes.

post #23 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the tip--I'll definitely take a sec to run a volt meter on it to get the precise positioning. The nice thing with my setup was that I took a stock TPS from a 919 and replaced my broken one. So, for me, I didn't have to do major tweaking. I am super impressed with you taking a different Honda TPS and making it work! That's darn impressive!

Just a point of clarification on the voltages you mentioned in your post--it should read 4.5 V on wide open throttle and 0.5 closed (idle)? Thanks for the help!! Yous guys are truly inspiration to get in there and do my own work!

post #24 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Also, which post are you measuring in the TPS? Left, middle, or right (as it is mounted on the bike)? And are you using the ohmmeter for resistance?

post #25 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikhon View Post
Also, which post are you measuring in the TPS? Left, middle, or right (as it is mounted on the bike)? And are you using the ohmmeter for resistance?
You would set the meter to volts, and measure the middle wire. That wire sends a voltage to the computer and lets it know how far open the throttle is.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #26 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 PM
919>food>beer

Thanks and what he said its volts on the middle post and I believe its 4.5 on closed and .5 on wot... it'll be obvious when you hook up the meter.

post #27 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Le So Cal Troll

nice so you just ended up using the original Tboddies that came on the bike and popped on one of the tps's you got off the ebay tboddies?

and yes like stated the bolts that hold the tps's on are of a break off type.

post #28 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
nice so you just ended up using the original Tboddies that came on the bike and popped on one of the tps's you got off the ebay tboddies?
Yup! Piece of cake once I figured it out!

Quote:
You would set the meter to volts, and measure the middle wire. That wire sends a voltage to the computer and lets it know how far open the throttle is.
Excellent! I'll have to take out the voltmeter tomorrow and make some minor adjustments. Thanks gents!

post #29 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM
919>food>beer

i used a safety pin on my lead so I didn't have to cut the wires open btw...

post #30 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

post #31 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Le So Cal Troll

it looks the same but notice the port is like 120* off... and thus the internals are as well... it could probably be made to work quite easily though.

post #32 of 36 Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Yeah you're right I was looking at the wrong angle. Somebody has to make this!

post #33 of 36 Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 AM
919>food>beer

the one you posted is the kind that I made to "fit" on my bike... that is a good sign if you can find the car one by its self though

post #34 of 36 Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

We just need to convince whoever makes the part in Japan or China to offer it by itself for the 919!

post #35 of 36 Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Update: Took the voltmeter to the TPS and adjusted according to comments. I took Sirius out for a spin, and it runs flawlessly! :thumbsup: sweeeet!

post #36 of 36 Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM
919>food>beer

Awesome glad we could help man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode