The 919 and a PackJack - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 08-07-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The 919 and a PackJack

I just bought an '02 919 and I am in love. I have been a cruiser guy for sometime now but I just wanted to get a bike for around town and for fun.

So the 919 became that bike.

With that said...ahhh...the joys of maintainence.

I want to maintain my chain but I need a lift to get that wheel up. I just want something for that sole purpose. I dont need to spend tons of cash. I came across the thread that talks about a PackJack. I thought this was a fairly cool and inexpensive item for what I want.

Looking around the web, I dont see tons of talk about it. Anyways...many people out there have one of these? If so, what do you think of them?

To go along with that...stupid question but I am going to ask. There is the spool type and the axel type....do I need the axel type if I get one? Yeah....I am not a mechanical type person as you can probably guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
^ It's a song

Just get a Pitbull rear stand and be done with it. You won't regret it one bit. I think the new ones have the reversible attachments so you could use spools or lift without them. I don't have spools on my bike but I feel that it's sturdy enough to do some pretty heavy wrenching without worrying about the bike moving around.

Travis - 2006 919
post #3 of 40 Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Pierre-Marc

do a search on this site for phobman stand...it is built by a fellow WT member
and is a great stand and at a great price

post #4 of 40 Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Phobman stand will do the job.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #5 of 40 Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The Phobman is exactally what I am looking for...hopefully I can get one

post #6 of 40 Old 08-07-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

...I contacted him...but if anyone out there has one for sale....PM me. I am looking to get one quickly (if at all possible)

post #7 of 40 Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Holy crap, the pack jack is brilliant.

The Shadow was kind enough to show me how to use a 2x4 and some muscle to lift my back end. I had lumber stacked in my garage, so the cost was effectively $0.

He also crafted this, which seems easy enough to replicate.

post #8 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Tirone

I bought myself the PackJack last year and I am happy with it as it is easy to carry around - fit nicely under the seat.

I got myself the new type of PackJack - the hybrid as it can be used on axle or spool type.... You can email Greg of PackJack and ask about the hybrid... the price is the same as the axle or spool type...

Just sharing....

post #9 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Tesserarius

Phobman stands are great. There are alot of satisfied customers here. Here's what I have, because the phobman won't work with my exhaust.

Motorcycle Swingarm Rear Stand

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
Phobman stands are great. There are alot of satisfied customers here. Here's what I have, because the phobman won't work with my exhaust.

Motorcycle Swingarm Rear Stand

how do you like that stand? Do you think its sturdy or is it another cheap POS item from HF?

post #11 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
how do you like that stand? Do you think its sturdy or is it another cheap POS item from HF?
I have one for the rear, though with them being on sale, I might pick up another for the front. I already have the front adapters.

The stand itself is well made and I think plenty sturdy. The last one I have that I bought off of ebay actually bent under the weight of the bike.

The only problem I have is the design of the stand does not give it good leverage to lift the bike. It is fairly hard to lift the bike off of the ground, much harder than other stands I have used. Once it is on the stand, it is solid.

post #12 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Former 919er

In the meantime, here's a video showing a way to do it with the sidestand. Great for when on a road trip too. He seems to advance the wheel a little far and he seems to rush it a bit, but you get the idea.

I now use a rear swingarm stand. BTW - someone here posted a great tip to help get the bike up on a rear stand: Put a piece of wook under the sidestand to get the bike closer to level. Then you don't have to work so hard to do that from the rear of the bike when you put it up!

‪How to Oil a Motorcycle Chain without using a Center Stand‬‏ - YouTube

post #13 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Le So Cal Troll

i just use a floor jack at home to prop the ass end up on the side stand.... but that pack jack is sweet.... hmm i got some extra C channel layin around. project for the day?

post #14 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
This just happened.

I was just trying to check the oil when gravity decided to be a bitch. I'm going to go buy a rear stand now.

FML.

post #15 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Le So Cal Troll

u get out from in between the bike and car ok?

btw... a rear stand wont give you proper oil readings as it lifts the rear off the ground... only way to check your oil properly through the sight glass is with the bike on both wheels on flat ground.

post #16 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
I'm ok, my pride took quite a hit though. I had to call for help to get it righted. Dude helped me get it upright, but I had to endure a lecture on motorcycle oil vs. car oil afterward.

My plan was to reach down and snap a pic of the oil window when I had the bike upright. Sadly, I moved just wrong, lost my balance, and slowly dropped the bike on myself and the car.

I need to adjust the chain, that's my real motivation for acquiring a rear stand.

post #17 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Oh wow Lucille!! Any damage to you, the bike or the car?

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #18 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Well that sucks.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #19 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleBrawl View Post
This just happened.

I was just trying to check the oil when gravity decided to be a bitch. I'm going to go buy a rear stand now.

FML.

Damage Report?

I use one of these in the garage to check oil levels:

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Set the bike upright off of the side stand, hold it with one hand and my hip, use the mirror to check the sight glass. They sell illuminated ones also.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #20 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Well that can ruin anyone's day right there! Why they didn't use a dip stick like I see on other bikes, we'll never know. But usually I'll get on a knee on the oil window side with the side stand down and slowly lean the bike over towards me. Have my shoulder next to the lower portion of the tank in case it starts to tip over, I just lean towards it and push it back the other way.

Hope there isn't much damage, I see the two scrapes from the tail bag's rack on the car... that sucks.

post #21 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing, gonna give it a go later on.

post #22 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Bike seems ok. Small scuff on the mirror, and scuffed up the GIVI rack.

Car is a little worse for the wear, has some dents in the door. But hell, those are now merit badges. That bastard saved me a lot heartache. If the bike had it the concrete, I'd be much more upset.

I'm fine, but I shouldn't have been mucking about with the bike while wearing shorts. Lesson learned.

The absolute worst part is that the guy I enlisted to help me pick it up had recently hinted that the 919 might be too big for me. I told him to suck it, and that I know what I'm doing. I think I just took two steps backward in that argument today.

(*note for those following the drama, this the Parts guy from the other thread)

post #23 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Well that can ruin anyone's day right there! Why they didn't use a dip stick like I see on other bikes, we'll never know. But usually I'll get on a knee on the oil window side with the side stand down and slowly lean the bike over towards me. Have my shoulder next to the lower portion of the tank in case it starts to tip over, I just lean towards it and push it back the other way.

Hope there isn't much damage, I see the two scrapes from the tail bag's rack on the car... that sucks.
I'm kinda small, and I have zero confidence in my ability to check it that way with out being crushed should things go horribly wrong. Of course the dude who rescued me promptly proceeded to check the oil in this exact manner. Go figure.

post #24 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Princeps Prior

he just wanted to show off. lol. I have someone hop on the bike and hold it level. Then I look.

post #25 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleBrawl View Post
I'm kinda small, and I have zero confidence in my ability to check it that way with out being crushed should things go horribly wrong. Of course the dude who rescued me promptly proceeded to check the oil in this exact manner. Go figure.
you could always put the bike in gear (which it should be when ever its parked) then get some type of strap that goes from the right hand side of the bike (attached down at the peg or something) over the seat and attached to a wall... then leave enough slack so the bike can stand straight up.... the strap is there so theres no way possible it can tip over on ya.

i completely understand being physically small and having a hard time moving a big bike around at low or non moving speeds. my dads buddy is a small guy... maybe 5' 2" and rides a bmw r1200rt... hes had the suspension and seat lowered and he drops it about once a month when hes stopped simply due to the fact he has to tippy toe on the bike.

i check my oil like mentioned... side stand out, me kneeling on the other side with my shoulder holding the bike up... id probably end up tipping over if i sat on the bike n checked it haha.

post #26 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
+1 That is a great idea!

Sorry about the drop Lucille. Don't beat yourself up over it, we all have done something like that.

I quit checking my oil level after a while, it never really uses any. About the only time I check mine is when I am changing the oil and I use about the same method as nd4, kneeling with one hand on the seat and the other on the right footpeg and then lower it slowly back on the sidestand to make sure it didn't fold up

post #27 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

More $$ but a front a rear stand together work great, and hold the bike nice and level to view oil. I was recently out of country for 3 months and had to store bike. I put it in the corner and stuck a couple of makeshift pads under the tires for emergency weight support. My GF (now Ex GF) cranked it once a week to move the oil a bit. I'm glad to be back and riding again.

The Pit Bull stands work great. Sorry to hear about your little spill in the garage- it's happened to all of us at least once so don't feel bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (163.8 KB, 18 views)

post #28 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
It works just fine. I haven't used another brand of stand so I can't comment on the leverage. It lifts easily IMO, bike is very sturdy on the stand. I haven't seen any issues with the stand yet. I am tempted to buy one for the front as well.

Sorry to hear about the spill lucille. My brother had a similar experience, he droped his bike into the toolbox and put a crease in it and bike was fine.

I check my oil on the rear stand. It doesnt seem to make a ton of difference, but then again I put in the whole 4qts and call it good

nd4spdbh- Why should your bike be in gear when parked?

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #29 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
BTW - I learned two great tips from that vid. The method of using the side stand is the obvious one, but the other is using shop towels like that to control overspray.

I take two shop towels and do a light fold so that it catches any spray towards the wheel on the side and any drips below. It makes for a super clean job.

Lucille - sorry about your mishap. I'm glad you were ok and that there wasn't more damage. Too bad the only help on hand was THAT guy...

post #30 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Pierre-Marc

Luci...just be thankful it wasn't the ex helping you pick the bike up. Don't beat yourself up too bad over the tip over...I stepped off of mine in a parking
lot thinking the stand was all the way down only to have it slowly lay over on it's side

post #31 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

That sucks! At least the bike came out OK, I agree with Doc, those little mirrors come in handy.

post #32 of 40 Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Doing things the hard way

I bought a Pack Jack based on this thread - The hybrid version.

I have only used it a few times, but so far I really like it... pops the bike up within seconds for some quick chain maintenance.

The hybrid version is basically a slightly longer, but adjustable (bolt the two bits together at the length that works for you). It takes about a minute to readjust from say axle to spool. The hybrid version basically replaces the axle version they sold.

I was a bit nervous at first but it is quite stable. It took me a few tries to understand where to place it to pop it up high enough.

They were very friendly, and shipping (to Montreal) was quick.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
post #33 of 40 Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Tirone

Cycle Gear had some front and rear stands on sale. The rear has the pads to lift under the swing arm. $50 not bad. Looks just like a Pit Bull stand.

post #34 of 40 Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
2007 Honda 919

Got my Packjack today. It is a little expensive, but it works great, fits in my tailbag nicely, and allowed my to spray wax on the chain for the first time since I bought the bike 800 miles ago.

Hoping to not need a rear stand for as long as I can avoid it, got too much crap in my garage as it is.

I ordered the non-spool version, but they sent me the adjustable version which works great on rough concrete. It didn't work so well on my smooth garage floor, maybe I need a rubber endcap or something for some grip. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Anyhow, it worked great in the parking lot of the gas station by my house.

post #35 of 40 Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Or you could just get a Honda or SW Motech center stand, mount it to the bike and call it done. :P No need to find room to carry it, store it, etc., etc. :P

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #36 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

I've been using one for about a year and it works great. Except that hardware included for front lifting is POS. My bike fell off that front lift into the drywall of my garage - no damage to the bike but nice hole in my wall.

I'm refering to the HF $24.99 stand. If they are selling those for that much, it's a steal. I paid more for mine and would do it again in a heartbeat.

post #37 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Hastatus Prior

I would push mine over on the side stand, slide a jackstand under the center stand mount on one side. Not the safest but it worked well, had the rear tire off multiple times that way with no problems.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #38 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee
I would push mine over on the side stand, slide a jackstand under the center stand mount on one side. Not the safest but it worked well, had the rear tire off multiple times that way with no problems.
I do something very similar. I use a piece of wood under the rear set. Makes lubing the chain easy.

Spoiler:

post #39 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Tesserarius

When I changed the forks on my rebel I didn't have a MC jack so I improvised

post #40 of 40 Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Cornicen

I did it the asinine way and just bought a center stand for her 919.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode