The 919 Stink. Sorry to start a new thread on this. - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

The 919 Stink. Sorry to start a new thread on this.

Please forgive me for bringing this topic up, I know it's been discussed for years here. I've searched through years of threads, but I can't quite find a definitive answer.

The stink from my 919 is unbearable. This is my fifth bike and I've never encountered anything like it before. My jacket and pants smell so bad after riding that I can't keep them in the house. It's so bad that I don't want to ride to work, stop at restaurants, or really go anywhere with it...it kind of defeats the point of having it. I love the bike and want to keep it, but also don't want to throw a bunch of money at the problem with minimal results. So, I guess my main question is, has anybody had luck truly eliminating the stink?

I already run 87 octane, so I know that's not it. I've read that some people have had luck with Power Commanders, but again they're not exactly cheap if it doesn't solve the problem. I've also read about changing to a low mount exhaust setup. My bike came with a single sided high mount Two Brothers setup, so I wouldn't even know where to begin with repositioning it.

Any insights as to my best options would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Princeps Prior

Well if you did research then you should know that your first thing to check is the Fuel pressure regulator. Some have tried a hotter thermostat. Some say a new fuel pump did the trick. A power commander isn't going to do anything. How many miles on the bike? Have the valves been checked/adjusted if over 16K miles? It's really a process of elimination. Changing the exhaust position is only masking the problem.

post #3 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bought it last year with 5900 miles on it and now have about 8500, so valves are a ways off. I've read all I could find on the subject, but hadn't seen anything about the fuel pressure regulator. Thanks, I'll look into that now. Maybe my searching sucks, but I haven't really found any success stories with dealing with it other than moving the exhaust.

post #4 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 08:13 AM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Changing the exhaust position is only masking the problem.
Since when? There are dozens and dozens of guys here with a low pipe that fixed the stink instantly
2-BKing likes this.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #5 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post

Since when? There are dozens and dozens of guys here with a low pipe that fixed the stink instantly
All you've done is move the stink so it doesn't draw back up onto you. It's still there. It just doesn't stink your clothes up anymore

post #6 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 08:56 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

900RR conversion doesn't get rid of the exhaust smell but it does move it away from the rider. After the conversion, I could still smell it at stoplights and in the garage a bit after the ride. Definitely gets it off the clothes though.

post #7 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 09:44 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Back when I had my 919, and the Baffelectomized cans, I went to the local muffler shop, and got a piece of Aluminized Steel exhaust pipe. I fabricated a couple of 5" Slash Cut looking extensions. I sanded and scotch brighted them until they matched the mufflers. I thought they looked pretty cool. Others gave positive comments on the looks. But what they did was, got the exhaust away from the rider and out to some moving air. Sounded good, also.

Then I got Satos. They didn't do quite as well as my home made solution.

I had an 06 600RR with a high exhaust, that was amazingly clean. BTW, that bike sounded nice and throaty, really nice for a stock exhaust.

The Super Duke doesn't stink any where nearly as bed as a 919. Different exhaust pulse, maybe the reason it does better. You can see in my avatar photo that they're tucked way up also.

post #8 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Discen

Has anyone tried contacting Honda about this issue ?? It is sad that it's so disturbing that it makes a person not want to ride it. Can you describe what best resembles the odor ? Is it eggs, raw fuel, or what ?

post #9 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech9 View Post
Has anyone tried contacting Honda about this issue ?? It is sad that it's so disturbing that it makes a person not want to ride it. Can you describe what best resembles the odor ? Is it eggs, raw fuel, or what ?
I was in a gas station and the cashier said she smelled gasoline to a co-worker when I was 15 feet away. My wife describes it smelling like diesel exhaust. It was super embarrassing to be on a full elevator this morning at work.

post #10 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
I can smell it to a small degree on my bike but not bad. If it really bothers you convert to a low mount exhaust and you won't stink. From what I've read in the past few years that is the only solution.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #11 of 58 Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
900RR conversion doesn't get rid of the exhaust smell but it does move it away from the rider. After the conversion, I could still smell it at stoplights and in the garage a bit after the ride. Definitely gets it off the clothes though.
+1.

After I moved mine, my stink was gone. Well, the stink that we are discussing

Like Mike said, I can still smell it at lights, it seems to be stronger when its cold out, and in the garage. As for my clothes, it is all gone. I work in an office setting and the smell was not OK. Showing up to customer meetings with helmet hair is one thing. Stinking them out of the meeting room is another . Just do the conversion and call it a day.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #12 of 58 Old 04-11-2016, 12:08 AM
oops hurts

Garage
Both my 919s had bad stink. This one due to a rusty fuel tank, I had to replace the gas tank and fuel pump and filter ($$$$) not cheap. No more smell. Whatever honda did to these things to make that smell they must know because these fuel line parts fix it. Could there be something in the fuel filters they put in the bike? Who knows. If Honda acknolwedged they would have had a nasty recall on their hands. Im sure they know what they did.

post #13 of 58 Old 04-11-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the input everyone. I was afraid my only option was going to be moving the exhaust. I really didn't want to have to do that, but it looks like I don't have a choice. I'm trying to find maybe a walkthrough and list of what parts I need, but I'm not having much luck with the search function. I've been stuck using the mobile site for the last month and can't find anything I'm looking for. If anybody could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

post #14 of 58 Old 04-11-2016, 01:48 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You need to find MarylandMike's thermostat thread, that may be easier to try first.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #15 of 58 Old 04-11-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
You need to find MarylandMike's thermostat thread, that may be easier to try first.
I have never come across the thermostat solution before! I'd much rather try this before modifying the exhaust. Thank you!

post #16 of 58 Old 04-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboom View Post
Both my 919s had bad stink. This one due to a rusty fuel tank, I had to replace the gas tank and fuel pump and filter ($$$$) not cheap. No more smell. Whatever honda did to these things to make that smell they must know because these fuel line parts fix it. Could there be something in the fuel filters they put in the bike? Who knows. If Honda acknolwedged they would have had a nasty recall on their hands. Im sure they know what they did.
I willing to bet it is the fuel filter. Especially since you and others who replaced the pump/filter reported no stink. I think I may order them and see if that helps. Mine seems to have gotten worse because it sat for a couple months. My tank is only a year old. Old stinky filter means old stinky bike perhaps? I wonder if they are meant to be replaced every so often?

post #17 of 58 Old 04-12-2016, 06:17 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I never did a thread on it. Just posted in a couple of different places. Below is a thread that The End did on his install

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ons-66034.html

post #18 of 58 Old 04-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Tirone

Installed Yoshi cans on my 919 = no more "stink".

post #19 of 58 Old 04-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Tirone

...roses lol

post #20 of 58 Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:

On mine the LeoVince SBK I had, did get rid of most of the stink. I plan to install it on the Tiger soon as Delkevik makes that mid pipe

post #21 of 58 Old 04-14-2016, 12:48 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Both my 919s had bad stink.
Just like Bigfoot, I don't think we'll ever figure it out... Both of your 919s had bad stink, both of my 919s have no smell at all.
I don't get it...

post #22 of 58 Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby bobby View Post
What does your Honda smell like ?
You cant smell your own 919 only other peoples.

post #23 of 58 Old 04-14-2016, 03:08 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Lets keep this thread going, it only started in 2002 :0

post #24 of 58 Old 04-16-2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Lets keep this thread going, it only started in 2002 :0
Even though the stink has been an issue since 2002, I'm pretty sure I started the thread in 2016.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Whenever I get a chance I'm going to start with the thermostat, and fuel filter. I'll report back if I have any luck.

post #25 of 58 Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshackleford View Post
Even though the stink has been an issue since 2002, I'm pretty sure I started the thread in 2016. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Whenever I get a chance I'm going to start with the thermostat, and fuel filter. I'll report back if I have any luck.
I see you live in Nevada.. Maybe someone in your area with a 919 can help you out.. Anyone in that area wanna hook a brother up ??

post #26 of 58 Old 04-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Illegitimi non carborundu

Some better results to report

I had posted on one of the other stink threads and said I was going to try the hotter thermostat.
Well, it sure is not a drop-in, first of all the head passage has 'fins' :that the bail of the thermostat fit in . Anti-rotation is my guess. The problem is that the new recommended thermostat has a wider bail and won't fit inside the gap. I tried to rotate the thermostat every position but the temperature sensor sticking into the passage blocked it too. I seriously considered grinding out a larger gap between the fins but then I would have had to flush the coolant system because I never could figure out a fool proof way to block shavings from staying inside.

So, just to eexperiment and not modify the engine (yet) I chose to modify the thermostat. I measured the gap in the head casting coolant thermostat housing and then CAREFULLY ground down the width of the side of the Bale. Not evenly on both sides of the bale leg but instead on one side but so that instead of horizontal the thermostat was angled to clear the temperature sensor. It is very hard not to hit the spring...I sure would get another thermostat if I nicked the spring in this mod.

Then I ground down the side of the thermostat flange until it just fit in the head recess. Only about 1/3 of the edge needs narrowed. If done carefully with a hand grinder there will not be a gap uncovered between the untouched edge of the flange and the top edge of the coolant passage. Measure twice, cut one half and go slow!!! Unfortunately, this time I did not take pictures as for sure a pic is worth a thousand words.

Note: I just removed the two housing bolts and moved it aside, I did not disconnect any hose clamps. I did not drain the coolant system and only needed a pint or so replacement coolant. Took off the fuel tank to allow access to pressure cap.

So,how did it do?

Yes, it DID reduce the stink a lot and I actually think the performance might have gotten minutely better. As per the other thread, what made a big difference was mounting Devil carbon cans that exhaust a couple inches further back and straight back instead of at an up angle. Love the throated sound too!

post #27 of 58 Old 04-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider919 View Post
I had posted on one of the other stink threads and said I was going to try the hotter thermostat.
Well, it sure is not a drop-in, first of all the head passage has 'fins' :that the bail of the thermostat fit in . Anti-rotation is my guess. The problem is that the new recommended thermostat has a wider bail and won't fit inside the gap. I tried to rotate the thermostat every position but the temperature sensor sticking into the passage blocked it too. I seriously considered grinding out a larger gap between the fins but then I would have had to flush the coolant system because I never could figure out a fool proof way to block shavings from staying inside.

So, just to eexperiment and not modify the engine (yet) I chose to modify the thermostat. I measured the gap in the head casting coolant thermostat housing and then CAREFULLY ground down the width of the side of the Bale. Not evenly on both sides of the bale leg but instead on one side but so that instead of horizontal the thermostat was angled to clear the temperature sensor. It is very hard not to hit the spring...I sure would get another thermostat if I nicked the spring in this mod.

Then I ground down the side of the thermostat flange until it just fit in the head recess. Only about 1/3 of the edge needs narrowed. If done carefully with a hand grinder there will not be a gap uncovered between the untouched edge of the flange and the top edge of the coolant passage. Measure twice, cut one half and go slow!!! Unfortunately, this time I did not take pictures as for sure a pic is worth a thousand words.

Note: I just removed the two housing bolts and moved it aside, I did not disconnect any hose clamps. I did not drain the coolant system and only needed a pint or so replacement coolant. Took off the fuel tank to allow access to pressure cap.

So,how did it do?

Yes, it DID reduce the stink a lot and I actually think the performance might have gotten minutely better. As per the other thread, what made a big difference was mounting Devil carbon cans that exhaust a couple inches further back and straight back instead of at an up angle. Love the throated sound too!
Glad to hear that it reduced the stink for you too.

This is the one I used.

Amazon.com: Stant 45849 SuperStat Thermostat - 195 Degrees Fahrenheit: Automotive

It was a very close fit. I had to rotate it to one particular position where it would nearly fully seat, then I had to use a dremel tool on one side of the flange to get it to set perfectly into the 9'er thermostat housing.

post #28 of 58 Old 04-16-2016, 10:04 PM

Yup, that's exactly what I used except the side of the bail away from the flange tapered larger. There was NO position it would fit in in the head casting because of the protruding temp sensor. I thought I might have added another copper washer to raise the probe and gotten it in but I was worried the spring movement might catch it...hence the surgery on the wider bale so I could both fit it in the gap in the internal fins and rotate the other sides unmodified bail down and clear the probe. Here are some pictures of the cans I put on the bike ( old pic from when doing wiring) that also helped re-direct the exhaust.

The box (where I saved the old thermostat just in case)
the O-ring needed
the place where my bale was twice as wide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the box.JPG (95.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg The Ring.JPG (389.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg The bail was wider here.JPG (304.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg the mess of wiring projects.JPG (363.9 KB, 21 views)

post #29 of 58 Old 04-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Discen

Why not just buy an oem honda replacement ?? How much more can it possibly be... I mean, all this crap like modifying the t stat, or hacking up the engine sounds ridiculous. Buy the one that fits and be done with it !!

post #30 of 58 Old 04-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Why not just buy an oem honda replacement ?? How much more can it possibly be... I mean, all this crap like modifying the t stat, or hacking up the engine sounds ridiculous. Buy the one that fits and be done with it !!
The purpose is to get a higher temp thermostat to get rid of the stink. Since you are a Honda tech, can you find one that fits? 195 degree

post #31 of 58 Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The purpose is to get a higher temp thermostat to get rid of the stink. Since you are a Honda tech, can you find one that fits? 195 degree
Ditto.
As far as I know Honda only makes the one thermostat that would fit the 919 as shown on the online parts suppliers (and a query to the parts desk of local Honda dealer) . Maybe a Honda tech could figure out if there is a suitable alternate from another model?

Note: Instead of doing the 24K service myself a couple of years ago (along with fork overhaul and some other mech stuff) I had the dealer do [ I paid but it hurts!!!] and the first item on my list was for them to troubleshoot the rich stinky exhaust. Report: Everything was in spec. Talked with them about leaning it out but was told "No way because you will burn your valves." I had been considering a Power Commander but the only one for 919s will not adjust how I wanted so no on that.

post #32 of 58 Old 04-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider919 View Post
Ditto.
As far as I know Honda only makes the one thermostat that would fit the 919 as shown on the online parts suppliers (and a query to the parts desk of local Honda dealer) . Maybe a Honda tech could figure out if there is a suitable alternate from another model?

Note: Instead of doing the 24K service myself a couple of years ago (along with fork overhaul and some other mech stuff) I had the dealer do [ I paid but it hurts!!!] and the first item on my list was for them to troubleshoot the rich stinky exhaust. Report: Everything was in spec. Talked with them about leaning it out but was told "No way because you will burn your valves." I had been considering a Power Commander but the only one for 919s will not adjust how I wanted so no on that.
I have had the 195 degree thermostat on my bike for ~40K miles and no ill effects and I check the valves every 16K miles. I doubt that running 1/4 scale on the temp gage is going to hurt. The below link to a Honda Fuel injection book page 79 has a couple of paras on how the FI map is affected at low coolant temps, so the theory is that the EFI is adding fuel to warm up the engine, when that never happens on the 919 the mixture just stays rich...thus the stink.

https://books.google.com/books?id=wC...rcycle&f=false

post #33 of 58 Old 04-19-2016, 03:25 AM
geek rider

Garage
Quote:
I have had the 195 degree thermostat on my bike for ~40K miles and no ill effects and I check the valves every 16K miles. I doubt that running 1/4 scale on the temp gage is going to hurt. The below link to a Honda Fuel injection book page 79 has a couple of paras on how the FI map is affected at low coolant temps, so the theory is that the EFI is adding fuel to warm up the engine, when that never happens on the 919 the mixture just stays rich...thus the stink.

https://books.google.com/books?id=wC...rcycle&f=false
Nice book!

post #34 of 58 Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 AM
Discen

Before running a higher temp thermostat, I would try to change the temperature sensor and trick it into "seeing" a hotter temperature.

post #35 of 58 Old 04-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
Before running a higher temp thermostat, I would try to change the temperature sensor and trick it into "seeing" a hotter temperature.
That would probably work too....or maybe some sort of resistor in the circuit.

post #36 of 58 Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
+1 Are you able to get a 195* Honda thermostat that's an exact fit? If so sign me up!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #37 of 58 Old 04-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Discen

Quote:
+1 Are you able to get a 195* Honda thermostat that's an exact fit? If so sign me up!
Gimme a few days guys. I'll look into it.

post #38 of 58 Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Gimme a few days guys. I'll look into it.
Super ditto that! I would love to take the Frankenstein out and put in an Un-mod.
But I will never go back to 185 thermostat. Even on 102 degree days in the summer the bike seems happier and the fan runs at the same cuton temp with no overheat ever. And it definitely runs better in the winter. Of course a Texas Gulf Coast winter is in the high 30's (Ha Ha).
I just don't understand why Honda picked such a low op temp?

post #39 of 58 Old 04-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Tirone

Even the 919's little brother, 599 (CB600F), has the stink issue!

Honda should have just given both of them the lower exhaust like their Big Daddy, CB1300 has!

post #40 of 58 Old 04-23-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
Even the 919's little brother, 599 (CB600F), has the stink issue!

Honda should have just given both of them the lower exhaust like their Big Daddy, CB1300 has!
But some of us only buy the 919 because of the under-seat exhaust. If I wanted low single or double cans I would buy a different bike. I am on my second one as I was run over by a cager on my first one. The performance can be duplicated or bettered with other models or even (sacrilege) another brand. But I put up with some of the poor qualities of the bike because the total package just does it for me. Bought my first one (a 2004) in Jan 2005 and have been addicted ever since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode