The Dying 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 01-14-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

The Dying 919

Just ticked over 50k miles on mine and its surely on its way out. I've made threads about my suspicion of it being down on power. Pretty sure I have blow-by (oil in the airbox/air filter) and also worn valve guides/seals. It's been burning oil since at least two years ago when I was told white smoke was coming out of the tailpipe at the end of the front straight during a track day. Had maybe 28k miles on it then. It's not that bad yet I'd say, after about 3500 miles the oil went from the high level in the sight glass to about mid-way. Not sure how much that is, but at least I don't need to add oil before changes yet. It'll certainly blow smoke good though if I idle the bike for a minute, launch it, and then chop the throttle and decelerate from high rpms. It wont smoke on power but it makes nice plumes from 9k rpms all the way down to like 4k. That's the only time you'll ever visibly see it smoke. It does not smoke on startup.

Anyways, enough about that. I don't think there's any remedy to that problem that doesn't involve a rebuild. I'm going to ride it like I stole it until it explodes. Better to run it to the ground than rust it to the ground I'd say.

But, my question is, is there any way to stop oil from making its way into the air filter? I'm about to put new plugs and a new air filter in and would rather them not get fouled up in a few hundred miles of peppy riding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 AM
919 Rider

Chuck in a K&N filter. Supposed to be oiled anyway.
Good luck in exploding your 919. I've read all your posts, I'm sure your capable.
I want to see post detonation pics. 😉

post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 04:23 AM
Pilus Posterior

Guy down the street got a 90's Shadow and it was burning oil at almost a qt per 2 tanks of gas. He was happy to have the bike, but then replaced the engine from a pulled on on eBay.

IDK how much work it is to swap an engine, but I think he was into it about 800~1000 and I think 200 was labor for a guy off CL to come out and do the swap.

So what you can do is put a foam cover over the filter or in the box. My other bike had a foam filter only and they tend to flow well. What you're trying to do is to block the oil, so a screen or very course foam will do the trick.

Performance shops sell "fuel cell foam", I bought it for a carb to keep the fuel from splashing around. It's very course foam that doesn't get eaten up by gas.

Here's a close up view: https://www.amazon.com/Jaz-Products-...49696958&psc=1

Notice how course it is, it would be VERY high flow.

Get a block of that, place it in the box and it should catch most of the oil and keep the filter pretty dry. Remember, the air is flowing the other direction, so shouldn't be that hard to keep it dry.

My guess is that the oil would be coming from an intake tube from the crank case. Had an old Toyota that has a folded up mesh screen in the valve cover (from the factory) that caught the oil being pulled in from the crankcase.

The plugs are a bit more of a challenge, maybe a different heat range? That's just a wild guess, but maybe more exposed or you can spray in some cleaner every so often.

Basically, it's an issue of finding the source. If it's from the crank case into the intake path, that pretty easy to solve with foam. If it's past the valve guides, new valve seals will do the trick, if it's from the rings... don't have a good solution there unless the rings are locked up and you can soak them free.

I simple blow by test will tell you the source.

I thought there was some trick to blowing out the spark plugs, but I don't remember how. Maybe something like a forced downshift, the hit the gas. I think it was an old muscle car trick to flush out the build up after a few runs.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Just ticked over 50k miles on mine and its surely on its way out. I've made threads about my suspicion of it being down on power. Pretty sure I have blow-by (oil in the airbox/air filter) and also worn valve guides/seals. It's been burning oil since at least two years ago when I was told white smoke was coming out of the tailpipe at the end of the front straight during a track day. Had maybe 28k miles on it then. It's not that bad yet I'd say, after about 3500 miles the oil went from the high level in the sight glass to about mid-way. Not sure how much that is, but at least I don't need to add oil before changes yet. It'll certainly blow smoke good though if I idle the bike for a minute, launch it, and then chop the throttle and decelerate from high rpms. It wont smoke on power but it makes nice plumes from 9k rpms all the way down to like 4k. That's the only time you'll ever visibly see it smoke. It does not smoke on startup.

Anyways, enough about that. I don't think there's any remedy to that problem that doesn't involve a rebuild. I'm going to ride it like I stole it until it explodes. Better to run it to the ground than rust it to the ground I'd say.

But, my question is, is there any way to stop oil from making its way into the air filter? I'm about to put new plugs and a new air filter in and would rather them not get fouled up in a few hundred miles of peppy riding.

If the airbox is getting oiled from the crankcase, the only get around fix I can see is to convert from closed crankcase system to open.
In other words, don't have the crankcase ventilating to the airbox, but instead to atmosphere.
Like all motorcycles used to be like, as did cars.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

How much time does your front wheel spend off the ground? I've found that that number closely correlates to the amount of oil found in my airbox.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2019, 12:28 PM
SomeGuySomehwere

There's a downed 2007 with engine in the classifieds section, if you can get ahold of him.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
How much time does your front wheel spend off the ground? I've found that that number closely correlates to the amount of oil found in my airbox.
Well most of the time I'd rather keep it on the ground, but I don't mind if it just happens to lift off a bit either. At this point, winter is the only time it's even got enough power to pull wheelies anymore anyways so I get them all in now while I can. For the amount of abuse this motor has been through I kind of expect to be at about this point. I don't think it'll ever explode if I make sure it's always got oil....*knocks on wood*

I'll see if I can fashion something like my own catch can, so I can get the best of both worlds in terms of oil not going into my oil filter and not just spraying oil fumes out into the world.

Other than that, at this point I'm just making sure it's got good gas, oil and practice not having chains explode on me anymore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode