the best $7.70 i have spent - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

the best $7.70 i have spent

like it says above... 7.70 for the HONDA sparkplug tool...

my freakin #3 sparkplug came loose again... grrrrrrr...

i went and bought the correct honda exhaust gaskets *(i had put the aftermarket "these will fit" ones on" and i had used a universal adapter on a socket the last time to tighten ole #3..

anyway this morning my lovely mary accompanied me back to the parking lot to keep me company and fetch the tools i threw...

i somehow managed to remove and replace the exhaust gaskets without stripping anything....(miracle)... and upon cranking the bike to listen for a leak... i heard one..... soooo off came the sparkplug wires and i used the proper tool i had picked up at the dealership and tightened that little bastard down properly (started to use red loctite... but didnt) and put it back together.... ahhh nothing but I4 music with no hissing percussion...

sooooooooo long story short if you are going to change plugs... buy that cheap ugly little tool... it is worth twice its weight in gold....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I bought one last time I had to order a part. Can't wait to try it. I threw a few tools last time I wrangled with #3.

post #3 of 16 Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Nice to hear that I'm not alone in the Tool hurling sport!

funny story...

I was in the basement last week and with work being so crazy, putting in 80'ish hours a week I've been a little on the crabby side! Well back on track, I was down in the basement and looking for a tool (go figure, I couldn't find what I wanted) and started to get a little frustrated. I gave up and sat down to collect myself and there in the corner was the Throwing Knives I'd misplaced about a year ago! ADD kicks in.... forgot about the tool I couldn't find and picked the knives up.... proceeded to throw them at a piece of wood I had and from up stairs I hear "Steve? I need to do laundry... Is it safe to come down or should I wait until you find the tool your looking for?"

Instantly I started Laughing at the whole situation, and explained that I was sorry for being crabby lately and that I was just playing down here. On Mothers day I have to take time to remember that she is the glue that holds me in one piece and when I need help she is there to go out in the parking lot/drive/yard to help me pick up tools!

post #4 of 16 Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

glad you got the tool. I found that if you have the valve case off it is really easy to get to plug #3

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Sheepdog

I haven't had to change plugs in my 919 yet, but I keep hearing about how hard the #3 plug is to get out and that you need the spark plug wrench that comes with the bikes toolkit. Well, I have a 2007 and it didn't come with anything other than the "helmet holder" and an allen wrench. My qestion is this: how many kinds of spark plug wrenches were tried before it was determined that you absolutely needed the honda wrench? I have about 10 different spark plug wrenches of different sizes, lengths, with & without swivel-nuckles, etc. Is it likely that I will still need to buy one of the (cheaply made) Honda wrenches?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
I haven't had to change plugs in my 919 yet, but I keep hearing about how hard the #3 plug is to get out and that you need the spark plug wrench that comes with the bikes toolkit. Well, I have a 2007 and it didn't come with anything other than the "helmet holder" and an allen wrench. My qestion is this: how many kinds of spark plug wrenches were tried before it was determined that you absolutely needed the honda wrench? I have about 10 different spark plug wrenches of different sizes, lengths, with & without swivel-nuckles, etc. Is it likely that I will still need to buy one of the (cheaply made) Honda wrenches?
i went through my craftsman tool supply... i bought a set of universal type (swivel) extensions... i bought a wobble extension set.... i tightened that damn plug on 4 different occasions and each time it backed out within 25 miles...

i used the proper honda tool (it is a awesome thing) and i rode the scenic route to and from work (+- 110 miles) and nice and tight...

top of that it is a bitch to get anything into that #3 hole...(thats what she said)

post #7 of 16 Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Livin the dream

+1 on the tool throwing. I have flung many a tool across the garage floor.

I used to have a 1968 Firebird. I bought parts from a classic car dealer. They actually rated the install by the cuss word. If it was a 10 cuss word install you knew it was pretty tough and might be worth having them do it for you.

Funny thing is, they were pretty accurate.

Doug

post #8 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Tirone

When I bought my new 2007 919 last year it came with a full toolkit (about a dozen tools including spark plug tool).
But this is Australian bike
Phil

post #9 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Sheepdog

Well, I'm extorting $75 worth of store credit out of my dealer for not being able to get me an OEM windscreen (that they promised me when I bought the bike,) so I guess I will add the Honda sparkplug socket to my collection with part of the credit. Thanks for the info.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #10 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

So, Honda stopped giving its new bike buyer a tool kit - pretty nice of them !

post #11 of 16 Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
Well, I'm extorting $75 worth of store credit out of my dealer for not being able to get me an OEM windscreen (that they promised me when I bought the bike,) so I guess I will add the Honda sparkplug socket to my collection with part of the credit. Thanks for the info.
I just got the spark plug tool a few weeks ago and haven't used it yet, but my experience doing it without was:

I used a regular spark plug socket (with the rubber insert to grab the plug) with a swivel and short extension attached to it. The problem came in when trying to get the swivel, socket, and plug out of the hole with the frame being directly above the #3 plug. I had to remove the rubber insert get the plug loose, remove the socket, then figure out how to fish the plug out of there. Finally fished it out using the spark plug wire.

It took me over an hour on that one plug that should have taken 5 mins, and sent my BP into the red zone

Looking forward to doing it with the right tool.

post #12 of 16 Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Looking forward to doing it with the right tool.
when i tightened the plug for the last time with this little metal miracle... it took 30 seconds.... ahhhhhh...

post #13 of 16 Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
like it says above... 7.70 for the HONDA sparkplug tool...

my freakin #3 sparkplug came loose again... grrrrrrr...

i went and bought the correct honda exhaust gaskets *(i had put the aftermarket "these will fit" ones on" and i had used a universal adapter on a socket the last time to tighten ole #3..

anyway this morning my lovely mary accompanied me back to the parking lot to keep me company and fetch the tools i threw...

i somehow managed to remove and replace the exhaust gaskets without stripping anything....(miracle)... and upon cranking the bike to listen for a leak... i heard one..... soooo off came the sparkplug wires and i used the proper tool i had picked up at the dealership and tightened that little bastard down properly (started to use red loctite... but didnt) and put it back together.... ahhh nothing but I4 music with no hissing percussion...

sooooooooo long story short if you are going to change plugs... buy that cheap ugly little tool... it is worth twice its weight in gold....

Somehow I missed this thread ... That being said...

Sounds like you need a mechanic

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #14 of 16 Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

OEM Ugly Tool

I used mine today. Also, if you unscrew the plug wire from the coil on that side it gives you 8mm more room to put your fingers.
This only applies to large, author-riders hands.
Little bitty 125lbs Ninja warriors need not do this.

[
post #15 of 16 Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Somehow I missed this thread ... That being said...
Sounds like you need a mechanic

post #16 of 16 Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
Thought you'd get a kick outta that comment

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode